Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Darrel in Minn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Difference in Barrels

What is the difference between the type 1 and type 2 barrels for collectible Barrels? I was looking on Ed's page and was wondering on this. I went to a sale yesterday and passed up a 17/222 10" Octagon barrel because I thought it was too much. I might have been wrong. It had a snap on fore end grip and a cheap scope on it. The winning bid was $250. I believe the guy would have gone higher too. I did end up with the 17/222 RCBS dies and 6.5 mm TCU dies. Will be selling these now that I didn't get any of these barrels. The dies sold first.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The snap on fore ends were only on the earliest barrels and I do not recall the 17/222 ever being offered as a factory caliber although there were many wildcats offered.

When I bought my first Contender in 1976 all barrels were octagon either in 8 3/4" or 10" but they had already made the move to screw on fore ends.

Just my opinion but if it was not a factory chambering it probably has little collector value as collector value usually only applies to factory barrels unless it was done by someone very famous in the few big name gun smiths of the time like J.D. Jones or Bain & Davis with their .357/44 conversions and their very early carbine conversions. B & D might have been the first to offer a rifle version.

I do not claim to know everything (or anything for that matter!)about collecting T/C Contenders and these statements are based on how MOST collector thinking goes on most other guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Darrel in Minn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Squirel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The older contenders frames are type 1 the newer G2 frames are type 2. The newer G2 frames will work with either barrel but the older contender frames will only work with type 1 barrels.