Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
1slow01Z71

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
96/22 Modifications

I just picked up a 96/22 to put an integrally suppressed barrel on for quiet critter annihilation and the trigger is terrible. I didn't realize the trigger was different than the 10/22s. It has a ton of creep and breaks like a wet noodle. Ive installed a few of the kidd drop in trigger kits that are absolutely awesome but they don't make a kit for the 96. Is there anything that can be done for it?

Also Kidd doesn't offer a barrel for the 96s so I need to look somewhere else that makes a good 16" dual extractor barrel that is threaded so I can use my Sparrow until the integral barrel is released. I guess any of the 77/22 barrels will work but I haven't had much luck finding what Im wanting. Could I just get a 10/22 barrel and a dremel to cut the second extractor slot?

I was hoping to use the extra Hogue stock I have but the inlet isn't going to work. I believe with a lot of dremel work I can "adjust" it to work for the 96/22 but is there a ready made 96/22 stock out there?

When I picked it up from the FFL

Differences in the stock inlet

The action

The lever feels a bit sloppy, is this normal or is this thing worn out?

Im beginning to see the 96 is a bit of a black sheep in the ruger family and will require quite a few custom parts. Im not against modifying aftermarket parts for it, but just want to make sure there isn't something ready made before I go hacking away at various pieces. I definitely need to figure out how to get the Hogue stock on as all my barrel option are pretty much bull barrels and I don't want to open up the barrel channel int eh factory stock. Id like to leave as much factory stuff alone as possible.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
To my knowledge there are NO replacement stocks available for the Ruger 96 rifles. I looked for more'n a year before finding a 'beater' 96/22 stock on eBay. I had two 96/22's but didn't want to sacrifice a decent factory stock. After finding the beater I did extensive modification (adding & removing wood, changing profile, etc.) to it, then afterwards painted it since a 'clear' finish wouldn't work with all the changes. My aim was to make a light, handy, walking-in-the-woods rifle.

Had Bo Clerke of Raton, NM contour one of his 10/22 barrels in 17HM2 to sporter taper, & had just what I wanted. Also kept the original 96/22 LR barrel & had another 10/22 barrel re-lined with 1:20 twist & chambered for 22Short so I have a 'switch-barrel' rifle, tho admittedly it takes more'n a minute to switch .

At least one RFC member has used a modified 10/22 stock by cutting off most of the pistol grip & then 'grooving' the stock to accept the lever.

The barrel tenon dimensions for the 10/22 and the 96/22 are identical so virtually any 10/22 barrel will work in the 96 but you'll hafta cut the extra extractor slot; a dremel works well but ya gotta be careful. Green Mountain has .920" barrels for the 10/22 in both 16" & 18" lengths, blue or stainless, fluted & non-fluted. They'll also thread the muzzles for an additional charge ($65 I think). GM while probably not in the same league as Lilja or one of the better premium barrel makers, is well thought of and produces pretty good quality barrels. I have a couple of 20" fluted stainless barrels for my 77/22, one each in 22LR & 17HM2, & they're real shooters.

I did have to bed the action of my 96, particularly in the area of the lever hinge. I found that just cycling the lever caused some movement of the receiver/barrel, & bedding eliminated that.

After I completed modifying the 96/22 stock I had it duplicated in a piece of nice claro walnut & have a pretty nice 'sporter' now. I also took one of the factory 96/22 stocks & did some modification which included enlarging the barrel channel to accept a .920" barrel. My 'heavy' barrels include a Whistle Pig lightweight, ported 17HM2 barrel and a 17HS barrel that has been reamed to 17HM2. The Whistle Pig barrel has been 'retired' & the HS barrel shortened to 16.25" for weight reasons.

Mod'd stock with Whistle Pig barrel

Original 96 stock with Clerk barrel installed

Beater stock before any mods

Some mod work done but not complete

Ready for paint

Ready for the range

Claro stock 'duped' from first mod'd stock

Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
1slow01Z71

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The main thing I'm looking for is a stock with better cheek weld and not so high maintenance. I think the hogue with a stock pack will accomplish that. Wouldn't happen to have a link to the guy who modded a 10/22 stock? I think I'll go the 10/22 barrel with dremel mod as it will allow me to use the kidd ultra lightweight I want. Theyre alsolical to me so maybe I can talk Tony into looking at the trigger. Has anyone been able to mod the 96 trigger? Ive been spoiled by my kidd, timney, huber and geissele triggers I guess. Your stocks look very nice and I may have to do that if the hogue route doesnt work out. I just dislike wood stocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I'll hafta do a search & see if I can find the info on the 10/22 stock.

An RFC member Todd Toenges (user name ttshooter or TTShooter) does a great job on improving the 96/22 trigger. Think he charges around $75. He did mine & they're just over 2lbs with no creep or overtravel.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 AM
1slow01Z71

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ill have to look him up and see if he will do my trigger. You wouldn't happen to know if Claro has your stock profile on file? I like how that turned out, would be perfect for my use with a rubber texture sprayed on it.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
You can contact Todd at - [email protected] - he still posts occasionally on RFC but stays pretty busy.

Claude Gatewood was just starting his business in making stocks when he duplicated my modified stock in claro walnut. I don't know if he kept a 'pattern' but I told him it was OK with me. Think he also stays pretty busy nowadays. You can visit his website at - claudegatewood.com - for information & contact.

Good luck on your project...
Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
WileyG
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
FWIW.........the extra slot in the 96/22 barrel is not for an additional extractor. The Ruger parts breakdown lists it as a "Cartridge Support". I put a threaded TacSol 10/22 barrel on my 96 and cut the extra slot with my Dremel tool.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Umbrarian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cut the slot with a hand file. It is easy since the TACSOL BBL is mostly AL.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Jimbo41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 View Post
Ill have to look him up and see if he will do my trigger. You wouldn't happen to know if Claro has your stock profile on file? I like how that turned out, would be perfect for my use with a rubber texture sprayed on it.
For me getting the 96/22 was like a dog catching the car. I did add a threaded barrel, but otherwise haven't done much to it in spite of the issues with the stock and trigger. I'm now looking at a 96/17, but will probably pass.

Tried to add some Tech sites and learned that the receiver is drilled differently than the 10/22.

The BX25 magazines do work well, but or course the JX1 is the correct 10 round mag.

I have read that modifications to make a 10/22 Mag stock work are not too bad, but I see that you don't want wood.

Good luck
Jim
Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 AM
parshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Also Kidd doesn't offer a barrel for the 96s so I need to look somewhere else that makes a good 16" dual extractor barrel that is threaded so I can use my Sparrow until the integral barrel is released.
Thread the one you've got?

This is a stock barrel that was back-bored, re-crowned, and had an adapter installed.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:12 AM
trob

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Brownells was selling factory replacement stocks. If you wanted to buy one to mod.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Jimbo41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
Brownells was selling factory replacement stocks. If you wanted to buy one to mod.

Just went to their site and see no such animal, if you do would you pls provide a part number of link to it. Thanks
Jim
Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Just one of the Rugers I wish was still in the current line up.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:21 PM
parshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I just picked up a 96/22 to put an integrally suppressed barrel on for quiet critter annihilation...
Any progress with this project?

Also, does anyone know if there are scope-base options available? Or must we just use the one supplied by Ruger?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Maximus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
Any progress with this project?

Also, does anyone know if there are scope-base options available? Or must we just use the one supplied by Ruger?
Yes, it's weaver tip-off scope base #To-11 midway has them for $8.49