Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperStock 22's

65K views 315 replies 39 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 ·
As many of you know I, among others, have been pushing for a new class of 10/22. Many of our members have built "ultimates" over the years to the point of it being almost boring. No offense meant here but as I saw posted recently " anybody with an allan wrench, a screwdriver and a soft hammer can build and Ultimate" and while that may be over simplified it is somewhat true. And what do you get? A somewhat impractical, heavy, accurate semi auto with a stock that looks like the loser in an old fashion taffy pull. So lets answer a few questions first the most obvious being:

Why SuperStock?
1. A number of reasons, First I saw too many really neat old walnut stocked, metal butt plated vintage 10/22's being torn apart to build an Ultimate, If you insist on building these (and there is NOTHING wrong with building one) PLEASE don't use cool old vintage guns to do it.

2. I'm not sure how much you learn bolting together an Ultimate. You will learn much more about what makes a rifle shoot well by building a SuperStock. Alot of what you are given in a "Kit" gun you will need to figure out in a SuperStock.

3. Cost. I am disabled and money is short. I would guess there are a number of folks here that don't have an over abundance of money. When you build an SuperStock it is very easy to spend $10 here and $25 there instead of having to come up with larger chunks of money at a time (Stock $$$$, Barrel$$$$) Now I'm sure that some of you will invent ways to spend just as much on your SuperStock as any Ultimate BUT you don't HAVE to and you can do it in smaller chunks. Many things on a SuperStock will be practically free if you are handy at all and even those among you that are NOT that handy we have a number of folks like sawdust and Skeeter and others (even myself :D :bonk: :D ) That will be MORE than willing to share their knowledge.

4A. Rules.........not many. I'm not sure we even WANT this to be a competitive class although that is open for discussion. One thing that if I am going to be part of the leadership on this that I am going to INSIST on is that ALL RFC rules are followed in the posting and that we treat each other like ladies and gentlemen. We will NOT get into name calling and bickering if we disagree. The panic button ! will get pushed if you get nasty.

4B. Rules.... What is a SuperStock? What rules do we need. Obviously if it is a Competitive RFC Email Class than more strict rules may be needed. But most of us will be building a very practical squirrel gun, Rabbit blaster, paper puncher or plinker deluxe. Lets keep this fun with as few rules as is possible.....but that is just MY opinion. What is yours? What do you think? Where do YOU want this to go?

5. The guns. What do you think? I think if it started life as a 10/22 it is in. Carbine, Rifle, Compact, All weather, Wally World Special.....who cares? Here's a thought....how about our brothers and sisters with Marlin 60,70, 75 are they in? Can they play the SuperStock game? WHY NOT? Or just Rugers? SuperStock? Why not? I personally see NO reason the make this a one gun class. Do you? If so, why?

6. Do we need a forum for this? Some of you are already pushing hard to have a place for our NEW CLASS. What does SUPPORT and ADMIN think? would it be a burden on them. Can somebody help them with that end. I have free time and if needed could help with this forum to get it off the ground and maintained.

I hope you have noticed that for the most part I have NOT said "This how it will be" because this is NOT mine....IT is OURS. Lets do something fun, not controversial, together. Let's infest it with all the GOOD things that RFC is. Let's help each other build a fun bunch of cool little rifles and have great time doing it. Let's not forget our Sponsors either. They help us keep RFC going so let's get them involved. Okay.....there it is...........

EDIT: Change name from SuperStock 10/22 to SuperStock to better reflect the emphasis of this thread.
SuperStock

See less See more
#54 ·
full length barrel bedding

Already tried that Vincent, it don't work on my HM2/22MAG anyway. Not that Melvin doesn't have any good ideas, but that one in particular doesn't translate over.
:bonk: I like Super Sport Better than Super Stock, but in real life, I used to have a 1970 S/E Big Block Challenger, one of only 246 ever built, so I'll call mine an S/E, how's that? JH29LOE119948 was the VIN, still remember it..........

