The Watering Hole 10-14-2019 - Page 20 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #286  
Old 10-17-2019, 02:29 PM
aztarget

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
tucson AZ
Posts: 
1,922
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
Stumbled across this looking for something else. Thought it was kind of neat for you that have flagpoles.
https://www.harborfreight.com/lighti...ght-60555.html
  #287  
Old 10-17-2019, 02:39 PM
gewehrfreund's Avatar
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2003
Location: 
Here, and then gone
Posts: 
1,484
TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Any resident black bear knowledgeable folks here? In the Northern climes of the Northern LP and the UP of Michigan when do they hibernate? When do the start in the fall? Is it triggered by the amount of daylight? Temperatures? If by temperature, if the weather is mild until late in the fall or early winter will bears delay hibernation. If an extreme warm spell occurs mid winter, will they come out of hibernation, then return when cold weather returns? Will global climate change change bears and they wont hibernate in temperate weather?

Guess that brings to mind, do southern state black bears hibernate?
Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination (I was more of an upland bird guy), but first of all, bears are not true hibernators. They are deep sleepers and can wake up pretty quick as some of our biologists have found out over the years when we've been doing den checks in the winter for cubs, marking, taking biological data and possibly fitting with transmitters.


As long as they can find something to eat and it's not too cold or snowy, they will probably remain somewhat active. Though, as you suggest, it's day length (amount of daylight or lack thereof) that triggers the urge to den up. Changing day length is much more reliable indicator of what's to come than "weather", which is why most critters use it as their gauge.
Yes, during mild stretches in the winter, bears will sometimes emerge looking for food, then return to the den when the weather changes again.


In these parts, we have found that "den" is a relative term, and even though we have fairly severe winters, we often see bears (especially males) denning up basically in the open in depressions such those left by an uprooted tree, for example.


As for climate change, or not, and it's effect, or not, on bears, I think you'd better ask Al Gore or Greta Thunberg. Maybe it will only affect liberal progressive bears whose hair tends to catch fire easily.




Don't really know about those rebel bears, but I suspect they are more active in the winter than their wiser yankee cousins.
__________________
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" Curly
  #288  
Old 10-17-2019, 02:48 PM
wrwindsor's Avatar
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Location: 
Texas!
Posts: 
1,022
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good afternoon! Another nice day in paradise.
  #289  
Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 PM
COW 54's Avatar
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2009
Location: 
Upper Left Coast
Posts: 
3,861
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The waves crashing to shore in my neck of the lake. Scary... (At 11 AM this morning)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000308 lake chop.JPG (104.3 KB, 4 views)
__________________
Use a lid on your coffee cup. It keeps flying brass out of your beverage!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
  #290  
Old 10-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,012,071
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Al: Remember; Just because it's legal at the state level, doesn't make it legal at the federal level. Pot smokers are prohibited persons too. So don't get caught, or get your name on any lists.
Thanks Don. I'm well aware of all the repercussions pertaining to mwa in several different settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Yeah - beam seas in a houseboat is not pleasant, or safe.....
I know right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
CZ 452 Scout is making it's way from Texas to here and should arrive at FFL tomorrow.
POIDH when it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Beat me toit. Most if not all camera manuals like other things can be found online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Well two year old battery just said that’s all you get so am waiting for a tow to the repair shop. So much on going battery draw on the newer vehicles that even a higher capacity battery can only last so long today. Called ahead to the auto repair shop to minimize the repair wait. Things happen and figure it could be worse so NBD with today’s minor inconvenience.
Mostly in the winter depending but I put the Finn's 2012 vehicle on a maintainer/charger because of her less than frequent use long enough to renew the battery. The frigidity really saps the strength of em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Any resident black bear knowledgeable folks here? In the Northern climes of the Northern LP and the UP of Michigan when do they hibernate? When do the start in the fall? Is it triggered by the amount of daylight? Temperatures? If by temperature, if the weather is mild until late in the fall or early winter will bears delay hibernation. If an extreme warm spell occurs mid winter, will they come out of hibernation, then return when cold weather returns? Will global climate change change bears and they wont hibernate in temperate weather?

Guess that brings to mind, do southern state black bears hibernate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination (I was more of an upland bird guy), but first of all, bears are not true hibernators. They are deep sleepers and can wake up pretty quick as some of our biologists have found out over the years when we've been doing den checks in the winter for cubs, marking, taking biological data and possibly fitting with transmitters.


