TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdgreat1 View Post
Lyman super targetspot.
I'll take it. Where do I send my check?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:37 PM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
EGW

Not to get into the old/new debate, which is purely a matter of taste anyway, there's absolutely no reason to have any vintage target 22 receiver drilled and tapped. I had a gunsmith friend, for under $50, drill and countersink a 12" piece of Brownell's tip-off rib to fit the standard mounting holes in the barrel on my 52B. That put the scope a bit too far forward for proper eye relief with anything but a very long internal adjustment rifle scope, but would be perfect for an intermediate eye relief (scout) scope. I also have a cantilever Picatinny mount from EGW that will fit nearly any classic bull-barrel 22 on the planet. That puts the mounting area back over the action. Current price is $39.95
https://www.egwguns.com/winchester-5...nny-rail-0-moa
Old 06-11-2021, 01:53 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a 52E which is, as everybody know, a later model that is drilled and tapped from the factory. It wears a nice and discreet modern scope and it looks just fine to me. I like the looks of Unertl type scopes also but, to me, nothing wrong with a modern scope, as long as you do not drill and tap what has not been done originally.
That is my opinion anyways.
Gilbert
Old 06-11-2021, 02:04 PM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I can't agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis2 View Post
I have a 52E which is, as everybody know, a later model that is drilled and tapped from the factory. It wears a nice and discreet modern scope and it looks just fine to me. I like the looks of Unertl type scopes also but, to me, nothing wrong with a modern scope, as long as you do not drill and tap what has not been done originally.
That is my opinion anyways.
Gilbert
with you at more than 100%, but if I could I would!
Old 06-11-2021, 05:53 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 52E was not drilled and tapped, so I decided on the Unertl...and that worked out very well. I was using the gun in club matches, and frankly, had it been drilled and tapped, I very well may have installed a modern competition style scope on it. In that case I was thinking function over form...but that was before I actually used the Unertl.

In the situation being discussed here, it is a matter of preference I guess. The way I look at it, the owner of the gun has first say in what scope is mounted on it. Hopefully, it will be one that looks right and works well.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:43 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Do it right

I have found it infinitely satisfying to set up several vintage rifles with period correct peep sights and/or scopes. Some have taken years, even over a decade, to find 'the right stuff'. Being complete, and campaigned has they would have been back in the day, and doing well against more modern rigs has made it worth the time, effort and expense.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:34 PM
ClarenceAnderson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I have found it infinitely satisfying to set up several vintage rifles with period correct peep sights and/or scopes.
I'm doing that right now--I bought a Slowlock without sights. Wasn't too hard to find the 82A rear sight (but cost me $200), but finding the "shark fin" front sight is always difficult. Went through the same thing with another sightless 52 last year. That's about all the satisfaction I can stand.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:39 PM
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve got a Litschert Eagle on my 52B, and a Redfield 3200 on my H&R M12. I like both scopes, but I actually like shooting with iron sights better. I have a Redfield International on the back of the M12, and a Lyman 524 on the 52B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2021, 09:57 AM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Even rough I am on the younger side compared to many that like old classics ( born in the 1960’s)
I do prefer the style / looks of the old classics much better than modern rigs.
I used to have a minty 52B bull gun in a very old hard case with fitted compartments for the vaver sights Lyman target spot etc. under a part of the case lining was a copy of the nra small bore competition rule book from the 1940’s

I didn’t use the rifle much at the time and sold the entire kit for a pretty penny
( various compartments for the hand stop palm rest magazines also)

But as I age and have gotten more into sedate types of shooting and use a bench more often, can see the utility

I wouldn’t beat up an old classic shooting nrl22 matches ( I have plastic stocked guns for that)

For me the old Lyman/ unertl style does look more right on a vintage rifle,and honestly don’t think there is enough performance difference except at the highest levels of competition for it to matter compared to modern scopes