#55 ·
This is just a beginning guys. Let's give it a few days and see where we are. I really look forward to the exchanging ideas over the next few months. We all have lot's to learn about making skinny barreled guns shoot. Give us a chance to brag and a chance to whine when it doesn't work. What ever we do we will LEARN.

These guns will be a little harder to shoot. Shooting the T/C in Factory stock has taught me that.

My goal as far as my 1976 Liberty Carbine goes? If I get it to shoot as good as my T/C I'll be happy. Consistant .4" groups at 50? Is it possible? I'm betting it is.

#57 ·
Skeeter27red said:
but in real life, I used to have a 1970 S/E Big Block Challenger, one of only 246 ever built, so I'll call mine an S/E, how's that? JH29LOE119948 was the VIN, still remember it..........
A dozen years ago (seems like 100 at least)
'70 Dart Swinger 4 spd former 340 car with a 440 transplant . Only a front bench and pistol grip shifter for interior comfort . I made the window straps and light weight side glass to emulate the Hemi Dart . Loud , obnoxious and a high wheel-stander , made for a real scary ride at times . Sorry can't remember my VIN as it rusted off ! :p

#58 ·
HMMM...I have a couple old 70's carbines and then a couple of sporter barreled rifles with GM Octagon barrel and GM Fluted sporter barrel. I am going to have to do some stock changing and tweaking. I have to get the old carbines out, don't even know how the one shoots. I can't even remember what ammo I have the rifles sighted in with. :eek:

#59 ·
Tap said:
Vincent, you were the Champ of the TC Classic, are you a convert to 10/22?
I had a 10/22 28 years before I had the Classic. My 1976 model was purchased new in 76. I was a T/C fan for most of those years as in 1977 I bought my first Contender. The first pistol I ever shot was a Ruger standard model in 1963. I go back a long way with both companies. I've owned 5 or 6 10/22's over the years including my ex wife's first rifle and my daughter first (and only) semi auto.

I started modifying Ruger 10/22's in 1977 doing basic trigger jobs and such. I remember calling all over Los Angeles asking gunsmiths if they did triggers and bedding work on a 10/22 and the standard answer was something like "Why would you want to do that to one of those" :D :eek: :D They were a little short sighted do't you think? :D :rolleyes: My 1976 Carbine still has the same trigger work I did to it back then but it is gonna get better with this coming SuperStock thing.

I love my T/C but my Ruger spent hundreds of hours in the CA deserts and mountains with chasing Jackrabbits and ground squirrels and the like. A good conservative guess is that it has over 80,000 rounds thru it. A little tune up couldn't hurt!!!

#60 ·
Vincent said:
I had a 10/22 28 years before I had the Classic. My 1976 model was purchased new in 76. I was a T/C fan for most of those years as in 1977 I bought my first Contender. The first pistol I ever shot was a Ruger standard model in 1963. I go back a long way with both companies. I've owned 5 or 6 10/22's over the years including my ex wife's first rifle and my daughter first (and only) semi auto.

I started modifying Ruger 10/22's in 1977 doing basic trigger jobs and such. I remember calling all over Los Angeles asking gunsmiths if they did triggers and bedding work on a 10/22 and the standard answer was something like "Why would you want to do that to one of those" :D :eek: :D They were a little short sighted do't you think? :D :rolleyes: My 1976 Carbine still has the same trigger work I did to it back then but it is gonna get better with this coming SuperStock thing.

I love my T/C but my Ruger spent hundreds of hours in the CA deserts and mountains with chasing Jackrabbits and ground squirrels and the like. A good conservative guess is that it has over 80,000 rounds thru it. A little tune up couldn't hurt!!!
The guts in my Liberty model got well polished, lapped and gone over in 1978 when I was being trained as a toolmaker at the ripe old age of 23..
It didnt take long to figure out the trigger setup..:)
Befor long, I was makeing alot of my own inspection equipment for my reloading.
The old guy's in the house thought it was a good way to show me how the different equipment worked, and let me do alot of smaller job's just to learn..
That freed them up for more intence stuff.
Jed..

