Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 PM
murderman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How big is too big?

I finally received my Anschutz 1727F AV-22 yesterday, and tonight I had some time to try out some scopes on it. Since folks here often comment about what the "right" size scope for a given rifle is, I thought that I would see what y'all's opinion is of these options:

First I tried a Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40 EFR, but to me it sort of looks "funny", and more importantly an AO doesn't seem ideal for this sort of rifle.

Then, just for grins, I swapped over a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56 from one of my .308's, but it seems a little "excessive" even to me, and then what would I use on that .308?

Lastly, I mounted up a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 that I picked up for $829 during the recent Cabelas sale. I think that this is the one that I will start off with.

I imagine that folks will ask what the application is, and my best response would be, "whatever happens to be fun at the time".....a little plinking, a little paper punching 50-100y using a bipod, and maybe even stretching out to 300y steels using a bipod like I do with my 1712 once a 25MOA base becomes available from DIP, although the Leupy is probably a little suspect dialing in ~50MOA back and forth reliably.

Ooops, wrong pic at first.

Last edited by murderman; 01-11-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 PM
proximo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At 300yds, hell, even at 200yds, you'll want to see your misses and you'll definitely want to be able to hold windage accurately. The more power and decent reticle, the better. I currently have a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA mounted on a CZ 455 Varmint for practicing wind calls at 200. It's SFP and the reticle is indexed for 24x which is perfect at 200. I'd want the 32x for spotting misses at 300. The reticle also has a floating dot in the center which combined with the 32x makes it a great paper target shooter from the bench, even at 50yd.

Big and a bit heavy? Yeah, but I'm not stomping the woods hunting squirrels with it. The application, in particular the mix of uses and which is most important to you, should be the deciding factor over looks or weight.

Last edited by proximo; 01-11-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Too big? That's a matter of opinion and use. I always favor quality over magnification, though.

Get what you like and enjoy, and go shooting and have fun.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Moedum1

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought sporter rifles with rails look odd even with compact scopes. I have a Leupold VX-2 6-18 scope in Burris Signature medium rimfire rings on a CZ 453 American and it doesn't overwhelm the little sporter.

Until I read that you might be shooting out to 300 yards, I thought the Leupold VX-2 3-9 EFR would have been a good match for your rifle.

Very nice looking rifle, by the way.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:57 PM
katonahjohn
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proximo View Post
At 300yds, hell, even at 200yds, you'll want to see your misses and you'll definitely want to be able to hold windage accurately. The more power and decent reticle, the better. I currently have a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA mounted on a CZ 455 Varmint for practicing wind calls at 200. It's SFP and the reticle is indexed for 24x which is perfect at 200. I'd want the 32x for spotting misses at 300. The reticle also has a floating dot in the center which combined with the 32x makes it a great paper target shooter from the bench, even at 50yd.

Big and a bit heavy? Yeah, but I'm not stomping the woods hunting squirrels with it. The application, in particular the mix of uses and which is most important to you, should be the deciding factor over looks or weight.
Seeing as I only have access to an outside range, and if it hasn't been raining/snowing it's been cold and windy here, I am more than envious of your 'shooting station"!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:42 AM
proximo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know I'm blessed. It was a cold and windy day but this shows why I can comfortably shoot year round,

It's a small hut on my club's 200yd line.

The view downrange...

Last edited by proximo; 01-14-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I need to forward those pics to my clubs president. I think I'll bring it up at the next meeting. Looks like an awesome setup. Hopefully I can get them on board and have the same privilege as you on these cold winter NE days.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks wise too big; for tree rats and nite fox it suits all my wants.
VX-III Leo 3.5-10x50 IL D