As long as they can find something to eat and it's not too cold or snowy, they will probably remain somewhat active. Though, as you suggest, it's day length (amount of daylight or lack thereof) that triggers the urge to den up. Changing day length is much more reliable indicator of what's to come than "weather", which is why most critters use it as their gauge.
Yes, during mild stretches in the winter, bears will sometimes emerge looking for food, then return to the den when the weather changes again.


In these parts, we have found that "den" is a relative term, and even though we have fairly severe winters, we often see bears (especially males) denning up basically in the open in depressions such those left by an uprooted tree, for example.


As for climate change, or not, and it's effect, or not, on bears, I think you'd better ask Al Gore or Greta Thunberg. Maybe it will only affect liberal progressive bears whose hair tends to catch fire easily.




Don't really know about those rebel bears, but I suspect they are more active in the winter than their wiser yankee cousins.
What Gunfrued said.
When I got stranded at the hunting shack for 5 days because of a quick overnight storm of 18" of very heavy wet snow before temps plummeted immediately after I continued to hunt for something to do and the first day after saw a bear pass by my taters. I'da bet a lot of money it didn't stay out much longer. They won't eat taters but lerve sweets, apples and corn.


Wealthy's apple betty should be out of the oven any minute. The cheap apple peeler is <$10 well spent with no aching cramping fingers by mwa.
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
  #291  
Old 10-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
21,977
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Woman in her 20's checking me out .....
That didn't go the direction I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
I had never experienced Sporty Clays, and found it to be a fun challenge.
Sporting clays is a blast, to be sure. If you enjoyed that you'll probably enjoy Five Stand. Sorta kinda sporting clays without the walking.

Not that skeet is easy but what makes sporting clays and five stand more enjoyable for me is the variety of the presentations. At the SC and FS fields where I shoot they change up the targets once a month so it never gets stale.

One thing you don't see at SC or FS... or at least don't see much of .... is that too-muchness you can see on the skeet and trap fields. You've probably seen it -- the guy with the $20k gun and the special glasses and gloves that go with it who will insist on bringing out the hoop to czech the flight paths if he misses a couple of birds because, as he tells it, they weren't flying right. No such alibis on the SC and FS fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
SOPHIA. Patsy and Lorretta movie comes on Saturday night. "A movie of a lifetime." On Lifetime Channel at 8 AM EDT. A must see for you. Then you can hear CRAZY.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
CZ 452 Scout is making it's way from Texas to here and should arrive at FFL tomorrow.
I really enjoy mine and it gets a workout whenever there are kids around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Don't really know about those rebel bears, but I suspect they are more active in the winter than their wiser yankee cousins.
The ones we have just move to lower elevations. Can cause some human-ursine interaction that gets game and fish involved if they start going gangsta on the trash cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Was pouring rain for the LAST two hours. It's let up now...
That's a beautiful structure, Cow. Glass? Or traditional paper?
__________________
Down Home Girl
  #292  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:08 PM
gmd1950's Avatar
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Mebane, NC
Posts: 
52,896
TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Check with me in a couple of months to see what my EDC, I was in the mood so to speak when I dropped by the LGS after my much needed haircut, couple of the guys sounded like Don and Sophia gushing over their 365's, brought a 365XL home, saw no real advantage in the regular 365 but the XL may be ooh tay. Found a few boxes of Cor Bon +P's (115gr), may be just the thing for Church Security duty, or not.

Feels funny in my hand but I'm so Glocked I'd be surprised if it didn't, they were going on about how soft it shot, we'll see..... I was just ready to spend some money on myself after all the outflow for the repairs and soon the flooring.






The factory nite sites are kinda puny compared to what I'm use to, daylight site picture is good, take down is nothing to get excited about, at least unlike some I'm willing to give it a try.

Pricy little thing, about $150 more than I paid for my 43x or 48 with Glock nite sites, maybe its worth it.

Side note, my "We the people" 43x/48 IWB holster fits it like it was made for it...nice.
__________________
https://mostlyrimfire.com
NRA Patron Member/GOA Life *Esse Quam Videri Ya'll*

Last edited by gmd1950; 10-17-2019 at 04:11 PM.
  #293  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
21,977
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Check with me in a couple of months to see what my EDC, I was in the mood so to speak when I dropped by the LGS after my much needed haircut, couple of the guys sounded like Don and Sophia gushing over their 365's, brought a 365XL home, saw no real advantage in the regular 365 but the XL may be ooh tay.
I think you'll like it.