#61 ·
think a lot of ground was covered in a few days, from muscled up 10/22's to classic muscled up wheelie cars. wish i still had the ole' 74 vega wagon with the LTI, shortened 12 bolt, etc............

lets not let this new idea fizzle out people. keep those ideas, comments, opinions coming.

thanks all.

#62 ·
Just An Idea Dont Flame Me

first of all i'm in if you allow model 60.

what if we called it the 99SS, meaning 9 pound gun and 9x scope then you could call it super stock or super sport which ever you like
and do what ever you could AFFORD or PREFERE

good luck and good shootin'
Chromie

#63 ·
My thinking,a super stock gun would be built off a stock platform,meaning stock trigger group,barrel,stock,block,ect,ect.Any modifications allowed as long as they are made to the original parts.A custom that looks just like a stock gun on the outside would be called a sleeper in my book.

#64 ·
Food for thought...
One thing that really stands out in our RFC community is its diversity. The rifles we read about everyday seem to fall into three categories.....box-stock, ultimate or somewhere in between. These purpose built "in between" rifles do need a label, even if it's a broad one. The intentions of my post are to get all of those 'in-between' rifles into a category of its own, and even sub-classify if needed. I honestly think Super-Stock fits this bill.... Whatever becomes of it, I'm just glad it's a community effort. :t
-NH

#65 ·
NHhunter said:
Food for thought...
One thing that really stands out in our RFC community is its diversity. The rifles we read about everyday seem to fall into three categories.....box-stock, ultimate or somewhere in between. These purpose built "in between" rifles do need a label, even if it's a broad one. The intentions of my post are to get all of those 'in-between' rifles into a category of its own, and even sub-classify if needed. I honestly think Super-Stock fits this bill.... Whatever becomes of it, I'm just glad it's a community effort. :t
-NH
Makes sence and sounds good to me. :) :t

#66 ·
Chromie said:
first of all i'm in if you allow model 60.

what if we called it the 99SS, meaning 9 pound gun and 9x scope then you could call it super stock or super sport which ever you like
and do what ever you could AFFORD or PREFERE

good luck and good shootin'
Chromie
Flames? Why would you expect flames? I been HOPING somebody would jump in and say they wanted to build a SuperStock Marlin. I, for one, do not want this to be another "us and them" bunch of snobs telling people what they CAN'T do. Brother, you got a Marlin? Show us what you CAN DO! I think a tricked out inside, refinished stock, Mod 60 could be just the thing. The pawnshop about a mile from here has 6 of them and not one is more that $70! As stock guns go I suspect the Marlin might be more accurate than the 10/22 :eek: :bonk: :rolleyes: :t :t . Go for it I say. Anybody else have a comment. I saw one for $60 that I though my wife might really like if nicely refinished. It's got the chimunk or squirrel or what ever on it.....not my thing but I think she'd like it.

I think someone is missing the boat if they don't build one of those clip fed carbines (mod 70, 75?????????).

#68 ·
Uncle Jed said:
Utt,,Ohhhh!
Here come the Pump's, Bolt's and Lever's....
The 60 is Ruger's traditional semi auto competition. I still like the idea of a 96/22 like a SS version of what Ole' Man River has been building. I don't care. All I want is for us to have fun and share info........What say the rest of you guys????

#71 ·
Uncle Jed said:
I had to say that because my younger brother has a Model 9422 Winchester
in 22 WMR that on a good day with decent ammo shoot's as well as my 77/22 RM.. :confused:
I have seen it, and it left me scratchin my butt too..
Jed
I have a friend that has a 22mag 9422 that will kick most unmodified 77/22's butts on ANY day. The 9422Mag is very good and to be honest the Ruger 77/22 with out mods is mediocre at best. This is way off subject for this thread but the 77/22 series is hurting without bolt and barrel work. Alot of potential wasted.

#72 ·
Vincent:
Setting here smileing ,, thinking of the number of mediocre at best Model 94's in 30.30 and 32 Win Special I have seen over the year's compared to any that did shoot well..Aint happened here yet,,
Unless I put the Savage 99 a friend showed me once..
I allway's had thought up to that point it was the ammo..
Jed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.