How do you upload photos to a post? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:49 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

With all respect, an over-size file will report as such as soon as you try to upload it. I'm pretty certain the reason it worked for Vaguru is they opened a new page, which generates a new token (encryption key) and they uploaded before it expired.

The token issue is a standard error when a page has expired so the SSL connection can no longer be securely negotiated. I have seen it pop up when you access search results pages as well, they also expire if you try to link to them.

This is well documented on the vbulletin support/community pages. It's like when you access your financial accounts online and they text you a code - it's only valid for a set period of time. It's an archaic way to handle it compared to more modern forum software, but I personally prefer this old & simple version of vbb. It's what I started with in the late 90's..

That said, I'm happy to just stay out of this forum section.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 09.48.39.png (37.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-31-2021, 12:24 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Eflyguy, all we're trying to do is help a member learn how to load images to the RFC server. The absolute last thing I want to do is discourage member volunteerism. We need more volunteers not less.

Here's an experiment for you.

Download this 20 megapixel image to your desktop and then try to load it to the RFC server.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...-hires_jpg.jpg

I did, and attached is a snipped image of the error message I got.

I believe I am correct in the advice I'm giving here but if I'm not I want to know so I don't pass bum scoop. If the latter is the case I will certainly apologize and never give that particular advice again.

Respectfully,

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (57.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 04:25 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting, and I stand corrected, sorry.

For massively oversized JPG it does indeed give that error. Mea culpa.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:15 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I appreciate that Eflyguy. You're a great help around here and definitely know more about the forum software than I do. Let's keep working together

I've tried up to 4 mb images and the system resizes and digests those fine. I'm guessing the choke point is 6-8 mb but am having trouble finding an image that size to test.

If you get there before me let us know your results. It would be good to know exactly how big is too big.

Thanks again,

Frank
Old 06-01-2021, 06:38 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I remembered Vaguru's problem went away when he posted only 2 instead of 4 images. So I started experimenting with multiple image uploads. the software choked at a little over 18 mb in a single upload for me.

I'm beginning to wonder if max upload size is throttled by level of membership.

Eflyguy, would you try the same experiment please. Stack multiple known size images into a single upload and see at what combined size you get the error message?

Thanks!

Frank

Last edited by LtCrunch; 06-01-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:38 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried 5 jpg's in the 2-3MB range for a total over ~13MB, and they uploaded fine, no error.

I'd guess it's just a bug that was likely fixed many moons ago.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:44 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried uploading five ~4-5MB files for a little over 20MB, and it gave the security token error.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:03 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks Eflyguy. I sent the OP a PM asking him to email the image file(s) he had trouble uploading.

Very curious

Frank