Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

End of the line for the Leupold VX3 6.5-20X40mm EFR

24K views 54 replies 28 participants last post by  motovita 
#1 · (Edited)
It's starting to look like it's the end of the line for the 6.5-20x EFR.

The Leupold fixed power scopes will focus down to 50yds, and the New VX3i 50mm side focus may also get down to only 50yds (no info on that is currently available).

For Silhouette shooters a 50yd minium is probably ok. But for 50ft 4-P, Appelseeds and 10 meter Air Rifle it's not going to cut it. That leaves the 3-9x EFR as the only Leupold choice.

The 6.5 was one of the great all time scopes, and if it's not replaced I believe it will be missed by a large number of shooters.

On a good note, their resale value may rocket up, and I have a pair of them.:)

Smooth

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm partial to the Sightron SII Big Sky 6x24 myself. Shame on the Leupolds, but I've had the EFRs in the older 6x18 mag and just like the Sightron a bunch more. More magnification up top, focus down to short ranges, very precise, and great customer service. Only differences is the gold ring, and the fact some of the Sightrons can have "mushy" feeling turrets until you spin them a few times.

Love the Leupolds, but in all honesty, in that class of scope, I like the Sightron more. Heresy I know, but its my honest observation.

Kenny

#7 ·
Too bad Sightron discontinued the silhouette version. I liked it as well.

I've always thought Weaver should make a more silhouette apt scope and would dominate the market. acorneau puts the specs perfect.

Is the VX-3i 6.5-20 a bad option for those that are wanting Leupold? I thought it was going to be somewhat of a replacement/improvement for the EFR.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...vx-3i-6-5-20x50mm-30mm-side-focus-cds-target/

#5 ·
Everything on paper looks like it could be a alternative, except the reticule choice's seem to be limited to a mil-dot.

Now can it match the optical quality, tracking accuracy, longevity, lifetime warranty with a company that's been around for while, and on and on.

I have zero opinion on any of that at this point, and time will tell.

If others could chime with there experiences or additional products, that would be appreciated.

Smooth

#6 ·
Maybe enough folks could convince Weaver to update and/or make a version of their V-24 with 1/4 MOA adjustments, a 1/2 MOA target dot, and updated glass.

- The AO already focuses down to ~30 feet.
- The V-16 uses the same body/tube so it should be easy for them to use the same 1/4 MOA adjustments.
- Updating the glass should be no big deal (with a commensurate price increase of course).
- Lifetime warranty to the original owner.

Bet they could do it and keep it at $500 (or less) without batting an eye. There just needs to be enough demand for it.

#10 · (Edited)
Doodaddy

It's more bulky and heavier, but that's not a deal breaker.

The issue is how close can it focus/parallax down to.

10 m : Fantastic but highly unlikely. Only complaint would be weight and size.
25yds: Good enough for 95% of shooters.
50yds :Ok for Silhouette shooters and fine for most target shooters.
75yds: Ok for most hunters.

I'll email Leupold to get a number, and if that doesn't get me the answer I'll call them.
We're also going to have a discussion about needing to provide minuim parallax distances in their specifications. Duh!

Smooth

#12 ·
Doodaddy

It's more bulky and heavier, but that's not a deal breaker.

The issue is how close can it focus/parallax down to.

10 m : Fantastic but highly unlikely. Only complaint whou'd be weight and size.
25yds: Good enough for 95% of shooters.
50yds :Ok for Silhouette shooters and fine for most target shooters.
75yds: Ok for most hunters.

I'll email Leupold to get a number, and if that doesn't get me the answer I'll call them.
We're also going to have a discussion about needing to provide minuim parallax distances in their specifications. Duh!

Smooth
I looked for minimum focus distance, but wasn't able to find it. I noticed they changed objective size and not in a way that I think appeals to the competitive type shooter. We aren't usually shooting in lower light conditions so the objective size is more unnecessary weight.

It's a shame that the Sightron silhouette model didn't sell well enough to stick around. Sightron doesn't really have the name worth that Leupold does and I don't think them pricing alongside them was a wise choice. Performance wise, I think it fit the purpose very well, but didn't appeal to enough shooters to make any sort of move that way. I saw more used Leupolds sell instead of the Sightron coming off of the shelf.

Weaver could make some slight changes to the T series scopes and really appeal to virtually everyone. Not awfully priced. Decent glass. Focus to 50 feet. Adding 1/4MOA click and a different reticle wouldn't be a monumental effort. The fixed power would help out with weight.

As of now, the only true silhouette scope available from the factory is the Leupold FX3 silhouette series. Having one option is rarely good for the consumers.

#15 ·
I can't recall ever having seen one of the FX3 scopes in person. Always kind of shocked me.

