Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM
andrews1958

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Kimber 22 pistol

I just bought a Kimber 22 pistol. Do they make a better aftermarket site that can be installed to replace the factory one?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Richard King
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It would depend on the actual manufacturer. At one time, Kimber sold Ciener conversion units under their name. Don't know if this is still the case?

Many gun manufacturers are now importing and selling European replica .22's as made by GSG. And a couple of other European manufacturers, whose names I have forgotten?

Best thing to do would be to call the customer reps at Brownells gun parts. Give them all the information that marked on the pistol. Ask them if they sell target sights, for that particular model. Be advised, if you replace the rear sight with a larger adjustable one. You also might have to have, a new higher front sight.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
1shotbob
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1911 Kimber 22lr conversion which is about 5 years old comes with Kimbers version of a adjustiable bomar rear target sight which is excellent .!
My ageing eyes need help so i installed a Burris FF-3 red dot sight on mine, and i really like it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Captain Bob
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotbob View Post
My 1911 Kimber 22lr conversion which is about 5 years old comes with Kimbers version of a adjustiable bomar rear target sight which is excellent .!
My ageing eyes need help so i installed a Burris FF-3 red dot sight on mine, and i really like it
I use a c-more serindipity on my Kimber 22 and it works well
The Captain
Old 11-07-2014, 11:16 AM
mostring
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw this thread the other day and decided not to comment since the original post was in August. But since its been bumped, I'll tell you about my Kimber Target 22.

I don't know what you mean by "better" because the factory target sights work well. That being said i do not use mine for target but for fast aquisition. I called Dawson Precision and they fixed me up. I replaced the front with .090W X .180H fiber optic. The rear is adjustable, fiber optic, and I think the notch is .115W. The rear sight is adjusted all of the way down (sighted @ 15yrds) because of the .180H front, I think they will make a taller one if that is a problem for you.

If anybody is interested I can post part #s. Also expect to spend about $125.

Frank
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 PM
mostring
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On the left is my Kimber 22 Target with Dawson Precision sights. Notice that the rear sight is adjusted to the bottom to accommodate the short front sight. My goal was to duplicate the sight picture of my STI Trojan.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:06 PM
usmcchet9296
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to usmcchet9296 Send a message via MSN to usmcchet9296 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcchet9296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I use a c-more serindipity on my Kimber 22 and it works well
The Captain
id like to see that Capt

use a Kimber for 2-gun matches and it works great
Old 12-29-2014, 06:10 PM
usmcchet9296

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to usmcchet9296 Send a message via MSN to usmcchet9296 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcchet9296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostring View Post
On the left is my Kimber 22 Target with Dawson Precision sights. Notice that the rear sight is adjusted to the bottom to accommodate the short front sight. My goal was to duplicate the sight picture of my STI Trojan.
I also replaced the from sight with a dawson

made acquisition much easier

one guy who shoots the 2-gun matches with me has a Marvel unit with a reddot sight

man he shoots it fast
Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Captain Bob
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 View Post
id like to see that Capt

use a Kimber for 2-gun matches and it works great
I can email a picture but not sure how to attach to this post. Also added a flared maxwell and larger mag release for competition shooting. I have some 14 & 15 round mags tht I use that are better than the Kimber mags.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a Leupold Delta Point on mine, which has worked great.

The kit comes with various base attachments for a number of different brands.

I have one on my Les Baer also.

I'll post a picture as soon as at the Sun comes up.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-01-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
usmcchet9296

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
I put a Leupold Delta Point on mine, which has worked great.

The kit comes with various base attachments for a number of different brands.

I have one on my Les Baer also.

I'll post a picture as soon as at the Sun comes up.

Smooth
The added weight doesn't mess-up the function of the slide?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
usmcchet9296

As far as whether the Burris FF will fit or not, I don't know, but Burris lists one possible mount on their site #410323.
The original Kimber sight weighs 1.2oz, and the Delta point weighs .6oz, and even with it's mounting hardware it still weighs less than the original.

