Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 AM
TOU
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Talking Finally got one...Brno ZKW-465 that is.

Hey All,

I know I alluded to this rifle in a couple of post a month or so ago and also posted about it on another site, but thought I would share here as it is likely to be enjoyed and appreciated here amongst my many Brno & CZ friends. I just received it last night from an awesome fellow RFC'er & I'm pretty excited about it! While it is a bit of a "Big Bore" centerfire compared to 22LR, it is still a 22. LOL It is one of the original Brno 1949 ZKW-465 .22 Hornet's …predecessor to the modern CZ 527’s!

Wahoo!!!

As many of you know, I have been looking for the right one at a fair price for some time. But to be the right one, it had to be in 95% or better and not too altered. (No K's or rebarrels) So many are drastically altered or terribly abused or overly used for what I wanted. Of course I already have my Brno ZKB-680 Fox II in .22 Hornet which is really a great rifle and it even has a DeLUX stock. BUT...I really wanted...no, NEEDED a 465 for many reasons. As to my 680, I really like it BUT after having my 465 for just one day, I LOVE it; they really are not even close in comparison.

Many years ago I handled a 465 for just a moment but I had forgotten how amazingly esthetically and ergonomically pleasing they are to the eye as well as to the touch. As soon as you shoulder and handle this rifle once, you know why many folks consider these fine little Czech rifles as one of the finest 22 Hornet sporters ever made. Pretty broad statement but handle one and you will understand. (I have no doubt it will shoot just as well as advertised.)

Next, you all know how much I love the fit, finish and aesthetic lines of the Brno Model #1's. Well think of these as beautiful walnut checkered ever so slightly larger Model #1 with a TRUE miniature Mauser based action in 22 Hornet with twin triggers. (It can be fired standard with a HEAVY trigger or with the hair set trigger in the ounces. Barrel is 22.8” long and over all length is said to be 41.3”. weight is about 6.2 lbs. To me, there are several similarities in design between the Brno Model #1 (ZKM-451) & the later released Brno ZKW-465…both have several classic and timeless old world features of a “day gone by”. Please note the following photo.

Top: Brno ZKW-465
Bottom: Brno ZKM-451 (Model #1)
(Sorry I can't remember who to give credit to for this photo.)

To start with, my favorite field open sights are those found on the Brno Model #1/#5’s…the tri-leaf express style sights. The tri-leafs on the 465’s are set to 100M (center), 150M (rear) 200M (front) whereas the the Model #1/#5’s 50/75/100M’s. They are otherwise virtually identical. (The 680's are just standard rear sights.) In comparing the 680’s vs the 465’s, I like the balance, ergonomics, receiver, trigger, magazine, sights, stock shape and fit and finish of the 465 better...it is instantly comfortable the moment you pick it up. I also like the 465’s more open ejection system vs. the 680’s more closed design. (Think Brno Model #1/#3 vs Brno Model #2, #4 & #5…CZ 452/453’s are even more open than the #2, #4, #5.) As noted the fit & finish are superior to the 680 Fox II and for the most part the 527’s…and the tolerances are so much tighter yet smoother. The 465’s bolt is unbelievably smooth like butter very reminiscent of the Brno Model #1’s. (I have not measured yet, but I believe it’s bolt is a bit shorter than the 527’s...so maybe the throw is less as well as the receiver.) I like the 465 magazine as well as its fit and finish…and ease of use over the 680 & 527’s. Like the bolt, the magazine goes in and out like butter and is sooo much easier and smoother than my 680 or 527's. It can be put in with the slightest effort of a single finger and released drop free with a slight but intentional bump of the back of a finger in the trigger guard.

Don’t get me wrong, I do love the little 527’s as well and mean no disrespect to them just saying what I like better in comparison…just personal preferences. Of note, I probably also like the 527’s even more than my 680 for day to day use. Especially considering you can get it in so many various adaptations. I have nearly a dozen of them…and will likely buy a few more at some point. I just LOVE the small calibers.) I'm really fine with the twin triggers of the 465 & 680 overall but feel the 527’s single set is likely superior in some ways for a field rifle over the twin trigger and from what I see so far, the 527 is a bit easier to adjust. For buying a new modern small caliber…I just don’t think there is ANYTHING better for the money than a CZ 527.

