Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Sk pistol match? Or pistol match special

23K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  Ed_Willers 
#1 ·
I have been reading a bit about folks liking sk pistol match. I was online getting ready to buy some and I got the choice of pistol match , or pistol match special .

I'm shooting rifle off the bench . Which one is the winner here?

#3 ·
I haven't tried SK Pistol Match Special, but I was disappointed with the SK Pistol Match out of my RPRR (whether the factory barrel or the match barrel). CCI SV's tend to do a little better or sometimes much better. The SK Rifle Match did much better out my rifle (got plenty of chrono data on it). So, I guess SK's pistol match product really is best for only pistols.

#4 ·
I like it (pistol match special), with various CZs, Brno, and a BSA International MkII.

It's worth it to get a brick for testing. As always YMMV...

:F

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I got confused because there were a couple online sources that had pistol match listed at about 100fps faster than the pistol match special. I researched it more and found more sources listing it the opposite.

One source had Pistol match at 1260 fps. SK Website lists velocity out of a pistol barrel, and describes the "special" to be a little hotter to work better in semi auto that won't cycle pistol match. Actually I don't think SK explains it, I think it was explained in several customer reviews on their website.

Someone above mentioned success with rifle match. My rifles love that. I've just seen pistol match for nearly $2 a box less and was hoping to find something a little less costly that might have similar performance.

#8 ·
One source had Pistol match at 1260 fps. SK Website lists velocity out of a pistol barrel, and describes the "special" to be a little hotter to work better in semi auto that won't cycle pistol match. Actually I don't think SK explains it, I think it was explained in several customer reviews on their website.

Someone above mentioned success with rifle match. My rifles love that. I've just seen pistol match for nearly $2 a box less and was hoping to find something a little less costly that might have similar performance.
SK Pistol Match has a listed MV of 1083 fps and the SK Rifle Match is listed at 1050 fps. When I fired the Pistol Match out of my factory RPR I got 10 shot averages of around 1045 fps. Out of the same gun with a match barrel the Pistol Match gave me around 1095 fps. The SK Rifle Match gave me around 40 fps more that the listed MV. (all out of an 18" barrel and I use a Magnetospeed chrono for measurements) :gun4:

#9 ·
SK Pistol Match Special is too fast and breaks sound barrier which by the way is 1100fps at most places in the US. I think the special is rated at 1140fps. It shoots pretty good but Pistol Match shoots way better. It is rated at 1045fps. I have yet to find a good precision barrel to not shoot the Pistol Match into tiny holes. The better the barrel, the better it will shoot. All the guys that I have turned on to this ammo that can in fact shoot have thanked me.

#25 · (Edited)
When did you here a bought pistol match? :D

When i was shooting IR 50/50 and RBA my shooting buddy and i did well with pistol special in the first couple match"s of the year when temp was in the 40's. never had a round go super sonic in any temp. when i used to practice for match's i never shot group's.. i was shooting a sighter and they kept going in the same hole. a group of .043 with my sporter with pistol match.

Randy :)

#10 ·
...and because it is rimfire, your results may vary. :eek:
What comes off the line this morning may or may not be
as good as what is produced later the same day.
Variations in tolerances and powder/primer can cause results to be different.

Do notice the ES of the muzzle velocities matches the vertical spread.
Not caused by rifle, setup, wind or lack of skill. :rolleyes:
Run the numbers through y'er ballistic calculator to check.

