Noremf's last pm to me - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:26 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)

This whole site befitted from George's knowledge, myself on several occasions, not to mention when we first corresponded after I mentioned my I'd been approved for one of the "rusty" 82G's. The whole story is sort of long but suffice it to say George was going to Anniston to pick one or two out and ended up building one for men out of a couple and had he held until my number came up. That's the kind of guy he was, didn't know me from Adam at the time.

Love all these memories folks. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:36 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It saddens me that George felt compelled to hide his exemplary military record from his wife and children. He was a generous person with his time and voluminous knowledge of firearms and woodworking and I really miss his posts and discussions. I suspect he is at the moment berating St. Peter for his use of Chinese steel wool ! RIP George...we miss you!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:13 PM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post

It saddens me that George felt compelled to hide his exemplary military record from his wife and children.
It doesn't surprise me a bit.

Families are often better off just knowing somebody "was there", and leaving it at that.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:13 PM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Lots of guys did what they did, not because they had to, but because it was the job that needed doing, and they were there.

Not being something the vast majority wanted to talk about, let alone brag about, most of those stories aren't heard. For whatever reason. Certainly not stories you tell to those you care for, looking at you with eyes that you believe don't, wouldn't, couldn't understand.

Or maybe it's "they may learn about just how ugly the world can be from someone, but not from me."

And no, I don't have those stories. But I know / have known those who do. And I respect them and their choices.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:43 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Gerald I am so happy that you are posting again, a sign of things better than they were. As we get through these bumps it makes us think about many things and "George" was a good one.
I've been fortunate to have known some very courageous and highly decorated men. One in a very private training moment talked of his last days of his 3rd tour, SF soldier. They ran for 3 days dropping gear to move faster as they were leaving a place they were "not" at. Many people did many things that would be looked on in a bad note but these things quite a few of us feel needed done.
I'm proud of what George did in his life and many others did in similar situations. It's sad that we see people disrespecting their memories and I'm happy you felt it a good thing to show him honor.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:14 PM
.22fanatic
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Can you share?

Gerald,

Thank you very much for sharing George's message. Could you please share with us who do not know his military history details of what he did and what his awards were? I'm former SF as well and always want to hear the stories of those who went before me, its the best way to honor them. Thanks, Mike.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:46 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
George's Wife and I suppose Children and Grand Children and the point of his PM was that he wished for it to remain that way.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 PM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
glad to see you posting again Gerald. you brighten up rimfire central. plus you have a lot of cool guns. take care friend. dave
Old 07-28-2020, 10:12 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Respect

I have to wonder if I could have done even the teeniest part of the work he did in the service. It was men like him that kept the rest of us safe at home, and we seldom ever hear about what they went through. If Noremf wishes for us to keep his secrets and not tell his family, I think that's the least we can do for the man.

And that handle.....Noremf.....makes a lot more sense to me now.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't remember how it came up or if it was even on the woodworking forum, but somewhere I mentioned that the paint was peeling off the roof of my truck.

George PM'd me out of the blue and suggested possible causes, prevention of such, and repair options. I was thankful for that.

And due to his sound advice, I'll never use silicone-based car finish products on my CZ stocks ever again.

I've also nearly used up a can of Renaissance Wax over the past ~15 years since reading his recommendation for the stuff. Like he said, "a little goes a long way."

Thank you for your service to our country, George.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:15 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I would love to have visited him as he too lived in Alabama, but l never could find a time where I could make the trip.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:38 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was always in awe of the depth of knowledge that George had, especially when it came to wood finishes! He was always a passionate teacher and very willing to educate people and take a lot of time to share his knowledge. I never knew what his Noremf name stood for until I googled remf, now it is clear to me. His input here on RFC is truly missed!

Last edited by Sub sailor; 07-29-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:54 AM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks , Gerald . He was First Class .
Old 07-29-2020, 12:31 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub sailor View Post
I was always in awe of the depth of knowledge that George had, especially when it came to wood finishes! He was always a passionate teacher and very willing to educate people and take a lot of time to share his knowledge. I never knew what his Noremf name stood for until I googled remf, now it is clear to me. His input here on RFC is truly missed!

I asked him straight up and he pmd me the answer.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 07-29-2020, 09:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For alight note on the subject of George, I do have my last message from George and I will paraphrase it here.

He got some BS from someone on RFC and responded to them with a "bless your heart" I chuckled at that and openly said that guy would never know what that meant. George relayed that when they were first in Montgomery a woman that worked for him was always telling him "bless you heart". Said it took him 6 months or so to realize what she was really saying.

yeah, I do miss him.