Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:40 PM
JMKnowles
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Fashion Buttermilk Pie

Below is a recipe from a friend. I'm just passing on a fantastic recipe to my friends here at RFC. I hope you try this recipe if you like pies.

I got this recipe from a Great Aunt about 40 years ago. She had been making them for about 50 years before that. Take one of these to your Thanksgiving shindig. You can thank me later.

Old Fashioned Buttermilk Pie

1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 TBSP Flour
1/2 TSP Salt

Mix these three and set aside

3 Eggs
1 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Butter - Melted
1 TSP Vanilla
1 Pie Shell (I use frozen because I'm lazy)

Beat Eggs well
add buttermilk, butter, and vanilla and mix well
slowly add dry mixture while mixing. Mix well.

Pour mixture into Deep Dish Pie Shell and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Top should be golden brown. Cool and serve. Fantastic warm but does refrigerate well.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:57 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks really good. My wife is going to make one.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Best Buttermilk Pie....

.....nationally famous, featured on TV shows and cooking magazines is served at
"Yesterday's Café" in Rutledge, Georgia. Very tasty, looks just like picture above, with fresh whipped cream on top.

Ferox34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 11:59 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks and sounds similar to what we called a "custard" pie. Haven't had one in years, now you got me hungry.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:40 PM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the recipe. I made two the other day an they was mighty good!! My mom said they was like a pie her grandmother made that she called sugar creme pie. Whatever the name I'll be making it again!!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 AM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fixin' to make two of these today. One exactly as ingredients posted above and one "trying" to emulate Bubba's chocolate buttermilk pie. I'm sure at least one will turn out great. My ad lib one being very questionable...
Edit:
I finished baking the first pie exactly as printed above. I’m just a retired mechanic so maybe that explains some things, but I noticed near the end of the baking time that the pie had a pool of liquid butter/ oil that rose to the top, in the center. I had ladled it off and let the pie finish baking. The ladled center didn’t turn the nice golden brown that the rest of the pie had, of course. During the cool down, what was previously a high center, had now dropped. Nothing crazy, but it’s below the edge of the pie crust, still visually appealing. Now for what really matters, the taste. It tastes pretty good, although it’s a bit oily and the bottom crust is soggy. It’s a tad heavy and not what I would call a spring/summertime pie. If I were to make it again, I would pre-bake the ready-made crust for 5 minutes before filling; try to figure out a better oil ratio and serve it during the autumn/wintertime.
I wanted to try a chocolate version for our upcoming Mother’s Day get-together as well. From watching and reading the online recipes for Bubba’s chocolate buttermilk pie, it looked like there were too many failures, and things just gone haywire. I experimented with the above recipe by only adding 1 ˝ cups of melted chocolate chips to the batter. I didn’t get a high center, or a pool of butter/oil in the center during the baking cycle as I did with the original recipe. Surprisingly though, it crusted up like a beautiful European delicacy, with a hard, smooth, chocolaty shell. During cool down, the pie filling did drop a bit and the thin, sheened crust, had cracked. However, it still looked quite appetizing. The taste? Satisfyingly delicious. There is a hint of too much butter on the palette, but the pie crust bottom is not soggy. The wet/dry ratio probably needs a wee bit of tweaking (less butter?). And just as the original, it’s still too heavy for a spring/summertime pie, in my opinion. Probably perfect for a cold winter’s day.
Post Edit:
My daughter took a break from homeschooling and mixed up the second batch (the chocolate version). We tend to mix ingredients differently. Her: heaped, level or not to the edge of the cup—machts nicht. I tend to mix like I’m pouring binary agents for rocket fuel. So, with that said, the wet/dry ratio may or may not be an issue on the choco version.
Addendum:
The pies are completely cool now and my daughter sampled both of them. She tried the original recipe first. As she ate it, she nodded her head and declared that it was good. When she ate the chocolate version, an ever-widening smile appeared on her face. This one was pronounced a clear winner. She doesn’t think it is too heavy for a warm day and double checked that we were going to make another one for Mother’s Day. So, there you have it. Kid tested and kid approved.

Last edited by 62Ranger13; 05-08-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: results
Old 05-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Jdeere562

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Made one of these yesterday. Wanted to try it earlier, however buttermilk is unavailable in my small town. Made a city trip and picked some up while there.

Someone else referred to it as a "custard" pie and I agree. Never had a pie with custard, but my Grandma used to bake it in individual serving bowls and it was delicious! Mine turned out great, thanks for the recipe!

I followed the recipe, but did sprinkle some nutmeg and cinnamon on top before baking. I would suggest that, if you like those flavors!

Someone else made one with chocolate. May have to try that, it sounds good for the next go around.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Ferox34

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
my take

as an amateur glutton, to my palate buttermilk pie is lighter, less dense than a custard pie. Both are good, similar but slightly different. Sort of like the difference between whole milk and 2% milk.

Ferox34
Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Bullberry17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Butter Milk Pie

I did one yesterday at 4 minutes to go gave it a look and still looked runny closed the oven 4 minutes later opened the oven and looked like yours. Tastes wonderful a little rich but that's ok. First one I every tasted, thank you for sharing.
Bullberry17
Old 05-15-2018, 04:03 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bookmarked until the wife can read it.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 PM
49Wire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buttermilk...keeping in stock

I use the powdered buttermilk so I always have on hand for biscuits, etc. Way cheaper per oz than the cartoned kind. Usually in baking section, just use 4 Tbs per cup of cold water yields 1 cup buttermilk. Keep the opened tub of powdered buttermilk in the fridge and it lasts a long time
Old 09-03-2019, 03:49 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Sounds yummy! I am going to give it a try!
Old 09-04-2019, 04:09 PM
STEEL SHOOTER

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yeah now you're talkin

My dad used to make a mean buttermilk pie, even made his own pie crust. Thanks for the memories .
Old 09-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Rem504
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for sharing, I gotta make one real soon!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Neighbors invited us over for supper this weekend. Told them we would bring dessert. Followed your recipe and took the warm pie over to their house. Everyone loved it! Thanks for sharing.