#21 ·
...and because it is rimfire, your results may vary. :eek:
What comes off the line this morning may or may not be
as good as what is produced later the same day.
Variations in tolerances and powder/primer can cause results to be different.
I'm convinced temperature and humidity are the too biggest factors affecting rimfire accuracy, along with ammo quality.
Back when I would get to range by 8am or earlier and would sight in and shoot . I'd take several rifles .
Around noon I'd reshoot a particular rifle I'd shot earlier and my sightin would be off , sometimes by an inch or more . Size of groups would change too .
Sometimes I could switch ammo and shoot better than with the ammo that shot best earlier .
Many variables in rimfire . Kirby

#11 ·
Shooting a 22 rimfire at 200yds don't really tell you how accurate it is. Too many wind variables over all that yardage to do so and objectively say it is good ammo or not. At 50yds and 100yds which is about as far as I care to shoot a 22 rimfire this ammo shoots with some of the ammo that cost twice as much and then some. Here is just one sample from a Joe Chacon Douglas barrel ABRA benchrest gun.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry if it annoys you.
Y'er getting hung up on the distance, but y'er ignoring the numbers.
Look at the chronograph results. 50 shots recorded, not 3, not 5, not 10.
An ES of 70 fps will not give you the precision you want at 50 yards.
40 fps max ES is about what you need to produce 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards.

I reiterate, it's rimfire and results will vary depending on the production quality.
What you buy today may, or may not, produce target results the same as what you shot last week.

#19 ·
I am telling you what I get from box to box. Others like Phil on here and others are shooting some of the best groups they ever shot from a variety of precision barrels. My buddy I work with has a Lilja barrel CZ 455. Shot a .123ctc 5 shot 50yd group. If it was that inconsistent of ammo, people would know it and not buy it.

#23 ·
Agreed Kirby.

Look all I am saying if this ammo was inconsistent from lot to lot I for sure wouldn't be recommending it. Is it as good as the best black box Eley? Nope. But the better lots of it shoot with some black box Eley. And yes some lots may not shoot as good as others, but most of all of it shoots very well.

#28 · (Edited)
II don't think ammo shooting 20- 30fps difference from shot to shot is gonna mean much at 50yds. I have shot this ammo at 100yds and have got some a dime will cover all 5 shots. 10 shot groups tell the tale on whether ammo cuts the mustard. Randy on here shot a 100 shot group at 50ft and even though it was indoors he shot out his aiming point like I said earlier is way harder to keep group as small. He was testing for fliers and consistency. He had not one flier. He also shot a 5 shot .275ctc with this ammo at 100yds. I am no rookie when it comes to what I know and have tested with this ammo. It is very good consistent ammo.

#32 ·
I plan on trying it soon. I'm not advanced enough to incorporate all the variables it takes to be a top competitor . Maybe I'll get there someday.

I'm shooting out to 100 yds max and this fits the bill nicely from the comments.

I may try 200 yds someday... or not :)

Thanks to everyone for the help

#31 ·
I have not shot regular SK Pistol Match, but FWIW I have found the Special version to be on a par with the pre-Eley Wolf Match Extra, which seems to be the best ammo overall I have found so far; better than any Eley in my guns. Haven't shot RWS 50 yet. Also haven't yet shot the Eley version of Wolf ME.

#34 · (Edited)
As Clem mentioned CCI Standard Velocity is another good cheaper ammo to try. I got tons of it. Some groups in the .1's when conditions are right in my Kidd and GM barrels. But the last stuff I bought and tried didn't shoot good.

Another ammo to try would be Wolf. I haven't tried the new Eley Wolf. But my Douglas barrel shot the old Wolf Target as good as SK Pistol Match I would say. My Kidd barrel I tried it in didn't shoot it well nor did my buddy's CZ. I was actually going to rid this ammo as a bad lot. But boy was I wrong.

I don't have all the answers why certain ammo can shoot lousy in some barrels and excellent in others. It is weird how that can work. But what I can tell you that SK Pistol Match ammo has performed well in most of all the barrels I have tried it in. Most good precision made barrels known for their accuracy will tend to shoot it well.

This is the internet, and you are going to hear folks tell you sometimes different views on stuff. It is bound to happen no matter the topic. Just remember that. Some may in fact be right on what they say negative on their experiences. But remember this as you read. You and I were not there to see how everything was being done. Some folks may shoot off a flimsy cardboard table and then say this ammo is junk. Just remember that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.