Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 PM
bowdog
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I think most of it went to Government Ammo Reserve Program. also known as GASP
Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
lornedavis
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

central MI., the house with the rifle range out back!
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have returned bad ammo to Win. and got coupons (good for Win produts) in return worth cost of ammo
Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM
YSYEO
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornedavis View Post
I have returned bad ammo to Win. and got coupons (good for Win produts) in return worth cost of ammo
In this ammo climate, if I couldn't get replacement ammo, I would rather have cash. A coupon restricted to one brand is just like the rebate I once received on a set of tires in the form of a Shell gas card. Shell had pretty much moved out of my area. No stations within a hundred miles

Last edited by YSYEO; 02-02-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually pulling the bullet dumping the loads rewweighing the loads and recimping the .22 LR is within the bounds of reality -barely ,you need the proper dies or the skill to make them,something to make do won't work for hundreds ,maybe 1000's of rds,there are however people who do it to assure themselves of accurate .22 LR. Ammo.A better way would be to invest in a good electronic scale. With a resolution of..05 or better,then weigh one known ,good bullet of the same brand and model bullet ,then weigh each bullet ,keeping in mind there will be minor variations in each component of each bullet(some 40 gr.bullets might weigh 40.1 gr some might weigh 39.9 gr. for instance) you need to know the weight of a known safe load of powder.( of the same brand and model cartridge,)then watch for bullets with that much extra weight ,mind you ,there is not a lot of powder weight in a .22 LR round,about 51.6 gr.for the round and only 1 gr. is powder( on avg. approx.!!!) after finding this all out for this post my estimation is,depending on the quality of the components there might be enough component weight variation to disguise a double charge of powder.
By the way I pulled a bullet from a CCI std vel. With 40 gr. bullets and it weighed40.1 gr.lower quality bullets in other ammo might have a greater deviation of weight and I have no idea about the cases and primer weight.
You might just better send them in ! Of course ,they might not bother a good bolt action...
Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 PM
BLSTexas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSYEO View Post
In this ammo climate, I would rather have cash. A coupon restricted to one brand is just like the rebate I once received on a set of tires in the form of a Shell gas card. Shell had pretty much moved out of my area. No stations within a hundred miles
I've got (and can get more) cash. I would want ammo(not coupons either). Finding .22 around here is almost like trying to find real ivory or cuban cigars. It's out there, but you got to know where and be ready to jump when it shows up.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:17 PM
eagle66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got two bricks of 1K and both are stamped 2GD52L. Probably purchased between March and June. Waited over two months to get these. Not a happy camper !
Old 02-02-2014, 03:29 PM
seven twenty
US Coast Guard Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Just got off the phone with Winchester. They will be sending a shipping company to pick up my M 22 on Friday. I have about three 500 bricks (one was open and I shot about 100) They said that I will reimbursed $50 per brick. They told me to box the ammo and write some stuff on the box and that the shipping company would have a label. Hope things go as smoothly as the phone call went!
You might be disappointed when the check arrives as this stuff sells for less than $50/1000. Their "brick" is 2 500rnd boxes.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:49 PM
cmr13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought mine in February of last year at Walmart but checked it to be sure. Mine is good to go. *whew*
Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Dezfan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Luckily I saw this last week as I inventory all of my ammo the first weekend in Feb every year.

I would have been ****ed to have found this out after inventory and have to do it again.

Thankfully, no recalled ammo in my cache.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM
CB900F
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fella's;

I do not have any of the M22 ammo, but I do have some useful information I'd hope. Back when, there was a recall of Winchester PowerPoint .22lr ammunition and I did have some of that. I notified Winchester, immediately got a pre-paid return label & shipped it to them. In a matter of weeks I got the same amount of ammo in return from them.

I remember it as being a quick and professional remedy on their part. I'd hope that this situation will go the same way.

900F
Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM
SilverDollarDave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it, or isn't it?

I have some of this ammo, but no box(es). Is there any way I can weigh these to see if they contain extra powder?

I weighed (3) lots of 100 and each lot weighed fractionally over 339 grams.

Last edited by SilverDollarDave; 02-06-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 AM
eagle66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sent back 2 bricks of the recalled ammo. I should be getting a replacement.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM
markchem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDollarDave View Post
I have some of this ammo, but no box(es). Is there any way I can weigh these to see if they contain extra powder?

I would think at a minimum you would have to weigh individual rounds, not 100 at a time. It is my understanding that some may have a double charge, and some may not, and all you are doing by weighing 100 is getting a weight, of well ... 100. Do all contain an extra charge, or just a few? Who knows?

It might be possible to weigh individual rounds on a sensitive powder scale and see if the weights vary by several grains, but I don't even think that I would trust that. Besides that would be a tedious pain in the butt.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
BLSTexas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDollarDave View Post

This is why if you dump factory boxes you keep the lot #'s with them. Lesson learned.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Metalbender

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone have any insight as to how this recall came about? Winchester's own quality control or real failures in the field? Don't have any personally, seemed overpriced around here.