Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 PM
Speed 1B

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ammo Testing and Barrel Cleaning

Ive been stocking up on some ammo and would like to do some testing to see what my gun likes best. I know from cleaning my gun in the past it seems to shoot best after about 25 shots after a cleaning. When testing these different loads should i completely clean the barrel with solvent or just use a dry patch? I want to see what performs the best so i can make a big purchase of some ammo for club shooting this winter.

Also... I live in PA. Its cold and snowy here now. Ive read some things about cold temperatures affecting the accuracy of the shells. When i sight my gun in for 50ft competition it will be outside probably in temperature around 20-30 degrees. The clubs i shoot at are indoor shoots with temperatures around 70 degrees. Should i do my best to keep the shells around 70 degrees when sighting in for best results or is it not that critical?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:33 PM
Code54
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We always sighted in upon arriving at a new range to make sure nothing got bumped on our travels and it would allow you to fine tune for temperature.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 PM
Rosebud22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stick a box of 50 rounds in your shirt pocket. Should keep the temp at a reasonable constant temp. I live in Commiefornia and lately it has been cold for us. ~40F.
Noticed shooting accuracy has been going down hill at this temp. Not sure if it is cold ammo or the chattering of my teeth. We are expecting another cold week so I plan on testing the shirt pocket trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 11:32 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try and test the ammo the same temps you'll be shooting in. Chemical handwarmers are great stuck in a pocket or appropriate size insulated container with the ammo. JMO YMMV
Old 01-01-2017, 08:08 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've found .22 ammo shoots better when it's kept warm. If I'm shooting seriously much below about 50F, I keep my ammo in a small cooler with a Mason jar full of hot water and a couple hand towels. Take out enough to load a couple mags then stick them in an inside pocket. The cooler stays warm for 3-4 hours, by that time I'm cold enough to call it a day.
At short range you may not see much difference, at 50-100 yds it's more noticeable.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:48 AM
BamaInArk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In regards to cleaning the barrel in between ammo changes...........

I am no expert but I have read of some other people who tested different rimfire ammo to establish an accuracy mark. In those tests they guys shot some spoiler rounds each time the ammo was changed. I wanna suggest it was around 10(or maybe 5) spoiler rounds before going for groups.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=4691
Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaInArk View Post
In regards to cleaning the barrel in between ammo changes...........

I am no expert but I have read of some other people who tested different rimfire ammo to establish an accuracy mark. In those tests they guys shot some spoiler rounds each time the ammo was changed. I wanna suggest it was around 10(or maybe 5) spoiler rounds before going for groups.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=4691
I usually dry patch the barrel a couple times, using the string trimmer pull through a la Dr. Gunner. Then start with new ammo. 5-10 seasoning rounds then start shooting for results. If it doesn't group well within 25 or so rounds I call it a day for that ammo.
Even with a freshly cleaned, scrubbed barrel both my CZs seem to be at peak accuracy within about 10 rounds or less. I clean thoroughly every 500 rounds and both are well broken in by now.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Ron AKA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a good article on how to test ammo and get statistically valid results. I use a box of 50 rounds to test a load. Two are used for barrel fouling, and the remaining 48 are used to shoot 24 two shot groups. I have found no statistically significant trend in group size from the first group shot to the 24th group.

Testing Loads

Most powder is temperature sensitive, so changing temperatures will have an effect on point of impact.

Last edited by Ron AKA; 01-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM
1813benny
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed 1B View Post
Ive been stocking up on some ammo and would like to do some testing to see what my gun likes best. I know from cleaning my gun in the past it seems to shoot best after about 25 shots after a cleaning. When testing these different loads should i completely clean the barrel with solvent or just use a dry patch? I want to see what performs the best so i can make a big purchase of some ammo for club shooting this winter.

Also... I live in PA. Its cold and snowy here now. Ive read some things about cold temperatures affecting the accuracy of the shells. When i sight my gun in for 50ft competition it will be outside probably in temperature around 20-30 degrees. The clubs i shoot at are indoor shoots with temperatures around 70 degrees. Should i do my best to keep the shells around 70 degrees when sighting in for best results or is it not that critical?

Thanks.
Speed,
1. What type of competition do you shoot?

2. What distance (s) do you compete at?

3. What is your basic cleaning regimen ?

4. What is your testing set up?

5. What ammo are you planning to test and grade levels?

6. What is your home club here in Pa?

Regards
Ken

Last edited by 1813benny; 01-01-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Speed 1B

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1-2. I shoot off hand 50' matches at local sportsmans clubs. After the shoots we do some informal bench shooting at 50' as well. They aren't really competitive shooting clubs....hence all
The questions i ask here.

3. Ive been cleaning the gun with a patch worm and hoppes.

4. I shoot groups out doors at 1" targets at 50' from sand bags.

5. I have wolf match, several different aguila grades, rws target rifle, and a box of the remington eley.

6. I Am not a member of any club.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:14 AM
Toni from N.Z.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Test Cleaning.

Can't help you with the temp. issues as it aint around zero here often.
I have seen folks with a nice rifle and ammo combo try other cartridges for interest or improvement sake and after trials they have not been on centre until another 15 rds of their favourite stuff was fired as it had to sweep out and refoul with it's own fouling to work again.
I like Hoppes on neglected bores or for a annual spring clean as it cleans right back but for routine cleans I used for decades Youngs 303, no longer available here , so now Balistol.
I only use balistol with a pullthrough and patches for a 'gentle' clean so as to leave some wax for protection and so I only need the very minimum of fouling rds.
A gentle clean might save you a lot of changeover rds and a fair bit of fatigue.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni from N.Z. View Post
a 'gentle' clean so as to leave some wax for protection and so I only need the very minimum of fouling rds.
A gentle clean might save you a lot of changeover rds and a fair bit of fatigue.

This is my routine when testing $$ ammo. Cheaper ammo often gets shot wo cleaning until groups improve or, worsen.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Speed 1B

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guys. Hoping to do my testing this weekend.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:32 AM
Toni from N.Z.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking Hello Al.

Thank You Al.
I prefer to lightly clean even if going to 'cheap' ammo coz it ain't that cheap here.
Can get Win 555 locally at moment for US$55, other stuff up to $US 80 brick.
If I don't clean and fire 20rds to refoul I start to get a bit fatigued and can't do the test justice, esp, if testing a few new types.
The temp. here dosen't give much trouble for rimfires, just other enviro. factors such as 12' of rain annually.
Still, my superphophate is washing in and the water tank if full.