Best sources for Light weight barrel ? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:29 PM
RH45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I've owned, and shot a bunch of 10/22s over the years, and I could get 1/2" groups @ 50 yards out of every stock barrel, with the right ammunition, which usually was some flavor of Eley.
That said, 25-30 years ago, I sent a stock 10/22 to Tom Volquartsen for his "sniper" conversion, that came with 1" group guarantee @ 100yards and before it went in, I had to shoot Eley Match to get 1/2 @ 50 yards, but, when it came back, I could get 1/2" groups @ 50 yards out of Eley "Standard" which was half the price of Match.
I would expect to be able to get 1/4" groups @ 50 yards out any of the top barrels, once you find the right ammunition. .22 rimfires CAN be finicky!
Old 09-17-2021, 07:44 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have 3 Kidd LWs & 2 Kidd ULW barrels. All are good shooters, easily shooting under .5” at 50. 2 of my LWs and one of my ULWs are exceptional, shooting .2-.3” five shot groups @ 50 with the right ammo on a good weather day.

I’d HIGHLY recommend a Kidd ULW over ANY brand with an aluminum stub with thin steel barrel liner like that used by WP.
I had an aluminum stub barrel years ago, and it did not hold up well too my use-shooting three 300-500 rounds from the bench in a day. After one season of that type of shooting, the steel bolt had battered the aluminum breech face so badly that it mushroomed and peened the chamber opening out of round. I sent it back to the manufacturer. They honored their warranty by repairing it- they shaved the breech face and ironed the chamber true. When I got it back, I sold it at a discount with full disclosure to the buyer.

If you look closely, you’ll see that the chamber is out of round, ovoid in shape- narrower at the top of the chamber- not to mention the amount of damage to the aluminum after the anodizing was battered away. Kidd receiver, Kidd bolt and trigger group. I replaced it with a 21” SS Lilja match barrel. The difference in accuracy was substantial, to put it mildly.

It was a reasonably accurate barrel, but I’ll never buy another that does not have a full steel breech face like the Kidd ULW or a VQ carbon fiber tension barrel. Given the difference in cost between the two and my positive experience with Kidd, I’d buy the Kidd for $205 vs the VQ ($340).

Respectfully,

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 09-19-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:30 PM
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
I have 3 Kidd LWs & 2 Kidd ULW barrels. All are good shooters, easily shooting under .5 at 50. 2 of my LWs and one of my ULWs are exceptional, shooting .2-.3 five shot groups @ 50 with the right ammo on a good weather day.

Id HIGHLY recommend a Kidd ULW over ANY brand with an aluminum stub with thin steel barrel liner like that used by WP.
I had an aluminum stub barrel years ago, and it did not hold up well too my use-shooting three 300-500 rounds from the bench in a day. After one season of that type of shooting, the steel bolt had battered the aluminum breech face so badly that it mushroomed and peened the chamber opening out of round. I sent it back to the manufacturer. They honored their warranty by repairing it- they shaved the breech face and ironed the chamber true. When I got it back, I sold it Add a discount with full disclosure to the buyer.

If you look closely, youll see that the chamber is out of round, ovoid in shape- narrower at the top of the chamber- not to mention the amount of damage to the aluminum after the anodizing was battered away. Kidd receiver, Kidd bolt and trigger group. I replaced it with a 21 SS Lilja match barrel. The difference in accuracy was substantial, to put it mildly.

It was a reasonably accurate barrel, but Ill never buy another that does not have a full steel breech face like the Kidd ULW or a VQ carbon fiber tension barrel. Given the difference in cost between the two and my positive experience with Kidd, Id buy the Kidd for $205 vs the VQ ($340).

Respectfully,

DrGunner
Thanks for that. Kidd ULW ordered!
Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think youll be glad you did.

DrGunner