Difference .22 rimfire rifles vs. spring powered rifles? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:49 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Smile Difference .22 rimfire rifles vs. spring powered rifles?

It looks as if I may wind up with an HW 30 in .22 caliber.
It's a quality, beautiful gun! But...how much, if any at all will shooting this airgun farble my .22 RF shooting? I have heard that springers need a whole new set of techniques. At 80, I find it takes me a while to change/relearn stuff.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:15 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
The HW 30 is kin to the Beeman R7. I have an R7 and it's a tack driver to 30 yds. in .177. You should not have any problems with shooting it. I am 73. A bit of a lighter grip and let it recoil in your hands. Since it requires only 18 lb. of cocking effort, it's easy to shoot often. I have a Nikon 3-9 EFR on mine as mine doesn't have sights. Beautiful gun, adj. trigger.

I'd buy a tin of asst. pellets to find which weight it likes best. They can be ordered from Airguns of AZ or Pyramid Air.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:24 PM
farrlarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beyond using the artillery hold, which alum572 already described, I think you will find that shooting your HW 30 will actually improve your rimfire shooting. Shooting airguns well requires more attention to be paid to trigger press and follow through, both of which will transition well to shooting your .22RFs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 05:44 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
It's a quality, beautiful gun! But...how much, if any at all will shooting this airgun farble my .22 RF shooting? I have heard that springers need a whole new set of techniques. At 80, I find it takes me a while to change/relearn stuff.
The gun moves around in your hands more than just a straight reverse recoil. Not harshly, but it moves. So start with a soft hold and experiment until you find a technique that works for that gun.

Many will tell you to master the artillery hold that lets the gun move around. I sort of agree. My approach is to carefully watch the sight picture and find a method that shows the rifles POA move as little as possible during the shot. Some holds will not produce a consistent rifle movement - that's what you want to avoid.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:03 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't let the term "artillery hold" throw you. It's basically just a light hold that allows the gun to move freely in your hands for the sake of consistency. Very easy to learn and do. The HW30 (Beeman R7) is standard equipment in most collections of springers. We have two. And, yes, as mentioned, shooting air guns carries over to your rimfire shooting.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:46 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
To be honest shooting the likes of an HW30 will not have any adverse effect upon your rimfire shooting.

The HW30 is a nicely engineered modest power spring air rifle that is built to be accurate.

In regards of the 'special hold' needed for springers, from over 35 years experience, I would say the main issue is being consistent in your hold.

Yes, spring air rifles do have a different recoil pattern to firearms, but for the most part not so outlandish that the fundamentals of marksmanship won't deal with it.

Yes, some spring powered air rifles are unpleasant to use, these tend to be mostly the cheap garbage that try and deliver mega velocity and to hell with any idea of accuracy - those are best avoided.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:18 AM
fpgt72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Key is to do everything the same every time, hold the gun the same way, in the same places. You have likely read about harmonics in guns.....well in spring guns this is X10 to the 10th power.

And yes it will make you a better shooter.

As to pellets I like straight shooters pellet sample pack, they have like a fishing lure tray that is full of all makes and weights of pellets, you are bound to find something. If the gun is new, don't bother with that, go to walmart buy a tin of crosman and shoot the tin....it takes the springs a bit to set. If you have a chrono it will help with this task, but usually it is 250 +- to get it ready to go. Don't worry about where the pellets are going in this phase, you are working the spring.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ is a great forum dealing with all phases of airgun shooting and airguns. GTA is to airguns what RFC is to rimfire PB's.

FWIW, I have two HW30S' and one Beeman R7, all in .177 caliber and all three prefer the AA 7.33 gr. pellets over the JSB. I have several other .177 German rifles but these three are my favorites and suit my 25-yard backyard range just fine. Oh, did I mention that I'm 78?

Last edited by Oldgringo; 08-28-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:20 PM
mje
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Iíve had one for over 35 years,mand itís my favorite plinker. Iíve rebuilt it twice, which gives you an idea how much use itís gotten. As everyone says, hold it gently, and donít rest the forearm on a hard surface. Itís best to support it in your hand, resting your arm or elbow on a solid support if necessary.

The gun develops around 8 foot pounds of energy and works best with 7-8gr pellets. I recommend flat nosed target pellets like RWS Basic for short distances (10-15 yards.) and round nosed pellets for up to 35 yards.