Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:06 AM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MINUTE OF ANGLE

I know what "moa" means when it comes to measuring groups etc.
But, in the CZ forum I saw a scope mount referred to as 25moa, so, what exactly does that mean??
This old man is learning a lot about precision shooting etc. by reading here but I'm stumped about the above question.
How is it different from a regular scope mount??
Old 06-11-2021, 10:19 AM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
I know what "moa" means when it comes to measuring groups etc.
But, in the CZ forum I saw a scope mount referred to as 25moa, so, what exactly does that mean??
This old man is learning a lot about precision shooting etc. by reading here but I'm stumped about the above question.
Adds 25 minutes of angle elevation to your scope height. Compensates for the lack of available adjustment range in your turret should you want sight on your target with a zero holdover at extreme range.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:16 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For long range shooting, you need additional elevation adjustment available. The 10,20,25, 30 MOA mounts are tapered and give you back the adjustment you lose in the lower elevations you don't use and add adjustment at the top end , if that makes sense....
Another way to add to this for extreme long range rimfire shooting is to get a scope with more elevation adjustment and/or a reticle that has information for elevation adjustment like the SWFA SS models, which have almost 120 MOA of adjustment or Mils if you prefer that style. I really like the SWFA SS Mil/Mil scopes and reticles for shooting .22's ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 01:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Like iron sights FORS, so if you are hitting short at 200 yards the front sight needs to go lower, cause that makes you point the barrel higher. By pitching the scopes. Line of sight downward ,thats what will happen . Plus you get to use more of f your elevation adjustment.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:46 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a way to remember/describe that helps me visualize what's going on. I am no expert on this.

To keep it simple for the purpose of this explanation, we'll say you're shooting at 100yds. So 1MOA=1 inch. Also, many scopes can accomodate bullet drop at that distance but bear with me.

Imagine your shots are impacting below your field of view. You adjust the elevation and can't get the point of impact centered in the reticle. If it's graduated, you might even be able to tell how many more inches - or MOA - you need to bring it up. You're effectively moving the entire field of view - including the reticle - down.

That's what these sloped rails do. If you're still impacting 10 inches too low after running out of adjustment, you could technically use a 10 MOA rail - but then you'd be at the extreme of your adjustment and you'd run into the same problem if you wanted to shoot further. Also many scopes don't have full adjustment range on one turret when the other is not centered.

So if you center your reticle and choose a rail that puts the POA as close to the POI for the typical distance you'll shoot, the up/dn elevation adjustments should accomodate closer or further targets (within limits.)

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:11 PM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ivey and Cold Shot have adjustable bases that allows you to crank on gobs of scope pitch with the twist of a knob. Better than reaching up dialing your turrets. I prefer the Ivey...everything's right there. And it screams uber shooter.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:27 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
I know what "moa" means when it comes to measuring groups etc. But, in the CZ forum I saw a scope mount referred to as 25moa, so, what exactly does that mean??
The key is to remind yourself MOA refers to an angular measure. It's sorta-kinda like measuring an angle in degrees but in this case we are measuring it in minutes.

Once you have the idea it is an angular measure you can understand how it is narrow at the origin and wider way out there at range but you probably know that from measuring groups -- 1 MOA is roughly 1/2" wide at 50 yards but roughly 1" wide at 100 yards.

Quote:
So in the case of a rail or other mount for a scope we are talking about a mount that is thicker or higher at one end than it is at the other end so that it creates an angle between the line of the scope and the line of the bore -- and that angle will be x MOA wide, in this case the angle created is 25 MOA.

Why do people want a rail like this? Generally for long range shooting. It creates elevation adjustment outside the scope (via the mount) so you still have some elevation adjustment left inside the scope for fine tuning your adjustments to get on target.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:29 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, y'all made it plain what I was seeking.
I never had any idea that there was stuff like that available.

Of course, I'm a peep sight sort of guy so I guess that's why I never heard of all that fancy stuff.
I've never been to a "shootin match" before, so I guess I'll find one and go watch.
Not to compete. I gave a nephew my last accurate rifle. (A Lakefield deluxe with my own shade tree trigger job)
Anyhow, thanks for the info, I feel smarter now.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:06 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I've never been to a "shootin match" before, so I guess I'll find one and go watch.
Not to compete.
You'll regret it.

My daughter and I have been shooting in a 100-yd iron-sight match, started with a bone stock 10-22 and added a trigger and Tech Sights. It's with Randy now.

I had gone to a silhouette match without a rifle "just to watch" a few years earlier and was kicking myself for not coming ready to shoot, they were very welcoming.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:44 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
You'll regret it.

My daughter and I have been shooting in a 100-yd iron-sight match, started with a bone stock 10-22 and added a trigger and Tech Sights. It's with Randy now.

I had gone to a silhouette match without a rifle "just to watch" a few years earlier and was kicking myself for not coming ready to shoot, they were very welcoming.
Well, I can understand how that could happen, but, I have a severe tremor that would endanger everyone on the firing line.
With my pistol, 20 feet is about as far as I shoot at a man size target at the range.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:11 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:14 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Darkest_One View Post
Ivey and Cold Shot have adjustable bases that allows you to crank on gobs of scope pitch with the twist of a knob. Better than reaching up dialing your turrets. I prefer the Ivey...everything's right there. And it screams uber shooter.

Very nice set of rings. Iíll have to check those out.