Mine with the supplied bases just fit right into the dovetail after you removed the original sight.
It locks in with an undersized dovetail mount and some locking screws.

Interesting that my more detailed posts going a bit back and forth with Gizzy on this topic have been deleted. Although that may have been on a different post.

Not real happy about that.

Smooth.

P.S. Saw your PM.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 04-14-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:18 AM
usmcchet9296

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Kimber with a Burris Fastfire
Untitled by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

Untitled by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr
Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Kantuckid
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a Kimber target 1911 .22 -same as above post with red dot-not even delivered as yet! In fact, my lifelong interest in rimfires caused me to want the pistol AND to join this forum. I have barely "cracked the surface" here but enjoying the expertise to be found. Also seems to be the same web dose of "interesting" members too...

My eyes still check out 20/20 at recent yearly checkup but be assured that these 72+ year old eyes are not nearly as perceptive as the ones I flew with, hit baseballs and so on.
Per the direction of this thread: A recent American Rifleman article delves into into modern shooting optics and red dots in particular get attention. The aging shooters eyes are a beneficiary of the new optics and I do plan to try them out on the new Kimber.
I also plan to install slim grips as my fingers are stubby and a 1911 frame is something of a minor reach for me. The light weight of this pistol helps in this respect grip wise, plus in my case my hands lack the strength they had prior to CTS release surgery. You never regain your former hand strength! Actually the Buckmark was the better choice for me in grip choice vs. my compromised hands but I'm a sucker for this Kimber!
After reading several "what should I buy threads" nearby to this one, I have a comment towards price as it's naturally mentioned often and honestly, my pockets are not so deep as many others that shoot. we live on teacher retirement checks, nothing else. Lots of folks recommend pistols other than Kimber and some other high price point choices. I'm certainly not "playing the higher cost is the best" card either! My point is to say that some folks know how to find a deal, some don't! This is common in guns, cars, you name it. many people are unwilling to shop outside their own backyards, so to speak. That's their choice to make but in my case I often search far & wide and take the time to wait until the right deal comes along. I also travel when it comes to high dollar items like vehicles, even fly and drive or fly and ride.
That's how I have become the owner of a pistol that's not only pricey, but NIB, yet way below MSRP. It's not about me being smarter, it's about me doing some smart looking- and we all know sometimes the stars line up, sometimes not...
Here's looking forward to learning some things about my Kimber here and I'm also in the market for a Ruger 10/22 Sporter, so eventually I'll be into that rifle here!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM
fun2drive

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kimber Dry Firing Issue

My Kimber conversion unit on either my Colt of S&W framed 1911's has a lot of FTF and FTE regardless of ammo type be it HV or std .22LR. After polishing the slide and trying to reduce friction as well as change the main spring on the Colt from #23 to #19 it still functions the same (Kimber recommendation in the manual).
Then on an obscure site at least to me (Marlin long gun site) I discovered a member who reported his Kimber conversion unit had the same issues. Upon very close examination he discovered his firing pin (Kimber allows dry firing) was impacting the back of the barrel.
What that caused was a very imperceptible dimple on the edge of the chamber. I had to put the barrel chamber in bright sun but was able to see it then. I removed the dimple but have not fired the weapon since. I will and report back but you other Kimber .22 conversion owners might wish to check yours too. Since outs doesn't hold the slide open with the mag we dry fire it on almost every magazine. That dimple is sufficient to catch on the fired round upon extraction since it has expanded and that dimple makes a nice catch. This is the theory which I hope to test in a few days to see if that dimple is causing the issue.

I am pretty disappointed that Kimber would have such a poor tolerance. You typically see this only on lessor .22 weapons. I plan to keep my dry firing to a minimum now and check my chamber for dimpling and correct if need be.
Hope this helps....

Last edited by fun2drive; 09-18-2016 at 11:18 AM.