Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Vudoo test over 20 shots

I was studying up on Lapua and Eley test factories.
At Eley, the record best, single shot custom everything, is 9.3 Millimeters, edge to edge over 10 shots. This was back in 2017.

The data can be found here on a youtube video by clicking below the video where it says " show more".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOW...index=158&t=0s

And look, this is just a home test, with the equipment that I have.
I do not have a nice rest, so I am limited to sand bags. This is totally different and much harder than shooting off a good quality rest. Also I'm shooting SK Standard plus. Pretty good load, but not quite what Center X or Tennex would be, or should be.

I'm outdoors at 50 yards,,,and there is some light wind here and there. Actually the best day I've had since I got the gun last Tuesday. So no complaints there.

I have two that went a little out. These came when I wasnt watching my wind flag.
My wind flag is a dollar store plastic bag that I ripped a piece off, and stuck it to a stick I found in the yard. lol. We can see from this that I'm really not a professional.

Anyway ignore the top target. I didn't shoot that one. It's only 5 shots and I was letting my friend try out the new gun. Still not bad, but something happened on shot number 5.

1 Hour later from a cold bore, I started on the bottom target.
The target bull is 1/2 inch.
Point of aim is the left corner.

If we remove the 2 that went slightly out, which were shots number 14 and 18....which was me off bags, or the ammo, or some slight wind. Anyhow , now I'm making excuses. BUT if we remove those two......the group measures 5/16's on 18 shots. This equates to a 0.3125...edge to edge.......and 7.9375 Millimeters.

I can be pretty happy with that. You know, shooting off bags and all. All in all, I'm pleased with this gun.
The folks over at Vudoo gunworks were a pleasure to work with. Built the gun to my exacting specifications. Sports a 20 inch Bartlein cut rifled barrel.....well, it might be a little shorter than 20 inchs, because the barrel was cut and crowned at tightest point in the bore, somewhere close to 20 inches. The Trigger Tech diamond is indeed capable of under 4 ounces. Mine is at 2 point something right now. For those of you who never tried one, they are nice.

The scope is a First focal plane 4-28x50 IOR Recon, with a 40mm tube, ED glass. It's amazing......and costs more than the gun. It's really overkill for a 22......but after I got behind one, I had to have it. Best I've ever looked through, including Nightforce and Schmidt Bender.

So anyways here's the target. I could be happy with this. And who knows, maybe Center X or Tennex , might even do a little better.

T.S.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is good shooting. Those 2 out is probably ammo. I seen the pictures of your rifle on other thread. Its a piece of work. Id love to have one.
Todd
Old 03-18-2019, 01:31 PM
billmeek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My understand of rifles shot at the Lapua/Eley test sites are that they are fired from a vise and don't show the true potential accuracy of the rifle. What they do show is the potential of the ammo being used for that rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 01:59 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice, but do remember that Eley test at 50m not 50yards. That's a difference of nearly 10%. The 10 shot record is actually 8.8mm shot in 2013, at the factory range in England. So the groups are more similar. It would be interesting to see the record group. The decimal score was listed as 108.1, so it was pretty tight.

@Billmeek, yes Eley and Lapua test from a vice. The Eley record was shot with a Bleiker, so the receiver would have been clamped leaving the barrel floating.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:10 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slater View Post
Nice, but do remember that Eley test at 50m not 50yards. That's a difference of nearly 10%. The 10 shot record is actually 8.8mm shot in 2013, at the factory range in England. So the groups are more similar. It would be interesting to see the record group. The decimal score was listed as 108.1, so it was pretty tight.

@Billmeek, yes Eley and Lapua test from a vice. The Eley record was shot with a Bleiker, so the receiver would have been clamped leaving the barrel floating.
Thanks Tim. Didn't know that about the record group in 2013.
I would have moved out another 5 yards if I had been thinking about it.
Gun shoots pretty good with SK. It's chambered for centerX though.
Should see an improvement.....but I don't know. We'll find out soon.

T.S.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:02 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When I measure groups, I always remove the shots that I don't like that are outside the group.

