Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:40 AM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No strike from firing pin

Hello all,

I recently acquired a J.C. Higgins model 25. It had spent several years forgotten stashed in the corner of a back room closet. It wasn't in terrible shape, some minor spots of surface rust on the barrel and magazine tube, but the bolt slid freely in the action and the trigger functioned. I disassembled it for cleaning and found it was missing the firing pin, right side extractor, and the extractor plunger. I ordered those parts, installed them and went for a test fire. No go, I cycled the the action to extract the cartridge and there was no firing pin strike on the casing. Tried again, same result. I am not familiar at all with these rifles, so all I can go by for assembly is the parts diagram I found on the Numrich website. Is there some sort of spring that I could be missing for the firing pin? I can't imagine how to adjust the headspace on this rifle or how it would be out of spec due to the barrel being pinned in, not threaded. Any advice, ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:04 AM
John Stimson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a link to a factory manual for a 583.2501 which is the later version of the Model 25.

https://www.histandard.info/manuals/.../1276D150R.pdf

How long is your firing pin? Did you get the firing pin form Numrich Gun Parts?

The firing pin needs to be fitted to a bolt. A used firing pin previously fitted may be too short for your gun.

Headspace is not likely the problem and a pinned barrel can be just as accurately located as a pinned one. Head Space is the depth of the pocket in the face of the bolt since the bolt stops flush with the breech face of the barrel.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:52 AM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the link to the manual.

The firing pin measures 3.057". It did not come from Numrich, it came from a place called Jack First. I had never heard of them but they had it in stock. I have posted a screen shot from the website, it does not list it as a used item
Attached Images
File Type: jpg higgins fp.jpg (563.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg higgins.jpg (292.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (7).png (140.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by gunwhatgun; 09-26-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2021, 10:22 AM
John Stimson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just measured 10 of mine and they range from 3.061" to 3.063"

The travel of the firing pin on limited by a protrusion on the firing pin that sits in a drilled hole. Will the firing pin when pushed forward extend past the recessed surface- the headspace pocket rear face? Does the firing pin move freely if you shake the bolt with the firing pin installed?

If the face of the striker that hits the firing pin deformed?
Old 09-26-2021, 10:57 AM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The firing pin does protrude a SMALL amount. As to the tip, it seems to be somwhat trapezoidal, but not a sharp tip. It seems to slide freely, it falls into the slot easily and falls out if you turn the bolt upside down.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:21 PM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
]Here are some pics of the firing pin installed. The first one is how far I can manually push it past the point that the hammer can put it. The second one is the firing pin as far forward as the Hammer can push it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg higgins2.jpg (327.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg higgins1.jpg (340.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by gunwhatgun; 10-01-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:02 PM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a video of another possible clue to what may be wrong.

https://youtu.be/Qc4oQQf3EQw
Old 10-01-2021, 08:19 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good pics. The firing pin is too short.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:25 PM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:40 AM
John Stimson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The video tells the tale. The bolt is not seating. It should not spring back from the closed position. The hammer energy is expended closing the bolt with nothing left for the firing pin. This may be improper assembly and /or fitting of the left extractor, the right extractor, or the top ramp all of which are spring loaded. I would check the extractors first.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Good pics. The firing pin is too short.
I have to disagree. The difference between the JackFirst FP (3.057") and John's shortest FP (3.061") is only 0.004". That's not enough difference to go from firing okay to no strike at all.

The video definitely shows the problem. This can easily be verified by the OP. Just hold the bolt handle forward while firing a round. (Don't worry. The handle's not going to break your thumb or anything.) Then manually eject the case and look at the FP strike. I bet it looks great.

Something is not holding the bolt forward like it should. I think that part is probably a worn cartridge lifter. I've seen that part reported as a problem in other threads. JackFirst may well have that part as well.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:47 PM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for the input. I am a little embarrassed that I did not think to hold the bolt and test fire.

To clarify, I have never owned this rifle in a working condition. I received it as an unknown. I discovered missing parts (firing pin, right extractor and plunger), and ordered them. The left extractor, plunger and spring are all original. As far as how they are assembled, from what I can tell they really only go together one way.