Help identifying a steel (yes steel) trigger housing - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:12 PM
EmmanuelOfArms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help identifying a steel (yes steel) trigger housing

Hello,

I recently acquired a match style trigger online and let me tell you, this sucker is heavy. 13.1 oz to be exact. I took a magnet to the body, trigger and guard. All are ferromagnetic. It appears to be of cast construction, with evidence of milling on the flat mating surfaces. The hammer has a dimple where the factory hammer has a bump out. It has an adjustable over travel screw, which seems to be uncommon on the commonly posted match triggers.

I really can’t decide whether I’ve stumbled on something awesome or mad. If anyone can assist in identifying this trigger group, it would be much appreciated.

PS. My otherwise factory 10/22, with Troy T22 quad rail chassis (heavy) and this trigger group clocks in at a whopping 7 lbs 8 oz. Yikers. More on that in a different thread.

PPS. The mag release is nonmagnetic alloy with a slight gold tinge. The seller claims it breaks at 2.2 lbs. No scale, but my finger agrees.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:37 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
OEM cast TG that looks to have been bead blasted with new style OEM MIM hammer..apparently been worked (stoned) .. because that hammer and sear in new/original cond. break at approx. 5.5-6 lbs. - Overtravel and a funky trigger return set-up on the trigger shoe. VQ cast mag release.

Last edited by Chaser; 09-07-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:45 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Thats likely a trigger group that came from an AMT 10/22. Chase is correct regarding the hammer & mag release.

AMT has been out of business for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2021, 12:05 AM
EmmanuelOfArms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
Thats likely a trigger group that came from an AMT 10/22. Chase is correct regarding the hammer & mag release.

AMT has been out of business for some time.
Thanks. AMT was the magic word. “Steel” and “stainless” “trigger” bring up all sorts of results.

Searching now, it seems folks have very mixed opinions on these things. I find myself feeling a little mixed as well. At 7.5lbs, this “heavy concept” 10/22 can be blitzed like a machine gun and stay on target. The sights just don’t move. I like it. I hate it.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:42 PM
EmmanuelOfArms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
OEM cast TG that looks to have been bead blasted with new style OEM MIM hammer..apparently been worked (stoned) .. because that hammer and sear in new/original cond. break at approx. 5.5-6 lbs. - Overtravel and a funky trigger return set-up on the trigger shoe. VQ cast mag release.
Thanks, do you know of any good introductory material on the stoning process? I have a small handful of factory triggers that need work, and every wet stone from a very course 60 to a very fine 10k grit.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:58 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (137)
Stoning a trigger without a jig is a potential recipe for disaster. I bought a lightly used Power Custom jig a few years back. That's the way it's done if you want it right, otherwise you take your chances. I did actually do a hammer using a machinist's vise per a Sticky on how to change the hammer cocking shelf angle, it worked pretty good.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:35 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelOfArms View Post
Thanks, do you know of any good introductory material on the stoning process? I have a small handful of factory triggers that need work, and every wet stone from a very course 60 to a very fine 10k grit.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...letus+hungwell
Old 09-09-2021, 09:56 PM
EmmanuelOfArms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Welp I took the AMT trigger assembly down. The trigger return spring was weak (no reset) so I stretched it out since i didn’t have a replacement. There are two different aluminum washers, one that goes between one side of the trigger and sear, and another that goes between the trigger and the frame. Makes reassembly about 100x more difficult. Something I will get to joyfully relive when I replace the return spring for real.

Oh, and the hammer was definitely stoned. Not too much, just not hooked like the factory. The tutorial was very helpful in understanding and inspecting all of the pieces.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:05 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You said they are two different aluminum washers, AMT never used any washers in the trigger housing group. This trigger group sounds like it was worked over nice, they may have used some parts from AMT as well as parts from others.
I'm not sure if washers/shims were used back when AMT was in business but custom parts were always being made and tried so never know. Every AMT trigger group I have never had a shim/washer.
If you make yourself a slave pin that is the exact inside width you then put your pieces together using the slave pin to side them in place, then once lined up drive your final pin in while knocking the slave pin out. I'm sure there are slave pin around or get some extra/old pins and cut them down to fit.
They always come in handy especially if you are using shims. I thought shims were of brass because that slide best, never heard of aluminum ones.