Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Geoffrey
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Kimber 82G need some help

Here's the story. A friend bought the gun from the CMP South store cheap because it got wet in storage and rusted badly. However, the sights and bolt are in perfect condition. I got it from him in a trade and I would like to get it in shooting condition. I have the gun out of the stock and basically completely apart and the trigger is working well.

There are a couple of problems that have me stumped. Number one is the cardboard tube is stuck in the barrel. The previous owner soaked it in oil and tried pushing it out with a cleaning rod and I have tried blowing it out with compressed air using one of the rubber tipped blower nozzels. Any ideas on how to remove the cardboard without damaging the bore? The bore might be pitted anyway but, I need to find out.

Number two is the bolt locking plunger is pushed in and will not return due to rust. How would I remove the plunger to clean out the hole and get it working freely?

Also, are there any parts available for this gun? I might need the bolt locking plunger and possibly a barrel. I don't want to put more $ into this gun than it's worth so, a take off barrel would be good.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Geoffrey
Old 10-18-2006, 08:31 AM
REDTIP17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are no parts available for the 82G. It was built by Kimber of Oregon back in the late 80s early 90s. Don't know why CMP ever sold it to him. Doesn't sound like something they would do. I bought 2 of them in their original sealed plastic from CMP and neither had a cardboard in the bore. Something is real fishy here. Call CMP and see what they say, They may have put it in the bore and know how to remove it. RedTip17
Old 10-18-2006, 09:11 AM
kestrel2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
if the bore is already saturated with oil try tapping it out using a piece of wooden dowel stock-this wont hurt the bore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 08:59 PM
retired jeff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also bought two from CMP about 18 months ago. Only one hase been opened, cleaned and put into service.

There was nothing in the bore except dried grease.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Geoffrey

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
From a post by david308 on 8/20/2006 "bought my 82's (2) several years ago...both were in perfect condition, both had the sights still sealed in their bags, cardboard tube in the barrel and, this is the best part, they had consecutive serial numbers."

So, it seems my 82g isn't the only one that came with a cardboard tube in the bore. The question is, how to remove one that is stuck. Also, how to remove the bolt locking plunger.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 PM
limpid lizard

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cardboard Tube

Both my 82G's came with the tube. I have also seen the same tube in an M1 that came from the CMP. LL
Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 PM
twinarrow99

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine also came with the rust prevention tube in the barrel and was sealed up in the bag. Tube came right out. No rust anywhere, was in perfect shape except the razor cuts.

I agree with comments regarding tapping it out with a dowel rod. You might want to saturate the tube/bore with solvent and let it sit. Maybe that will soften the stuck portion before tapping with the dowel rod.

Let us know if you are successful in getting this out.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Deke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=twinarrow99]Mine also came with the rust prevention tube in the barrel and was sealed up in the bag. Tube came right out. No rust anywhere, was in perfect shape except the razor cuts.

Ditto. Beautiful gun right out of the box....except for the deep moronic razor cut. Lots of work with progressively finer sandpaper, 0000 steel wool, rubbing oil and elbow grease turned the stock into a very attractive piece of wood. Kimber started with a nice piece of....walnut?

If you plug the bore, stand the Kimber on end (bore down) on an old towel, and saturate the cardboard tube with penetrating oil (or whatever lubricant)...won't the cardboard semi-dissolve or at least loosen the bond with the barrel and make removal with a dowel easier? Just an idea. Have you tried penetrating oil on the bolt? Total immersion and let it sit?

Deke
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Geoffrey

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
I was able to remove the paper tube from the barrel tonight. Trying to push it through was the wrong approach- that just packed it tighter. I took a .22 jag to the grinder and cut it to resemble a wood screw and with the cleaning rod, I screwed it into the paper tube and pulled it out. It took a few attempts since the paper tore a couple of times. The first piece to come out was about 10 inches long.

Thats the good news. The bad news is that the bore is rusted. I am pretty sure the barrel is no good. At this point, I have to decide if re-barreling is worth the cost or if I should just part out the rifle. If the rest of the gun was in good shape it would be a "no brainer" but, with the reciever pitted, I don't know. Also, I haven't solved the problem with the bolt locking plunger being stuck. I don't have much in the rifle so either way is financially OK.

How much would a re-barrel cost?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:59 PM
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are these guns still available? A friend at my club has a Kimber he purchased form CMP, and it shoots very well. He also has the boxcutter scar on the stock. I'm interested enough to get one if any are still around. Don't know the price. That would be useful to know also.
Bob
Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM
janderson0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
try:
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm

Jim
Old 11-11-2006, 08:16 PM
skruft
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you got a good deal on it, I would clean it thoroughly (especially the barrel) and try to shoot it before rebarreling or getting rid of it. It may be no good and it may be just fine.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I bought my 82G from the North Store (over the counter) last June, it also had a paper insert in the barrel. Came right out. They had quite a few there when I got mine. I chose the one with the smallest razor cut (on the buttstock ~4" long).