NRL22 rifle choice help…..Please - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Rockeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NRL22 rifle choice help…..Please

Hey folks. I’m brand new here and this is my very first post.
I’m wanting to get a rifle/scope combo for nrl22 and run in base class. Now I know the norm is “shoot what you’ve got”, and I totally would but I don’t own a 22 rifle of any kind. Seeing as how the sport is so appealing to me though, I want to get one. Ive been researching my tail off and think I’ve at least narrowed my choices down to 3 rifles I like. 1) The Savage B22 Precision. 2) The Ruger Rimfire Precision, and 3) The Bergara BMR Carbon.
Now I’ve heard the Savage had load/ extraction issues when they first came out so hopefully that’s something they’ve fixed, but outside of that, I really like it.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these rifles ? Are there pros and cons? Is there a better choice or suggestion I should be looking at?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and all comments will be read and taken into consideration. I thank you all very much and thank you for having me.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:54 AM
Ol` Joe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Id drop the Savage and add the CZ 457 in the mix, just personal option.
The CZ and Bargara are the better choices of the 3, again JMO.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:23 AM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I started out in NRL22 with a Savage BTVS. We shot at 100 yards maximum range; the Savage performed very well and provided plenty of accuracy at these ranges. IMO, it will be fine for you. I'd also say that any quality 22 these days will do this. So, buy the one you like the best.

One consideration: if you are like many of us here, NRL22 will satisfy you for only so long. Then you'll be seeking further distances and more difficult matches to shoot. So if you buy a rifle now that will not 'step-up' with you, you'll need another one later.

Based on my experience, a fantastic choice is a CZ 457 MTR. This is a base-class rifle and will perform at the PRS open-class level, if required. But more important, IMO, is to buy what you like.

Don't be too worried about you choices now. Your preferences will likely change over time.
And after you begin shooting matches, you'll have the opportunity to see what others have- and what you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2021, 10:36 AM
Todd-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You certainly have the range covered. The RPR sounds good on paper but the reports on accuracy are all over the map. Same goes for the Savage.

You have a Bargara on the list and that would get my vote or if money is an issue I would look at the CZ 457 At-One. Both are proven and both have adjustable stocks to get things more personal for you.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:29 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I personally prefer shooting a 1022 for NRL. i have shot with bolt actions also, but when you have targets at different distances and have to adjust for that. when I am working the bolt, then i feel rushed to make any adjustments/look at my data card for the next target if its at another distance. wtih the semi i feel like i can take more time to set up for my next shot. i have timed out before with bolts on some stages.

and honestly, the accuracy of any of these rifles is fine. the 100y target we shoot is typically 3-4". one thing i learned the hard way on the unsupported stages, you definitely dont want to use something with a plastic stock. (using my savage b22 fvsr, mechanical accuray was fine though) you start tugging on the sling and it can really drop your POI, even on big targets.

the bad thing about using my savage b22 was if i was unsupported, i had to be careful not to rest my hand under the mag. it was causing misfeeds. i personally dont like anything where the mags stick below the stock. its just my preference. with a 10/22 i can lay the stock on anything all the way back to the trigger guard to get support. which is nice.

i would focus more on scope. something bright and clear. i like at least 16x, and i am using a 27x athlon currently. i dont use the turrets once i set my zero, even with the zero stop i dont really feel there is a lot of time to reset if i get 'lost' in my turret adjustment. so i have a dope card mounted on the side of the rifle and use my MIL reticle to make corrections. i usually look up the stages each month for distances, make a new dope card and mark it as needed for quick referrence. it gives me more time to get 'settled' between targets.

Last edited by Clem-E; 09-26-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:30 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I dont know anything about the others, but in my experience you cant go wrong with a CZ.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:11 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 457 or Bergara.

Welcome to RFC.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:39 PM
Boilerjack22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
You certainly have the range covered. The RPR sounds good on paper but the reports on accuracy are all over the map. Same goes for the Savage.

You have a Bargara on the list and that would get my vote or if money is an issue I would look at the CZ 457 At-One. Both are proven and both have adjustable stocks to get things more personal for you.
I just got a CZ 457 At-One Varmint, my Boyd stock was very poorly finished, very rough, very sharp edges, I got splinters from mine. The adjustable cheek and butt plate pieces, need a pry bar to move. I completely sanded mine, cleaned up all of the sharp edges. I got the adjustments done, and the stock is usable, the CZ parts are excellent. Before you buy, make sure your stock is not a kit, that needs to be finished.