Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-08-2021, 04:05 AM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KIDD trigger in Ruger aluminum housing

KIDD says to use the newer plastic housing. I read that some have successfully used the previous generation of Ruger factory aluminum housings without issue. If the KIDD parts fit in the aluminum housing, what is the possible problem?

Is there a potential safety issue, or other issue to look out for?
Old 09-08-2021, 08:20 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
While people seem to like the older 'metal' housings, the truth is they are cast and their dimensions are not so precise.

The trigger guy, aka Brimstone Gunsmithing who sees more 10/22 triggers in a week than all of us (combined) will see in a lifetime tells us the metal groups aren't precise and it's tougher to make them consistent. Kidd knows this and does not recommend his trigger job kit in a metal housing. His exact verbiage:

"Our trigger job kit works best with the polymer housings. We recommend the polymer over the metal housing because at times it doesn't function in the metal ones. Due to the precision of the trigger job kit, the hole size and placement is very critical and the polymer housing is more consistent with these dimensions. Good shooting! KIDD"

Yes, many have gotten a good result from the Kidd Kit in a metal housing. If it were me, I'd send it to Brimstone and tell them to do it up Tier 1. They know their stuff.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Randy @ CPC will only work on polymer trigger groups as well.

His web site hasn't been updated but his new price sheet was shared here, and it is called out under 10/22 trigger job:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1226213
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2021, 10:27 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I have installed KIDD kits in approx. 6 'ol school cast TG's.. all were and still are 100% awesome/no issues.. your mileage may vary... no guarantees...void where prohibited.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:20 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (137)
I installed Kidd kits in two aluminum housings when they first became available and had issues with both. The sear to hammer engagement depth was only .010", not deep enough and the triggers would not stay reset reliably. I was able to easily make the engagement depth deeper, to .014" by covering the cocking shelf with a thin feeler gage to protect it and stoning the back wall of the hammer above the shelf until I got the desired engagement depth. At .014" they are completely reliable and break like glass.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:37 PM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for responses.

I installed two KIDD triggers into the aluminum housings, one worked perfect, the other not so perfect. I tried a third new aluminum trigger housing and it still didn't work so well.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:23 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWinWA View Post
Thank you for responses.

I installed two KIDD triggers into the aluminum housings, one worked perfect, the other not so perfect. I tried a third new aluminum trigger housing and it still didn't work so well.
did you try to install the kit in a poly housing, or perhaps a TI billet alloy housing?...or was there an issue with the trigger kit itself?
Old 09-11-2021, 04:27 AM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
did you try to install the kit in a poly housing, or perhaps a TI billet alloy housing?...or was there an issue with the trigger kit itself?
No, I only tried the Ruger aluminum housings.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:40 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Let me guess. They wouldnt reset?
Old 09-11-2021, 08:31 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have installed the trigger kit 5 or 6 in the Ruger metal housings and all worked. I only have 2 of them left and they both work as they should, but they are not as consistent as the polymer, but only by a few ounces. I have also installed the in 4 of them in TI metal housing and they work great in them.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:39 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It's starting to sound like there is a reason for the manufacturer recommending against installing their product in the aluminum trigger housing, he said sarcastically.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:39 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
It's starting to sound like there is a reason for the manufacturer recommending against installing their product in the aluminum trigger housing, he said sarcastically.
there is a reason, and it's called a profit margin

since the alloy housing aren't as predictable as the poly units, it makes fitting triggers done in jigs, or on CNC machines, harder to fit to the looser specs of the alloy units without the possibility of doing some time consuming hand fitting to get the consistent results consumers are looking for...and as we all know...time is money
Old 09-11-2021, 11:54 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

since the alloy housing aren't as predictable as the poly units, it makes fitting triggers done in jigs, or on CNC machines, harder to fit to the looser specs of the alloy units without the possibility of doing some time consuming hand fitting to get the consistent results consumers are looking for...and as we all know...time is money
The Kidd trigger kit is a user-installed product. Kidd doesn't make any more or less profit if the end user installs their trigger kit in an aluminum or polymer housing. The problem isn't profit margin, it is variation in production tolerances on the Ruger cast aluminum trigger housing. If you want a Kidd trigger in an aluminum housing they do make a drop-in trigger unit in a CNC machined aluminum housing that is excellent.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:30 PM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I purchased the KIDD triggers a few years ago, I was unaware of the plastic trigger housing caveat, and likely would not have bought them had I known. The triggers and a few other parts such as bolt releases, and magazine releases had been sitting here for several years before I got around to installing them.

The triggers came in small plastic boxes with KIDD labels sealing them, and no instructions. It was only after I went looking fort instructions did I learn they were not recommended for factory aluminum trigger housings. Yes, I knew how to install 10/22 triggers, but I still wanted to see what the parts manufacturer had to say.

The only non factory parts in the rifles were the KIDD triggers, KIDD bolt release, and magazine release.

As mentioned, I tried them and had less than satisfactory results. Fortunately, when I do trigger work I have a habit of only loading 2 or 3 cartridges when test firing.

I ordered two Clark triggers, and installed them into the two Ruger aluminum housings that I had issues with when using the KIDD triggers. The Clark triggers have no issue, work as they should, and all is well.

Last edited by CJWinWA; 09-11-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:05 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Quote:

The Kidd trigger kit is a user-installed product. Kidd doesn't make any more or less profit if the end user installs their trigger kit in an aluminum or polymer housing. The problem isn't profit margin, it is variation in production tolerances on the Ruger cast aluminum trigger housing. If you want a Kidd trigger in an aluminum housing they do make a drop-in trigger unit in a CNC machined aluminum housing that is excellent.
Kidd could potentially lose lots of profit if they told people that their kits were a drop in fit in aluminum trigger housings.

The aluminum trigger housings didn't have consistent tolerances (like you said) like the polymer one's do. So if a bunch of people started having problems with them in aluminum housings even though Kidd said they were fine, they would come on sites like this and complain, possibly costing Kidd lots of $ in lost sales.

I've successfully installed their kits in several oem aluminum housings. But as you can see from this thread it's not the same for everyone which is why Kidd says they don't recommend it. They're covering themselves, and I don't blame them.