Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:38 PM
claytonsdad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question What do you use your .17 for?

I've been intrigued by this round for some time. The main thing keeping me from owning one right now, is what I will call a lack of purpose. Small game guys (squirrel, rabbit, etc..) seem to agree that it is too destructive. I really don't hunt coyotes and such, so I won't enter the debate there. All this leads me to ask what you guys use your .17 for besides punching paper. Any responses would be appreciated. You guys will either quell my craving to have one or convince me I need one.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:13 PM
SteelPig
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to SteelPig Send a message via AIM to SteelPig
Currently use my HMR for hunting.

Yes the HMR can be very destructive and can even partially eviscerate some small game. Even head shots are are gory in that most of the head is gone making it look like like a canoe.

But the extra range and flat trajectory is what makes it shine in the rimfire world.

Great on small vermin and varmints.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:24 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one and ended up prairie dog hunting over the next three summers.Its just been sitting since then.Even with head shots it's awfully messy for small game,I prefer a 22 for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 03:01 PM
kentgoldings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 HMR does not need to be distructive. 20 grain FMJ and Gampoints to much less meat damage than popular 17 grain varmint loads.

I hunt squirrels with my 17 HMR. But, I mostly use it to 100 yard targets.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:53 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
You just say .17, leaves it open. I use my m2 and cf Hornady Hornet to target shoot. Will use the .17 HH next winter for coyote at reasonable distances. HMR, well that caliber has no use for me. For the $ I can shoot my HH and the HMR sucks azz compared to it.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:05 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I use mine (.17 HMR) for target shooting. It matches the accuracy I can get from my .22LRs when shooting the latter with high-end match ammo.

However, if I were interested in either small-game hunting or, more likely varminting, I'd see this cartridge as greatly superior to the .22LR--better accuracy than hunting-velocity .22LR loads, much flatter trajectory out to 200 yards, and far greater downfield energy and killing power. I'd see my .17 HMR as possibly the best rimfire gun for 100-150-yard varmint hunting.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:05 PM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonsdad View Post
I've been intrigued by this round for some time. The main thing keeping me from owning one right now, is what I will call a lack of purpose. Small game guys (squirrel, rabbit, etc..) seem to agree that it is too destructive. I really don't hunt coyotes and such, so I won't enter the debate there. All this leads me to ask what you guys use your .17 for besides punching paper. Any responses would be appreciated. You guys will either quell my craving to have one or convince me I need one.
I gotta agree with you on this comment. I really like the looks of the .17 HMR round but I tend to reach for my .22 mag or 22 LR first.

I am intrigued by the .17 WSM . . . but my .22 Hornet does everything it could do as permitted by regs. But I handled some SS Savage WSM bull barrels today. What's another rifle in the big picture??
Old 08-02-2016, 05:02 PM
david_root2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a 17 HMR for 100 yard offhand shooting and Hunters Silly Wets. Then last year I took it squirrel hunting and loved it. Head shots only but like a laser. I have used it for the 50 yard offhand match on this here website.

Kind of feels like cheating shooting against 22 rimfire.

They banned 17HMR from my Hunters silhouette match. "Too much damage to the targets" I saw none. The first time I took it there, everybody shot it, we examined the targets and decided no problem. It would not knock the center fire targets down. Some of the chickens, maybe a pig or two, other wise its listen for the hit. I shot the rimfie targets which were smaller and thinner. Still no damage I coud see.

It is now my squirrel and rabbit gun.

David
Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First and foremost the 17HMR is simply fun to shoot. The lightning fast round is wicked accurate at much longer distance than the .22LR. I shoot for fun and varmint whacking...also fun. I use my Anschutz 1517MPR for targets and prairie dogs. Have killed 100s of prairie dogs. It indeed packs a whallop; much greater than 22LR hollow points. I also killed numerous coons, possums, etc. I also have a Ruger 77/17 with which I have hunted squirrels ( now use an Anschutz 1502 17mach2). As a squirrel round it is amazing. Prior to finding the mach2, I used to shoot it in late fall when longer shots could be had because of leafless trees. I make it a practice to not take any shot that is not a head shot. In spite of good intentions, I sometimes miss and hit a bit low and take out a shoulder. But, the squirrel goes down hard. If you gut-shoot a squirrel, it will be badly torn up...so don't. I think too much is made of the destruction of game from the 17HMR. Even when I hit a shoulder, most of the good meat remains intact. I've killed many 100s of squirrels so I speak from personal experience. Is it more destructive than a .22? Certainly, but it has also brought home plenty of meat. Perhaps more than the 22 because it is capable of longer shots.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:35 PM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bragging rights.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nothing now its sucking up safe space, I've moved on to the 17WSM for the truck/varmint gun.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:25 AM
PlentyCoups

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gopher getter when ricochets are of concern and the ranges are close. 22-250 with 55 grain V-Max for the same reason when I have to reach out a bit.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:59 AM
BigBull301
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sage rats and rock chucks.

Yes there can be massive tissue damage. The birds don't mind at all.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:02 AM
darkdave.32

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
My grandson and I use ours for when we are calling coon. Sometime even a head shot coon from a .22 can get away or run up under brush ect. and make it difficult to retrieve, but a .17HMR turns the inside of it's scull to jelly.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
PAPER

The .22 lr is there for size comparison

5 shots 100 yds CCI A17 Ammo

With this......Fluted barrel 453

JEFF