Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:17 PM
waynewjw

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Single Shot Model 41 - Whatís Wrong

Took my early 60ís S&W 41 to the range today. All it would do is fire the 1st round once the mag was inserted and that was it. No blowback to load the next round. Any idea what could be causing this?

It was throughly cleaned a few days before todayís range day.

There is a small hole drilled in the right side of the receiver exposing a spring underneath. The hole is MADE o IN USA. Doesnít appear to be factory, and wondering if this may be the cause.

Any thoughts??
Old 09-26-2021, 07:58 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So it fired the first round:

Did it feed the first round when you released the slide?
Did it cycle the slide during firing?
Did it extract the empty?
Did it eject the empty?
Does the slide move easily under hand control?

What ammo are you using? Under powered ammo could cause this as well as an over powered recoil spring.

These guns operate on the gas pressure developed during firing (blow back operated). If the ammo is under powered then the extraction/ejection process will not complete. The recoil spring must match the power of the ammo being used. But too powerful ammo for the spring will cause the gun to beat up its frame.

Need more info.

LDBennett
Old 09-26-2021, 10:01 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewjw View Post
There is a small hole drilled in the right side of the receiver exposing a spring underneath. The hole is MADE o IN USA.
That would be the extractor spring. There should not be a hole there, but that should not cause problems with cycling. Does the slide cycle freely by hand? If so, I'd try some Mini-Mags and see if they cycle. Somebody may have installed an extra power recoil spring for running HV ammo, which could be problematic if using SV ammo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2021, 10:08 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I've had cases where the slide did activate but failed to eject then reinserted the spent case straight into the chamber. The slide actuation was so quick that I didn't even notice it at the time, and the end result looked exactly like the slide didn't move. This might be an ejector failure. Did you hear a click when you pulled the trigger? If so, then this might be the problem.

I think LD gave you a really good trouble shooting guide.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:28 AM
waynewjw

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In answer to LDís questions

Did it feed the first round when you released the slide? Yes
Did it cycle the slide during firing? Didnít appear to although I was more focused on firing the 2nd round.
Did it extract the empty? I may have to go back to the range to confirm but it appeared to extract empty, reload next round but didnít cock to fire that round.
Did it eject the empty? I believe so.
Does the slide move easily under hand control? No so much.

What ammo are you using? Under powered ammo could cause this as well as an over powered recoil spring. I used Hornady 40 gn and Win Super-X 36 & 40 gn.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:09 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This sounds very much like someone installed a too powerful recoil spring in the attempt to use Hi Vel ammo. If that is the case the slide probably did not fully travel and did not cock the hammer in recoil. My suggestion is to replace the recoil spring and start using Standard Velocity ammo. An excellent choice is CCI Standard Velocity. In normal times I have found it to be the most accurate least expensive, reliable, ammo with good availability.

This is a target gun, designed for competition. The most accurate ammos tend to be Standard Velocity ammo. When you use Hi Vel ammo in a gun sprung for Std Vel ammo you risk beating up the gun in recoil. With the extra power recoil spring, some Std Vel ammo may not fully cycle the slide and/or feed the next round. Use only the OEM S&W recoil spring for best results and preferably use CCI Std Vel ammo.

LDBennett