I really like my two Sightron Big Sky scopes, silhouette and the 36X, and Sightron discontinued both. I suppose it could be all of my fault. :eek:

I recently come across an old Leupold BR-24X with a Premier reticle. It will go on my 10/22 silhouette project. I wanted the Sightron, but circumstances forced my hand. I immediately sent it to Leupold to have the objective glass changed (some sort of adhesive/moisture was dried on the inside of the glass) and function looked over. I can at least give Leupold that their warranty is rather outstanding.

#23 ·
I can't recall ever having seen one of the FX3 scopes in person. Always kind of shocked me.

I really like my two Sightron Big Sky scopes, silhouette and the 36X, and Sightron discontinued both. I suppose it could be all of my fault. :eek:

I recently come across an old Leupold BR-24X with a Premier reticle. It will go on my 10/22 silhouette project. I wanted the Sightron, but circumstances forced my hand. I immediately sent it to Leupold to have the objective glass changed (some sort of adhesive/moisture was dried on the inside of the glass) and function looked over. I can at least give Leupold that their warranty is rather outstanding.
Thought I heard that Leupold was balking at working on Premier modified scopes. I had a early 90's VX III that I bought direct from Premier for silhouette. The power was boosted to max out at 24 and they put in a half minute dot. I had read that Premier epoxied in an additional lens and after they closed shop some of them were failing, leaving the owners stuck. Mine was stolen with my 54.18 MS, but I never had any trouble with it. Great scope, but I have a Sightron Silo that is a close second. Dave

#17 ·
I've got an EFR and it is a love/hate relationship. I love the clarity, and the fine reticle, as well as the turrets. I don't like the monstrous change in eye relief from high to low powers. I primarily shoot it at 20X, so it is set up for that. Shooting low power requires such a departure from a normal head position, it isn't conducive to precision work.

I have one of the FX3 25X with the 1/2 MOA dot, and like it a lot. When I bought the scope I was concerned about the 50 yard minimum focus distance, but some reading turned up that this was corrected by Leupold at the request of shooters in the sport. On my sample, I have the ability to set focus/parallax at less than 40M (44 yards), so I was very happy. The silly thing about it is when I'm at 40m, I think I'm set on ~50, 60M I'm on 100, 77m the objective is around 200 and for the ram, I'm at 400 or so. I can't remember exactly, I have a cheat sheet on the rifle.

I have a soft spot for Bushnell scopes, the objectives have 40/60/77/100 on them and they are ALL spot on!

#20 ·
I have one of the FX3 25X with the 1/2 MOA dot, and like it a lot. When I bought the scope I was concerned about the 50 yard minimum focus distance, but some reading turned up that this was corrected by Leupold at the request of shooters in the sport. On my sample, I have the ability to set focus/parallax at less than 40M (44 yards), so I was very happy. The silly thing about it is when I'm at 40m, I think I'm set on ~50, 60M I'm on 100, 77m the objective is around 200 and for the ram, I'm at 400 or so. I can't remember exactly, I have a cheat sheet on the rifle.
I bought Leopold's 50 foot adapter for winter indoor off hand paper practice. The FX 3 is soooo bright in VERY low light conditions too.

I still have my Sightron 6-24X42 SIL.

#19 · (Edited)
PGW_Steve

Both of mine are basically spot on and will focus down to 10yds. I'm talking about my 6.5-20x 40mm EFR's, not your FX-25.

How old is your older EFR model?

The reason I ask is that I looked through much older 8.5-25x EFR and it had a very restricted eye box. If your eye wasn't almost dead centered on the eye piece you had no image.
The shooter looked through mine and was blown away by the difference.

Smooth

#21 ·
I got one!!

I was lucky when I bought my 1712 with the 18" threaded barrel. I searched around and found a great deal on a new discontinued VX-3 6.5X20 EFR. After the rebate I will have $528.00 invested. I wasn't sure whether to open the box or wait and try to re sell it. I went ahead and mounted it. Looks great but waiting for the weather to improve to try the set up out.

#25 ·
For a scope so acclaimed, I never liked them. I had a couple that came on rifles I bought, and were sold shortly thereafter.

I like more than 20X (isn't the actual magnification around 19X ?) for most applications, I couldn't stand the almost comical, ridiculously huge big giant oversize turrets on a sporter, and the dot reticles were overly fine for my application...Tom

#27 ·
I like more than 20X (isn't the actual magnification around 19X ?) for most applications, I couldn't stand the almost comical, ridiculously huge big giant oversize turrets on a sporter, and the dot reticles were overly fine for my application...Tom
I'd be interested in hearing about your application. Over 20X with a coarse reticle on a sporter sounds like it would be interesting.

#26 · (Edited)
Thomasconnor

So you got stuck with a scope that apparently met none of your needs.
Not enough magnification, turrets that annoyed you, and a reticule that didn't suit your requirements.

