Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why the run on 10/22's?

Never thought I would see the day that a 10/22 was hard to find. Whats the deal?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well, that my friend is the question of 2013!!!

A combination of, Christmas, an insane criminal in Connecticut, idiots in Albany, NY and Washington DC.

People are afraid that there will be no 10/22 in the future.

Remember the AWB of 1994 brought to you by Slick Willy Clinton et al?

Here we are again...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Snyiper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I tend to think that the above incidents cited as well as being one of the most recognized semi auto 22's helps as well. I think anything semiauto is being scarfed up I think it is just the least expensive and the last thing on the shelves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM
GeorgeS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's just a general, mindless panic.

It will pass, then all these idiots who paid $400 for a used 10-22 will be poting them for sale and wondering why their guns aren't worth what they paid for them.

George
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Xsail
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not mindless at all. If you think you may someday need a gun, and you can't find or afford an AR, what are you going to buy? Pretty much anything you can. What we're seeing is a natual American reaction to even speaking of gun bans or limitations. I'm glad to see millions are finally waking up.....O.L.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
"It's just a general, mindless panic."

"Not mindless at all"

I go with the Mindless diagnosis...

During the primer panic of the early 90's (which had absolutely no basis in truth and the ammunition companies came out and said so.... {the worry was that some how a rumor got started that the ammunition companies were going to start producing ammunition and primers where the primers would be no good after one year... CCI as well as others immediately came out and said that this was not possible})... this did not stop the panic, which like many panics just kind of fizzled after people went back to their reality shows.

In the mean time I met folks who had bought several thousand primers and had never reloaded in their life, and foolish me was very low on primers just to work up hunting loads and to hunt with... never again!

The really bad part about this is the price of primers did not return to the pre-panic lows.

Jerry
Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Xsail
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, but it's good for them to wake up now than never wake up at all. We've been "set" for a long time and just sitting back watching the show. The down side is we're having trouble finding ammo (and guns) for those new to the game for education and training purposes. Our ace in the hole has been brass. Got individuals and gun shops begging me for brass. I tell them I won't sell it to them but will "trade" for something I need. If they don't have it, they ain't getting my brass. I don't know about elsewhere but we're seeing targeted gun thefts on the rise so take extra precautions.........O.L.

Last edited by Passinby; 02-09-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Political post quoted
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
GeorgeS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The police here are reporting an increase in gun thefts, as well. With $200 10-22s selling for $400, $400 WASR AKs selling for $1000, and $700 AR-15s selling for $1600, it doesn't surprise me.

George
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Got this a few days ago...

Doug Ross has several important info updates about the status of the gun industry currently, followed by an inventory update. We traveled to Texas for Industry meetings concerning the shortages, here's what we were told.
Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.
RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.
FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out!
Armalite: Maxed out.
DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.
COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.
LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.
Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.
AMMO: Every caliber is now allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible with 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by law enforcement, and civilians are third in line.
MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.
RELOADERS... ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you posted.
Bow Owens says they didn’t know when they’d be getting anything back in stock, from magazines to rifles to pistols. Manufacturers were running full-bore, but couldn’t come close to keeping up with market demand. It wasn’t just the AR-15s, the AK-pattern rifles, the M1As, and the FALs that were sold out. It really hit me when I realized that the World War-era M1 Garands, M1 carbines, and Enfield .303s were gone, along with every last shell. Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants -- of which every gun store always seems to have 10-20 -- were gone. So was their ammo. Only a dust free space marked their passing. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
c201982

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Takedowns are listed on Armslist in the Knoxville, TN area for $625 to $675 for the black/stainless model. BNIB standards are listed $325 to $350. Looking around various stores I haven't seen any 10/22 or any Ruger .22 pistols. SKS prices run around $500 and ARs going $1600 to $2500 depending on maker.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Chard
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The perfect storm. Manufactuers scale down at the end of the year for tax purposes. Christmas normally takes inventory levels down but this year was different.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Bullseye22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Perfect Storm and Imperfect politics. I don't think that the politicians who are behind gun control legislation on National and State levels realize what they have unleashed. The threat of a gun ban resulted in just the opposite effect. It has placed more guns in American hands. More citizens now have a stake in making sure gun bans are not implemented. They voted with their purchases.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM
capnhk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Email note - Brownells on shortages

I received the following message from Brownells regarding the Shot Show and shortages, etc. This is just part of their message but is FYI...

"The Show certainly was abuzz with one thing: our entire industry has been hit by an incredibly high volume of orders lately. "Unprecedented" is a word we’ve used a lot. You've probably seen more "Backorder" and "Out of stock" notices on brownells.com than you've ever seen before. As we commented in December's WebBench, this is an industry-wide problem, and we're working hard to get a handle on it.

Yeah, we’re just out of some things – but the vast majority of the 75,000 items we sell are IN STOCK and ready to go. At present, we do have roughly 800 items that we have put on a "No Backorder" status. It's interesting that these are nearly entirely comprised of magazines, ammunition and rifle parts. Most of the rifle parts in this group are items produced by firearms manufacturers. The conflict for the factories is that ALL of their production is going towards guns, thus the supply of parts and components from brand manufacturers is really, really slim. We’re working with our suppliers to get as much inventory as possible, and we’ve added a second shift to the warehouse to get your orders to you as fast as inventory comes in.

This situation has put a huge strain on the whole gang here, so you may find it’s taking a couple extra days for our Customer Service folks to respond or if you’re having a tough time getting through on the 800 line, please be patient. We WILL respond to you. Right now, our biggest problem is getting inventory in house - the factories have been wiped out too. We know you rely on us, and we truly appreciate that. Breaks my heart we can't do better for you. We've just been slammed - but we are not raising prices except when changed by the factory. Frankly we're as frustrated as you all are. Please bear with us as we work though this – because we are gaining lots of ground daily – and the factories are working hard to catch up, too. All-in-all, getting better daily! "
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM
ScottM1962
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The really bad part about this is the price of primers did not return to the pre-panic lows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS View Post
As supplies increase, prices will come down.
Prices will come down, but they will never be as low as they were pre-Sandy Hook.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 AM
InfamousJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye22 View Post
Perfect Storm and Imperfect politics. I don't think that the politicians who are behind gun control legislation on National and State levels realize what they have unleashed. The threat of a gun ban resulted in just the opposite effect. It has placed more guns in American hands. More citizens now have a stake in making sure gun bans are not implemented. They voted with their purchases.
Now if everyone who's made a purchase in the last 60 days would also write their congressmen along with the rest of us, perhaps protecting our rights will have more muscle behind it...
Closed Thread