Challenger II magazines - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:48 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Challenger II magazines

Where have the best sources for these magazines been lately. I have some that are frankly getting worn out. I would like to get a couple new, or lightly used ones.

VH
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 PM
DON6244
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
E-bay for the factory ones but they are creeping up in price
Old 07-16-2019, 12:11 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As I recall you can convert early Buck Mark mags by grinding a notch for the heel release.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Dakota Dan
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
Where have the best sources for these magazines been lately. I have some that are frankly getting worn out. I would like to get a couple new, or lightly used ones.

VH
I bought two from Brownells that worked great. One on right is original.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...ake_3=Browning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA6E5A03-6EB7-408F-A467-B37B86EB8178.jpg (523.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:14 PM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I picked up a couple from Dansgunroom.com off eBay. They look identical to the one on the left in your picture that I think you said you got from Brownell's, DD. They don't hold open on last shot fired in my pistol, but that may be my pistol that needs a little tuning. Some of the 5 or 6 I have hold open and some don't. I dropped one on the floor in the range and bent the lips. That really ruined my next round of pins.

I mostly got a couple new ones to use to measure and adjust the ones I have.

There is a lot of difference in the profile used for guidance of the bullet into the chamber between the various magazines. The profile and metal work is significantly different in the newer made ones than the originals. One of my barrels is more forgiving in accepting rounds from various magazines than the other. And I can't see any difference between the two barrel's feed ramp.
Go figure....

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Some of the $$ figures for "original" magazines are almost more than I paid for the pistol with 2 mags. Those guys may find a fool to part with his money, but it won't be me.

VH
Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 PM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
new mags///

The new magazines are proving a little bit problematic. The .22 LR rounds are jumping lead up and jamming going into the chamber. They aren't feeding smoothly into the chamber coming out of the rear lips. I narrowed the gap slightly on the front edge of the rear of the magazine guides on one and it is working better nearly a 100%. The second is good for a few and then jumping. Spring pressure seems part of the factor but the critical factor seems to be the round leaving the rear set of fingers and moving smoothly to the front for insertion without jumping into the chamber. I left my tool behind when I went to the range today and only managed a minor adjustment with leadterman. Almost good. But I think I can smooth that out tomorrow.

I have to say, shooting that C-II when it is humming is more fun!!. It is one of a very few pistols I have without a red dot. I have a spare barrel and I am just waiting for my gun smith to get some time to D&T it. So Most of my shooting with those are out of doors. I have found I can use a pair of 1.5 readers with my bare eyes pretty good indoors, but the target is a bit blurry. That is not a problem out of doors. My S&W 422 is a close second for a fun factor with open sights. But I am definitely more in tune with my Brownings.

VH