Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Win 75 / Redfield sights - base ?

7K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  LarDaBear 
#1 ·
I'm reverting one of my 75's to iron sights. Rifle already had the dovetail adapter on the end of the barrel for a detachable front sight. Picked up a Redfield 75 rear and 63 front sight. Anyone know what height rear mounting plate I need. I found the make 3 heights.

#2 ·
I am only aware of two heights of bases for the Model 75 sight, at least as made by Redfield. From the '52 Redfield catalog:

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1902 kB)

If you use a globe sight that fits directly into the dovetail, the lower mount is probably your best bet.

If you use a clamp-style front globe sight, then you'll need more height at the rear.

Note that Redfield didn't offer a lower option, probably because of the comb height. Same for the Remington 513T and 521T. Williams does make a lower mount block for the 75. From their 2017 catalog:

#8 ·
Guy at the club's base was for something different. Had different mounting hole pattern. Could never get through on the phone to Outback Gun parts, then read some bad reviews of them. Called Steve Earle and he had one in stock, new mfg and sent it to me in the mail. Reminds me I need to get a check in the mail tonight. All parts are sitting on the reloading bench waiting for assembly. Hopefully Monday.

#9 ·
Took the scope off and started assembly of the irons. Went to put the W marked front sight adapter in the dove tail and found the front dovetail cut very crooked. Like visibly, slid the front sight on and it REALLY looked bad. Got out a micro file and cleaned up the cuts, test fit repeatedly, lightly center punched the underside of the base to tighten things up and reinstalled. Got the rear base and peep mounted and got out to the range this morning. Had to shift the front sight slightly left of center because I was running out of right movement of the rear sight. Shot several 25 yd groups and finished with 4 sub 3/4" 5 shot 50yd groups. She's gonna be a shooter !
Pics when I get some time off work.

#10 ·
If anyone finds a good used spare Redfield 75 sight mount for a Winchester 75 Target rifle please let me know,some previous owner of my 1941 75 striped the holes in the mount the sight mounting screw goes into and I'd really like to take this rifle out shooting.
Please do NOT say Steve Earle,dealing with him was a total waste of time and an exercise in frustration.

#11 ·
If anyone finds a good used spare Redfield 75 sight mount for a Winchester 75 Target rifle please let me know,some previous owner of my 1941 75 striped the holes in the mount the sight mounting screw goes into and I'd really like to take this rifle out shooting.
Your answer may be in post #2 in this thread. For a high block, you'll need a friend or a trip to eBay.

#19 ·
For information, in the 1971 Redfield base compatibility chart posted by Edlmann (post #15), the Winchester 75 and the Stevens 416 are shown using the same Redfield 75-HW base for attaching a #75 Redfield sight.

However, in a 1977 Redfield catalog, the Win 75 uses the 75-HW (PN 716002), while the Stevens 416 / Ranger 50 uses the 75-HV (PN 716006). See p.25 in the link below:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/R Disk/Redfield Scope/Item 01.pdf

I have had the opportunity to compare the two bases side by side, and while the outside dimensions are identical, the CtC hole spacing is slightly smaller in the 75-HW, presumably reflecting a slightly narrower receiver hole spacing for the Winchester Model 75.

Hence, it appears that there was a typo in the Redfield 1971 catalog, and where the Stevens 416 / Ranger 50 was listed as needing a 75-HW base, it should instead have shown it needed a 75-HV base.

#21 ·
I just measured the mount on the rifle,1.755" overall length.
.75" height.
.525" CTC of the mounting holes to mount the base to the receiver.
It does not appear to have been cut or ground down to fit on the rifle as the appearance is consistent on it overall.
Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge of sights and sight mounts can let me know more about this and if indeed it was a Winchester factory available option for the 75 Target or maybe how it got on the rifle.

#22 · (Edited)
FYI
I rec'd a Redfield Olympic front sight yesterday that I'd purchased and it included the original price sheet/brochure and it did make mention of a Redfield Olympic sight mount for the Winchester 75 Target.
It was the W-75 and would seem to be what is on my rifle,maybe someone has one laying around somewhere they can check.

#24 ·
I took a spare Redfield International sight I had on hand and it fit perfectly on the sight mount on my rifle and the standard Redfield mounting screw for it threaded in correctly and tightened correctly!:)
It would seem my problem is remedied.
Thank you for all the help everyone.
Wishing you all and Your Families Safe,Healthy and Merry Christmas/Hanaka (as the case may be).

#23 ·
Redfield rear sight bases

The bases for target sights differ mainly in thickness (to compensate for receiver diameter) and the thread size of the sight mounting holes. I classify these into two different sizes:

1. Small format sights: Redfield 75, Lyman 60, Lyman 90MJT, and the Williams Target Foolproof (in two heights). (There may be others.) The sight-to-base mounting screw for these is threaded 8-40.

2. Large format sights: Redfield Olympic, Redfield International, Redfield Palma, and others which have adopted this mounting system. The sight-to-base mounting screw for these is threaded 10-32.

The sight-to-base mounting contact area, trapezoidal in cross section, is dimensionally identical from one format to the other. What this means is that you can use a large format sight on a small format base, or vice versa, once you adapt the sight for an appropriate mounting screw. There may be an issue with available windage, due to the difference in the thickness of the bases and size of the sights. Here's a photo of a Viani mount on a Remington 513T which has both thread sizes to accommodate both formats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.