Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Getting pop ups and other unwanted junk on my iPhone

809 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
I have been getting warnings that my phone has been hacked and notices that I’m the 1,000,000 user with a google logo and all sorts of stuff when I get on RFC. This also happened when I was a member over on the Marlin Owners forum. It got so bad that I deleted Marlin Owners. The problem went away but seems to come up ONLY on RFC and no other website. I have all of the security in place on my iPhone but the problem still persists. Help please or I’ll have to leave RFC as well.

#2 ·
Tapatalk seems to work good for a lot of our members Steve. What's your browser?

Maybe Eflyguy has some suggestions. I know our forum software is old and cranky and doesn't play well some of the newer browsers.

Frank

#3 ·
Sorry, got nothing. That stuff usually comes from hacked ads ("malvertising"), but I only access the site from a regular computer (Mac and Chrome) and have all of that blocked.

You might try a different browser on your phone to see if that makes a difference. If you're not using Chrome, I suggest that.

#6 ·
At the suggestion of RFC members, I installed AdBlockPlus on my Windows laptop. That only helped a little bit, so I started blocking ad websites by putting redirects into my "hosts" file. In the end, it has 15 blocked sites. 8 of those are for popup junk from RFC. I have no more ad problems on my laptop.

I'm very new to smart phones, and I don't access RFC from my android. But I've read that apple and android phones do have a "hosts" file buried in the operating systems that can be edited the same way. I just don't know where they are, so you'd have to do the research to find out.

On windows, the hosts file is located in this folder:
"c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/"

Here's one of my 8 RFC entries:
"0.0.0.0 deployads.com # Stupid RFC ad crap"

No quotes, the # and after is a comment so I know why it's there.
(I run "notepad.exe" as "administrator" so the edits are saved.)

I hope this helps.

#7 ·
Hey Guys

We are working with our ad server to isolate where these are coming from. I need the following info to help with this:

Regional Location
Device you are using
Browser you are using
And still the link of the page you are taken to

Sorry for the trouble on this guys. We'll nail this

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.