By the way, the turrets are designed for quick/repeatable changes in disciplines like Silhouette.
The cross hair was designed for Silhouette and Target shooting.

Yes that type of cross hair would suck for hunting, and I get that lower profile turrets would be more appropriate for field or hunting applications.

However there's no reason to dump on the scope (and why do it on a thread that's lamenting the possible loss of this offering), but rather you might want to reevaluate your prucahsing protocol. Especially after your first purchase.
It's truly a great scope, I can only hope you sold them for a tidy profit.

Smooth

#28 ·
Sorry I hadn't checked here sooner. I wouldn't suggest its not a great scope for many, just why it didn't suit me for three legitimate reasons, and why I wouldn't miss it.

I prefer 24X, semi-target turrets (on a sporter), and I found the FCD to be too fine when the light wanes. All subjective criteria related to my target shooting. I only hunt woodchucks as necessary with hunting scopes.

However there's no reason to dump on the scope (and why do it on a thread that's lamenting the possible loss of this offering)

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers but I think there are better choices for me and perhaps others contemplating a purchase, for reasons clearly stated. Believe it or not, I am not the first to be less than enthralled with the subject scope.

For example, respectfully offered and through trial, I prefer 6-24 B&L 4000/4200 Elites, Big Sky 24X, V24 Varminter, and the new 6-24 Elite 4500.

I don't make money when I sell here, and both Leupolds sold in the first hour...Tom

#29 ·
It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread. I am still looking for a scope that compares to my Leupold 6.5-20 EFR and want to put one another 22 mag I am building. Can't find one anywhere to purchase since they have been discontinued by Leupold, not even used.

I want to stay with 6.5 x? Anyone have a suggestion without spending $1,000?

#33 ·
The Sightron big sky 6x24 will outperform any scope mentioned here,you would have to spend $1500 to 2500 to get a scope its equal,I learned the hard way,urinating away money on the big dollar scopes that mostly get sold due to their famous names.You all know who they are.My S1 Sightron hunter series blows a Leupy 6x18x42 out of the water three fold go figure.My Zeiss conquest can't even compete with Sightrons cheapest S1 hunter,sold the Zeiss in Mt Airy North Carolina over the weekend at the Mt Airy fiddlers convention.

#35 · (Edited)
This is the new EFR Target model. Note that it's a VX3i.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3i-riflescopes/vx-3i-6-5-20x40mm-efr-cds-target/

Available here, and suprise it's both improved and less money than the previous version.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/leu-17...plusbox-beta&gclid=CIjMkbKY080CFYVrfgodIMECeQ

You can have Leupold install the target dot of your chioce for $70.00.
I was told that the new lower pricing reflects the limited model choice. So I can live with that decision.

Takes about 2-3 weeks for them to turn around the scope.
You pay shipping to them and they pay for the shipping back to you.
This info and pricing is 6 months old.

Smooth

#37 ·
I have the Leupold VX-III EFR 6.5-20x 40mm Adjustable Objective for parallax and im getting ready to send it in for repair next week....

When turning the objective lens to adjust the parallax the numbers dont turn with the lens....
It should be under warranty.... It will still adjust by sight though it just would be faster if the yardage number would line up with the parallax mark...

#40 ·
I have the Leupold VX-III EFR 6.5-20x 40mm Adjustable Objective for parallax and im getting ready to send it in for repair next week....

When turning the objective lens to adjust the parallax the numbers dont turn with the lens....
It should be under warranty.... It will still adjust by sight though it just would be faster if the yardage number would line up with the parallax mark...
Twowheeler---I'm in the same boat regarding the yardage markings not lining up with my VX3 6.5-20 EFR. They are WAY "off". Does anyone know the specific reason this occurs? Just curious, it's more of a nuisance than a problem. For now, like TW does, I just visually adjust the parallax as required. All of us "fine tune" the parallax adjustment anyway. However, this process would be somewhat quicker if the yardage markings properly line up. They DID when the scope was new, so just wondering (from a technical/mechanical standpoint) what has occurred to cause this issue? I have never "ham-fisted" the adjustment ring, so what's going on with the scope's internals? Again, just curious... the scope works just fine in terms of "on target" performance once adjusted, so probably won't send it in for repair.

#38 · (Edited)
100% covered under their lifetime, any owner, any issue warranty.

Just hand fill out the warranty request found on their website, and mail it in.
No need to call them.

They will repair it in your case (in some cases, not your's, they will replace it).
They do not send you any notification when it's shipped back. So keep an eye out for it. Usually takes 3 weeks.

Our range just sent in a 30X fixed power scope that has been mounted to a pole under cover, by still outside, for the last 42yrs due to fogged lenses
2 weeks later a brand new 15-30x scope arrived with a note stating the old one could not be brought back to its original condition.:)
Just 1 more story about how great Leupolds warranty service is.

Smooth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.