Who made Shooters Ridge barrels? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
Who made Shooters Ridge barrels?

About five or six years ago, I was building a 10/22 for smallbore silhouette matches and had ordered a Green Mountain barrel for it. It turned out that Green Mountain didn't have the barrel I wanted in stock then. A few days later, I was at the local Cabela's and they had an 18" .920" diameter blued fluted barrel for the 10/22 with the Bentz chamber. It was marked as Shooters Ridge, and was about the same price as the Green Mountain, so I bought it and installed it in the 10/22. It turned out to work very well, and I won my class several times with it, and won one match overall. So I was pretty happy with the barrel.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was who made it. It turns out that Shooters Ridge was a name used by Outers, and I knew that they didn't make barrels. Apparently at some point, Outers sold the name (and maybe everything else) to an outfit called Champion Traps & Targets, which now uses the Shooters Ridge label for some shooting rests and bags. No barrels any more.

So does anyone have any idea which barrel manufacturer actually made Shooters Ridge 10/22 barrels? As I said earlier, the one I have shoots very well, and since apparently the barrels are now more or less extinct, it may be a minor collector's item. I'd really love to know who made it. Hardly anyone seems to have ever heard of Shooters Ridge barrels, let alone who made them, so I'm hoping that someone on RFC can shed some light on this.

Last edited by CATMguy445; 02-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:18 PM
22rimfire22
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shooters Ridge

Somewhere along the way I read that these barrels were made by Green Mountain as a store brand for Cabelas. I looked again this morning and could not find anyone who shows them available.
I am glad to say that I have one on a 10/22 that I put together a couple years ago and it is the most consistently accurate rimfire I own, Savage, Marlin, and an older High Standard model 30 in original configuration that shoots equal to the Savage and Marlin.
I was not aware until today they had been discontinued and that they had a Bentz chamber so that seals the deal for me, I will keep mine!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Win75
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMguy445 View Post
About five or six years ago, I was building a 10/22 for smallbore silhouette matches and had ordered a Green Mountain barrel for it. It turned out that Green Mountain didn't have the barrel I wanted in stock then. A few days later, I was at the local Cabela's and they had an 18" .920" diameter blued fluted barrel for the 10/22 with the Bentz chamber. It was marked as Shooters Ridge, and was about the same price as the Green Mountain, so I bought it and installed it in the 10/22. It turned out to work very well, and I won my class several times with it, and won one match overall. So I was pretty happy with the barrel.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was who made it. It turns out that Shooters Ridge was a name used by Outers, and I knew that they didn't make barrels. Apparently at some point, Outers sold the name (and maybe everything else) to an outfit called Champion Traps & Targets, which now uses the Shooters Ridge label for some shooting rests and bags. No barrels any more.

So does anyone have any idea which barrel manufacturer actually made Shooters Ridge 10/22 barrels? As I said earlier, the one I have shoots very well, and since apparently the barrels are now more or less extinct, it may be a minor collector's item. I'd really love to know who made it. Hardly anyone seems to have ever heard of Shooters Ridge barrels, let alone who made them, so I'm hoping that someone on RFC can shed some light on this.
I know this is an older thread but I have a Shooters Ridge that I bought several years ago and put on my 10/22. I worked at a LGS back then and checked with a contact at Champion. I was told that the barrels at that time were being made by E. R. Shaw. Mine shoots better than I do so I would never get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 01:25 PM
jackfrost
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So still no definitive answer for the manufacturer of Shooter’s Ridge barrels. I also bought tow non fluted stainless barrels. I had one threaded and the other one is still in the original package. Mine is as accurate as my Shilen, Kidd, Fedderson, Clark, and Green Mountain barrels. I know that is saying a lot but it shoots extremely well. Several times I almost gave it away on rifles I built for friends but no one wanted it over a name brand barrel so I use it to test suppressors and modified trigger groups.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My guess would be GM.