Weighing completed cartridges. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 AM
NF1E
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weighing completed cartridges.

Just wondering if anyone else weighs completed cartridges?
I had a visitor to my workshop recently that told me he hadn't seen anyone else do it for over 40 years, but was common back in the day.
For my accuracy ammo, I weigh the loaded ammo as I put it in my range box, heaviest to the front and lighter as it gets to the rear. Been doing this for over 50 years.
Seems to keep case weights segregated and has worked for me.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Hard to see how it could hurt, but I wonder how small variations in case, primer and bullet weight sugar off. They could cancel each other out or compliment each other and you'd never know.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:04 AM
NF1E

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just as an experiment, take new commercial ammo and weigh each completed round. The variations will amaze you. You will see how hand loading can be a great asset to accuracy.
I attempt to keep my hand loaded ammo withing a couple of tenths gr.

As an example, we all know gmm is the best right?
I just pulled a couple of boxes of .308 from the stash.
175 gmm weight from 400.9 to 406.2 gr. Variation 5.3 gr in 20 rnds.
165 gmm weight from 378.2 to 384.5 gr. Variation 6.3 gr in 20 rnds.

For most shooters this is of very little interest. For those that have tried either the old 10 dot challenge or the 20 dot, handloading and weighing your ammo should give you a slight advantage over those using commercial.
Even for those using commercial, weighing each box and sorting cartridges by weight can help your groups. Not tremendously with a gas gun, but it is a help.
For the gents with tuned bolt rifles, try this out and see what you think.

Semper Fi
Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 12:16 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just a question, wouldn't those of you that do this, weigh the individual cases and sort them prior to reloading? Maybe even the bullets? Seems it might be easier to keep them segregated that way.

≡✪≡
Old 03-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Damon555
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the individual components aren't sorted by weight then what you are doing is an exercise in futility.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:30 PM
farm boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon555 View Post
If the individual components aren't sorted by weight then what you are doing is an exercise in futility.
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:54 PM
NF1E

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, cases are sorted by mfg, year , weight and number of reloads before prepping as a routine. This is just a final step that has worked well for me for many moons. Maybe I just enjoy the hobby too much.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
Yes, cases are sorted by mfg, year , weight and number of reloads before prepping as a routine. This is just a final step that has worked well for me for many moons. Maybe I just enjoy the hobby too much.

I'll bet the one on the left made the photographer a little nervous.
He has the look of a guy who is about to shoot.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:31 PM
NF1E

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the guy on the right should be nervous with the fellow next to him with his finger on the trigger.
This is an old photo of our local gun club.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 PM
bulletnose
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my experience the bullet weight and powder weight are what is most important !
Old 03-12-2017, 05:21 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I weight sort all of my brass before loading. 223 size by 1 gn, 308/30-06 size by every 2 gn. Once I have done that and all of my charges are individually weighed and trickled to the exact weight, I have no need to weigh them any more after that. My last step is to sort the final loaded rounds by concentricity. 2 or less is full match. 3 mil are sighters and 4 or more are either practice or foulers.

The only time I have weighed a final loaded round was to make sure I had all cases with powder.

My 2 cents

David
Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 PM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoenner View Post
The only time I have weighed a final loaded round was to make sure I had all cases with powder. My 2 cents David
That makes two of us.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 AM
gkcs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For my target loads (F Class 284 and 6.5x47L), my brass (always Lapua) once fully prepped are sorted by weight. After the first firing neck turned again and checked for length and weights rechecked – usually doesn’t change the sorted order. Each case has a unique number engraved on it to allow tracking. My projectiles are tipped and then sorted base to ogive, and then sub sorted by weight. Depending upon the brand of projectile used there can be virtually zero variability to some variability. Loaded rounds are checked for OAL cartridge base to ogive (a step almost not worth doing as they are always =<1 thou). Runout is checked but my loads come in at =<1 thou normally. The only thing that causes a cartridge to be relegated is a variation in expected neck tension when projectile seating.

I never use relegated cartridges for sighters as I view the sighters as important as the rest of the shots to fired in the string – particularly if you can convert then. The sighters are your chance to get a hold on the wind conditions. Why would you want to fire sub standard cartridges at this point?

Weighing the combined cartridge means dealing with 3 weight variables which combined gives you no clue as to the variability of each.

For a while it was also fashionable to weigh the primers on the assumption that a heavier primer may contain more priming compound/greater spark– I never succumbed ha ha.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weighing as you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Just a question, wouldn't those of you that do this, weigh the individual cases and sort them prior to reloading? Maybe even the bullets? Seems it might be easier to keep them segregated that way.
I weigh and sort ALL my cases, bullets, and propellant loads to 0.1 grain. I suppose I should weigh the primers too...
Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 PM
mikeinco2014

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
if you are using the equipment in the pic there is little value added to your weight sorting.
primers contain cup, anvil , priming compound, and sealant. how can you determine if the weight variation is sealant or compound. another task to pass on.

if you want to sort Loaded ammo, do it based on SEATING PRESSURE.
they make a tool for that.