≡✪≡
Old 03-18-2019, 04:25 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
When I measure groups, I always remove the shots that I don't like that are outside the group.
That's not what I did. I said " IF not for the 2 that were out"
I'm not shooting premium ammo. Nor am I shooting off a rest.
If I had stopped at 10 shots, " Like Lapua and Eley do it" it would have been a 7.9375 mm group, maybe even smaller.

But I mean if you feel like you just need to try to create problems....or start a pile of BS then go right ahead. For the record, it's a 14.5mm without cutting the two that were out.

T.S.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I know just how you feel

Not 20 shots only 10-shots at 100 yards.

if wasn't for that 8th shot!
Oh well still pretty good with SKRM at 100yards.

17.018mm for all 10-shots if just 9-shots 6.832mm
100 yards. Anschutz 1411
for reference an ARA 100 score ring to compare

%%%% fliers!

Lee
Old 03-18-2019, 10:58 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thats still not bad........
Its got to be the ammo.
I think no matter how good the ammo is, you still get a flier here and there.

But I went ahead and ordered a couple EDIT : A few hundred bucks worth today.
By the end of the week I'll have the stuff I want to try in the gun.

2 Bricks of center X ( ordered Friday).........Today: 1 brick of Eley tennex......1 brick of Eley match and 1 brick of RWS Target. Still have a stock pile of SK.

I got some smaller groups this afternoon when the wind died down but it was nearly dark and the light wasnt good. But I managed, 11.5 mm, 12mm and a 12.7.....all of them would have been smaller if not for the unexplained one round that jutted out.

I attributed those to light wind. I could see them do a small corkscrew just before landing on target. None of the groups were bad at all. What you and I call fliers , most normal people who arent obsessed with this stuff, well, they consider it accurate.

As an example, this was done in light varying wind. Not bad but I know this gun can do better. Had a couple a little smaller but can't find them. It's hard to do off sand bags. But I think a nice rest like the one you have would be wasted on me. Plus they are expensive. I just put out a lot for the gun and scope. Plus I like the one Joe Friederich has. I'm sure his is really expensive. I tried to contact poppas but nobody answers the phone over there.

So for now Im stuck with Cabelas sand bags. Not bad but I think the gun can do better. Maybe some of the top tier ammo will be kind to me. Turns out that 10 shots is a whole lot different than 5 shots.

I need my ammo to get here. I'm dying to try this gun out with some of the good stuff.

T.S.

Last edited by TheShootist; 03-18-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ime a fancy 2 place rest just makes it quicker and easier to get a setup compared to sandbags. Ive never used a 1 pc or played with a machine rest.
Thats some good shootin
Old 03-18-2019, 11:47 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That sure is an accurate rifle- any way you can post up some pics of the rifle itself?
Iíve been to their site drooling over the models, Iíd like to see pics of one of their rifles in natural light-

Congrats on a fine acquisition.

DrGunner
Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Vudoo is a truly remarkable rifle. Iíve never seen one that didnít shoot lights out. A guy at my club has one. He was shooting through the center of lifesaver candy at 100 yards..without breaking the candy! I was able to get one out of five cleanly at 50 yards. Iíd love to own one of these. Maybe if my 1911 infection gets cured Iíll end up with one ( translated, when the arthritis becomes too much to enjoy shooting a 45, Iíll likely thin that herd and thicken up the Rimfires)

But I have a milestone or two before a Vudoo comes my way.

Congrats on a fine shooting gun. To think you have barely experimented with ammo and you shot like that almost makes me take pause in awe.

Please post pics of that pup!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
3/18/20 the cup is from the future, doesn't count, do over please, lol
Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
The Vudoo is a truly remarkable rifle. Iíve never seen one that didnít shoot lights out. A guy at my club has one. He was shooting through the center of lifesaver candy at 100 yards..without breaking the candy! I was able to get one out of five cleanly at 50 yards. Iíd love to own one of these. Maybe if my 1911 infection gets cured Iíll end up with one ( translated, when the arthritis becomes too much to enjoy shooting a 45, Iíll likely thin that herd and thicken up the Rimfires)

But I have a milestone or two before a Vudoo comes my way.

Congrats on a fine shooting gun. To think you have barely experimented with ammo and you shot like that almost makes me take pause in awe.

Please post pics of that pup!
I have to try the life savers, now that would be a challenge!

Lee