Savage 1909 project - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-23-2021, 07:40 AM
Sav22 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Posts: 
1,705
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
You mentioned that it had feeding issues, I assumed it was the Triple-K magazine since reports on them often mention that but there could be some other issues. You do not show a picture of your bolt and looking at the chamber of your gun the left side of the chamber looks like it might not have clearance for the two prongs on the left front of the bolt - if those get bent or broken off it affects the feeding, they help keep the cartridge straight when feeding and keep the case against the extractor so it doesn't fall off before it ejects. The bolt shown with the case in the chamber is not quite fully forward in the picture, it would not stay there for the picture, the two prongs extent in front of the rim. I have seen a number of bolts with one or both of these prongs broken off or curled inward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage 1903 & 1909 chambers.jpg (555.6 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-23-2021, 09:34 AM
22lrJohn is online now
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Feb 2020
Location: 
King County, Washington
Posts: 
164
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
You do not show a picture of your bolt and looking at the chamber of your gun the left side of the chamber looks like it might not have clearance for the two prongs on the left front of the bolt - if those get bent or broken off it affects the feeding, they help keep the cartridge straight when feeding and keep the case against the extractor so it doesn't fall off before it ejects. The bolt shown with the case in the chamber is not quite fully forward in the picture, it would not stay there for the picture, the two prongs extent in front of the rim. I have seen a number of bolts with one or both of these prongs broken off or curled inward.
Thank you SAV22. Between your photo of the barrel and the photos of the bolt, I think I have a definitive path forward.
The chamber end of my barrel is in sad shape. The rifle will be on its way to a gunsmith shortly to have it removed and possibly re-lined.

I'll pop the bolt out today and check it out thoroughly. Another un-obtanium part, perhaps.

Thank you again!!!

Last edited by 22lrJohn; 09-23-2021 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-23-2021, 02:38 PM
22lrJohn is online now
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Feb 2020
Location: 
King County, Washington
Posts: 
164
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's the photo of my 1909 bolt. It certainly shows its age. If you look back at the previous photos of the indentation below the chamber, dry fire damage is obvious and the firing pin reflects those impacts.

I have called many parts suppliers looking for 1903 / 1909 parts, to no avail. Since I am committed to bringing this oldie up to safe operation, all I can see now are $$$'s for the gun geriatrician.

Thanks for the help in defining the issues. I will post the 'after' photos when the rifle is up and shooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13DECE91-8CCF-4D2D-A083-5BB51B77EBB0.jpg (485.8 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2021, 03:49 PM
Sav22 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Posts: 
1,705
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The hook around tips on both the prongs are broken off, it will not hold the rim as it should. Look at the prongs on the bolt sitting on the octagon barrel in my picture above, they should have rounded hooked ends.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2021, 07:13 PM
22lrJohn is online now
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Feb 2020
Location: 
King County, Washington
Posts: 
164
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
The hook around tips on both the prongs are broken off, it will not hold the rim as it should. Look at the prongs on the bolt sitting on the octagon barrel in my picture above, they should have rounded hooked ends.
I did notice the rounded hooks on your bolt photos. They appear analogous to some of the bolt action rifle extractors; sharp on one side rounded on the other, for extraction / ejection.

Have you ever repaired these prongs by welding then machining the hooks?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-23-2021, 08:26 PM
Sav22 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Posts: 
1,705
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not repaired any but it is on my list to do. The bolts seem to be fairly hard steel so I was going to experiment welding them with stainless tig wire so the added metal will hopefully not be really brittle. I have some with just the smaller tab broken. I bought a large group of parts for these a long time ago, unfortunately a great many of the parts are the ones that seldom break and many of the others are like the bolts, in need of some repair.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-23-2021, 10:52 PM
22lrJohn is online now
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Feb 2020
Location: 
King County, Washington
Posts: 
164
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
I have not repaired any but it is on my list to do. The bolts seem to be fairly hard steel so I was going to experiment welding them with stainless tig wire so the added metal will hopefully not be really brittle. I have some with just the smaller tab broken. I bought a large group of parts for these a long time ago, unfortunately a great many of the parts are the ones that seldom break and many of the others are like the bolts, in need of some repair.
Do you have any dimensions for the tabs from the good bolts? Do you have any spare firing pins???

On the hunt for parts suppliers...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-24-2021, 09:30 AM
Sav22 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Posts: 
1,705
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do not have any extra firing pins, I actually could use some to complete a few bolts I have... they're one of the parts that sells right away if you part out a gun.

The tabs stick out 0.078" from the face of the bolt. From the left side of the bolt the rounded end measures 0.050" for the larger top one and about 0.040 to 0.045 for the bottom measuring a couple bolts. The thin part is 0.040~0.042 for the top tab and 0.033~0.035 for the smaller bottom tab. These have to grab the rim of a cartridge but be rounded enough to allow the extractor to snap it off them.

These have to clear the step cut on the left side of the chamber, when they sleeved your gun they did not do that properly and the tabs hit. You can see in the pictures the step almost breaks into the chamber and on one of them the thinnest part broke out. This design will not handle modern high power loads for long.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-24-2021, 09:37 AM
22lrJohn is online now
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Feb 2020
Location: 
King County, Washington
Posts: 
164
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the measurements, SAV22. I agree that something is way off on the chamber end of my barrel. That is priority #1.

Next stop is the gunsmith.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x