Big difference in accuracy at 35 to 50 yrds - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:14 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenhater View Post
The parent case for the 17m2 is the cci stinger. Pressures for the 17 and 22 are roughly the same. Shaping the case causes work hardening of the brass, so it's on the brittle side. The rapid change in pressure causes it to crack. The cases need to be annealed but apparently it was mechanically too difficult to isolate the heat in such a short case. or the act would've slowed production too much. The 22mag is the parent case for 17hmr and there have been incidents of split cases there as well, though with a lower frequency. The mag case is much longer, therefore easier to isolate the heat...
Yes I know stinger is parent case.
But hm2 ammo measures case diameter wise as 22 lr does.
And some 22 lr hv rounds in some rifles will engrave rifles a lot. Driving up pressure.
They don’t split cases usually.
They should have used the exact stinger as parent case. They didn’t.

Wonder if We measured chamber diameters on all past made hmr rifles.
I’ll bet they are all over the place.
Same with measuring 22 lr chamber diameters.
And probably with hm2 too, fewer models made though.
HM2 using brass for case is overly sensitive to chamber dimensions.
And variances (smaller diameter) of cases per a lot would aggravate this potential problem even more.
And that Eley. Some of it was HOTTER according to reports. This too would aggravate the problem.

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-23-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:00 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately I never tried the eley and dont know how their cases held up. I assume they didn't suffer as high an attrition rate as hornady/cci, given the positive reviews. At least the newest lots of cci/hornady are much improved, my last test had only a 2-4% failure rate and groups were consistently good. My old ammo cracked about 50% of the time, groups were ok only at short range. I kept hunting distances inside of 40yds, the new ammo is accurate out to 100yds... that's as far as I've tested to date.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:35 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am going to run some of this hornady I have out of this new lilja barrel using the 5-20x FFP Element scope at distance.
Like 100, 125 yards. And 140 yards to see how the barrel and ammo shoots.
Need the right day to do though. Might shoot farther to check drop (scope turrent settings to offset the drop. 170 yards maybe.
I haven shot on paper at 178 yards on one outing. Killed squirrels that far too (lasered before shots fired).
This element scope sits higher than my Nightforce does. So need to check it

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-23-2021 at 09:38 PM.