Changing minimum parallax - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
Changing minimum parallax

Anyone know whether Leupold will change the minimum paralllax adjustment from 50 yards down to 25 or less??

Hank
Old 02-25-2017, 09:04 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
Hank, I've had them reduce my scope's parallax to 50 yards, but I'm not sure whether a scope with parallax pre-set at 50, or 75 or 100 yards can be reduced to 25 yards. I'd suggest contacting Leupold (probably the Custom Shop?) directly (1-800-538-7653) to find out. Let us know what you find out.

Doug
Old 02-26-2017, 04:00 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
Anyone know whether Leupold will change the minimum paralllax adjustment from 50 yards down to 25 or less??

Hank
Doubt it, or they would have just done that to begin with.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Pastprime

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Hank, I've had them reduce my scope's parallax to 50 yards, but I'm not sure whether a scope with parallax pre-set at 50, or 75 or 100 yards can be reduced to 25 yards. I'd suggest contacting Leupold (probably the Custom Shop?) directly (1-800-538-7653) to find out. Let us know what you find out.

Doug
I'll get in touch with them Monday, Doug. I have a chance to pick up a Leupold scope this weekend that I would use for 25 yard shooting if the parallax can be adjusted down. Seems I've read somewhere that it can be done be moving the front lens using the notches inside the bell, but I've slept many night since then and just don't remember exactly what was involved.

I'll let you know what they say.

Hank
Old 02-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Rnjr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeh unfortunately leupold fails a rimfire shooters needs. It's been years ago but they used to make a adaptor lense for front of scope that allowed use down to 25 feet or so. I too am in market for quality scope for indoor use, out to over 100 yard field gun for game and their selection sucks
Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Pastprime

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnjr View Post
Yeh unfortunately leupold fails a rimfire shooters needs. It's been years ago but they used to make a adaptor lense for front of scope that allowed use down to 25 feet or so. I too am in market for quality scope for indoor use, out to over 100 yard field gun for game and their selection sucks
I agree that they don't care much for close in shooters. You'd think with all the improvements in air guns the past few years, they would have more to offer. The 6.5-20 EFR's are very nice but too large and too pricey for what I do. Probably end up with a Sightron. Most of theirs in the power range I use will focus below 25 yards.

Hank
Old 02-26-2017, 01:34 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnjr View Post
If I was poor and wanted to do that with one rifle I would buy two old El Paso Weavers -- one a K6, which I would take apart and set the parallax to 25 m. on, and the other a K10. Then I would put on whichever one was appropriate for that day. I'd do that until I could afford two rifles, one for each.

If I could afford it and wanted one scope for your tasks I would get a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 with either the MoA-dot or Mil-dot reticle. I recently got one and am pretty much blown away by the quality of the glass, the controls (focuses very close) and the glow-dot that is there when you need it but needs no battery.

Second choice would be an Athlon, which have great glass for their price and focus pretty close.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Rnjr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally I prefer minimum of 24x off bench, and 1/8th to 1/10th adjustments without all the clutter of mil dots which typically are 1/4 - 1/2 Moa and cover your target. I have many rifles, some with foolproof unertls, T series weavers. But when you get to varibiles it's Chinese $100-300 scopes, or $1500-3000 scope to meet the requirements. No middle ground
Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bushnell Elites w AO will focus down to 10y and can be had with mil-dots.

David
Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 PM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Hank, it it's already AO I think the answer is no...Tom
Old 02-26-2017, 08:42 PM
Pastprime

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
Hank, it it's already AO I think the answer is no...Tom
Looks like the "No's" have it, Tom, but I'll call tomorrow just to make certain.

Hank
Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a VX II Leupold 6X18 that will focus down to 25 yards. The older ones would only focus down to 50 or slightly less.

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the parallax range couldn't be adjusted down on a scope with parallax adjustment. I say this because I sent a 6.5X20 Leupold off to Leupold for some warranty work concerning windage and elevation adjustments. In the process they also replace the objective lens assembly for me. When I got it back, I found that the parallax range was off so much, that I could not adjust it down to fifty yards. So, I did what I have done with a lot of fixed power scopes.....loosened that front objective cell locking ring, rotated the lens assembly in the tube until I got what I wanted, and tightened her up. As a side note, I'll bet one could set those marks on the parallax ring to match the actual distance to target using this method.

So, I might be possible to adjust the parallax down to a shorter distance, though you may find you have lost a little something off the other end of the range. But if you are using the scope for mostly shorter ranges.........shouldn't matter.

Might be worth a try........

Last edited by pump .22s; 02-27-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:23 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Leupold still makes the 50' adaptors. They fit certain models and not all Leupolds. They will work at 50' + or - a few yards. They have to be removed to get back to longer distances. Some of the older Leupold 4-12 AO scopes would go down to 25 yards for hunting and should work with 50' adaptor for close in shooting.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...ter-59021.html
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Pastprime

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
Called Leupold Custom Shop today and asked my question. The answer was "yes" and "no" depending on how old the scope is. The scope I'm looking at was made in 1985 and according to the serial number and he said it could be adjusted to 25 yards or possibly lower. Cost would be about $25.00. So, I'll probably send it to them for a good cleaning and parallax adjustment. I also asked about installing target turrets and he said "possibly" depending on whether they had a set that would fit a scope of that vintage.

Hank
Old 03-02-2017, 03:26 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does your scope have AO?

Fixed, sure that should be easy to set close, but if it has AO I would think if they lowered the minimum distance you would lose it on the other end.