I didn't want the bigger XL but what really sold me on the Sig 365 over the G43x is the grip size. It's the grip that makes most concealed guns not well concealed and my take after handling the G43x was that it might as well be a G19 if I was happy with a grip that big.
__________________
Down Home Girl
  #294  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:39 PM
gewehrfreund's Avatar
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2003
Location: 
Here, and then gone
Posts: 
1,484
TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Sporting clays is a blast, to be sure. If you enjoyed that you'll probably enjoy Five Stand. Sorta kinda sporting clays without the walking.


Yep!


Not that skeet is easy but what makes sporting clays and five stand more enjoyable for me is the variety of the presentations. At the SC and FS fields where I shoot they change up the targets once a month so it never gets stale.


Double yep!



One thing you don't see at SC or FS... or at least don't see much of .... is that too-muchness you can see on the skeet and trap fields. You've probably seen it -- the guy with the $20k gun and the special glasses and gloves that go with it who will insist on bringing out the hoop to czech the flight paths if he misses a couple of birds because, as he tells it, they weren't flying right. No such alibis on the SC and FS fields.

I know, right!?



The ones we have just move to lower elevations. Can cause some human-ursine interaction that gets game and fish involved if they start going gangsta on the trash cans.

Trash to be sure, but round here, bird feeders/seed is like a drug for them.

That's a beautiful structure, Cow. Glass? Or traditional paper?
Paper on Puget Sound!? That seems like it would make for one soggy bus stop in the woods.
__________________
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" Curly
  #295  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:39 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,012,071
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on the owe yourself one Sig Gerald. You like the straight stick triggers? I've always thought thats the way some rf & cf triggers oughta be.
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
  #296  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:43 PM
aztarget

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
tucson AZ
Posts: 
1,922
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wonder if Sophia gets a commission on those 365s. Seeing i think four of you bought one after her.
  #297  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:55 PM
SailDesign's Avatar
SailDesign

Join Date: 
Mar 2015
Location: 
RI
Posts: 
1,922
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Good report.
I can never find a Smith 48 at any kind of price I'm willing to pay.
I was lucky - found a brand-new 48-7 at my LGS at a time when I could afford what they wanted. Of course, that is never going to happen again. Ever.
__________________
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo

  #298  
Old 10-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
21,977
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
There is a cat on my desk. He's a huge cat. Often enough he sits between me and the screen but today he's in a playful mood and keeps pushing things off the desk. Not meaning to but just because that's what happens when he starts batting around the stack of receipts or flipping up the edge of the calendar so he can bite at it. I have to keep moving my coffee cup to avoid a spill.

How wide (deep) is a standard desk? His butt is against the wall and his head is hanging down over the front edge of the keyboard. Yep, he's a big boy.
__________________
Down Home Girl
  #299  
Old 10-17-2019, 05:07 PM
gmd1950's Avatar
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Mebane, NC
Posts: 
52,896
TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Congrats on the owe yourself one Sig Gerald. You like the straight stick triggers? I've always thought thats the way some rf & cf triggers oughta be.
Straight trigger works fine for me, I have them on a couple of my .22lr target pistols, AR's etc.

LGS had the nastiest S&W M17 (current model) I've ever seen, muzzle and cylinder face, forcing cone white with lead deposits, a look down the barrel reminded me of a sewer pipe, price sort of reflected the condition but...gonna have to ruminate on that one. I can clean it up but that always makes me wonder how else it was abused.

Side note Sophia, a good concealed carry holster will pull the butt into your side thus negating what you're talking about on most men, most women with their differing hip shape may not find that to be true. Use to crack me up that many PD's didn't realize there was a good reason the Ladies Duty belts were shaped a bit differently from the guys. PD's, one of the last hideouts of the Dinosaurs...
__________________
https://mostlyrimfire.com
NRA Patron Member/GOA Life *Esse Quam Videri Ya'll*

Last edited by gmd1950; 10-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.
  #300  
Old 10-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Wayne Sihler
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2002
Location: 
Shenandoah valley,Va.
Posts: 
849
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took the time after lunch to bring in the weather station that quit working. Evictied all the spiders and ants and dead bugs, washed out the dust, gave it some new lithium batteries, smacked it on the butt and put it back outside.

After all the rain yesterday the ground was a little soft and one front leg of the ladder sunk in.... almost threw me off as I came down. Jumped from the third step..no damage done.

Then I decided to take the M39a on a walk in the bottom, found a few beer cans that needed ventilation.....%%%% litter bugs.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x