Back to my 465, it looks to have been shot very rarely and the bore and blue are easily +98%...bluing is very deep rich blue with absolutely no scratches pitting or blemishes. There is only the slightest decreased blue on the crown…very slight. The stock is also pretty pristine with a deep rich finish, nice wood, & completely preserved checkering on the grip & forend. The Schnabel is perfect and the rifle just has a couple of safe dings on the stock...not abused. FYI, the Schnabel is a bit more pronounced than a #1 but not overly so like on some Annie’s. (JMHO) I have to admit that the only thing I am not fond of on this fine little rifle is the silly aftermarket “White Line Deluxe” butt pad (replaced original saddle butt plate).. Many of them tend to have shrunk or become brittle, but…that will be replaced back to OEM as soon as I can source the correct butt plate. It is also missing it’s original front sight hood…hopefully Denny will be able to eventually hook me up with that as well. The rings/base seem to maybe period but I am not as familiar with these. To my surprise it even came with a Weaver K6 scope which looks to be pretty clear. Over all, it definitely seems to be in really excellent condition for a +60 year old rifle and I feel VERY blessed to have been given the opportunity to work a more than fair deal on this rifle! (Thank you.)

Final thought…if you have the opportunity to see one of these for sale at some gun show…DO NOT pick it up and shoulder it…you WILL buy it if you do.

See what you think of the pictures I was sent...may add a few more later but thought these were pretty good.

All the best!

Last edited by TOU; 06-15-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:18 AM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
TOU,
Congrats on the new Hornet! She looks great--can't wait for a range report. I think maybe I'll take my Stecher to the range tomorrow--you have inspired me.

cb
Old 06-13-2010, 01:01 AM
freetrade57

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow what a looker!!!::
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
Very nice, my friend. Glad that it has found a loving new home.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 AM
35WCF
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Tou
Very nice Hornet, the good news is the mounts are propriotory BRNO;

The very same ones that were on the 3X Lesar when it was offered as a package deal on the Brno 22 LR's and the Hornet. It is actually to take a 25mm diameter scope. But the inch (25.4mm) went in.

This is the one you are after, look for 3X Lesar;

http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=318

Cheers, Paul
Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Very nice!

Congrats!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What an excellent little rifle. Very nice.

Is it a shooter or for collection only?

As much as I like my 527 Hornet I am positive that you are correct that this is a more desirable little rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Hornet 6

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to Hornet 6 Send a message via Skype™ to Hornet 6
Now that is what I spent 4 months looking for before I gave up and went with a .223, beautiful

Neil.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
That's just a little sweet heart TOU, as nice as you said, congrats my friend. Just wished you lived close enough to get my hands on her.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Big Bones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a super addition to your collection TOU. Very nice indeed.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Earl Baugher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Weaver 6x

Weaver is re-making their K-series fixed power scopes (may even be steel IIRC) so you can get the upgraded glass/gas and same "period" look... they may be making them only in 4x though.

Nice snag!

Do NOT convert to K-Hornet... the latest "replacement" curved butt plates from Denny did NOT have the Z or CZ on them. and need to be "trimmed" to fit the Mod 1 stocks that I got them for...
Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tou,
From the pictures, it looks like whoever put the recoil pad on, took the curve out of the butt of the rifle. If they did, the original butt plates will not fit. If the curve is still there, I think this is what might work:

If so they are reproduction plates from Hoosier Gun Works that are listed as Model 1 plates; however, they look like they would also work on the ZKWs. Look on their web site.

John

Last edited by beartrax; 06-13-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:06 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
TOU - congrats, that's one fine rifle.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 PM
LeviSS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is there a good source for learning about old BRNO's? I wish I could know half of what you guys do.

Beauty Rifle!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:15 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Click on the Blue Brno trade mark in the TOU's signature and you'll open a wealth of information.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=175853