Winchester and Browning 52 Re-issue database - Page 14 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Pretty amazing rifles, these Winchester 52B re-issues. I took out the lawyer pin and I am a lawyer myself. I think my trigger is about 3 pounds and that is the minimum for a lot of the competitions. I have owned rifles with triggers in the low ounces, and in all honesty, it does not make that much of a difference in my experience. You can learn to shoot well with triggers on the 1.5 to 3.0 pound class, if they are crisp and predictable. I have written some on this in the 50 yard bench rest with iron sight section here on RFC.

I have probably shot over 50,000 five shot groups with rifles in my life time. Probably over 250 25 record bull IR50/50 targets. I have a total of three bragging groups pinned up to the cork board above my desk. They were shot with iron sights during the RFC 50 yard BR matches. The best is 0.10", the next is 0.13" and the last is 0.16" and I guess I may have a few more up North, but the laws of statistics are such, you would expect some of this with enough shots taken. Can I do this constantly, Hell no. I wish I could. I have never even shot a perfect score on an IR 50/50 target. The rifles used for my groups were, in order, a Winchester 52C, a Savage/Anschutz 64 and a Remington 40X, all with excellent sights.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:39 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Pretty amazing rifles, these Winchester 52B re-issues. I took out the lawyer pin and I am a lawyer myself. I think my trigger is about 3 pounds and that is the minimum for a lot of the competitions. I have owned rifles with triggers in the low ounces, and in all honesty, it does not make that much of a difference in my experience. You can learn to shoot well with triggers on the 1.5 to 3.0 pound class, if they are crisp and predictable. I have written some on this in the 50 yard bench rest with iron sight section here on RFC.

I have probably shot over 50,000 five shot groups with rifles in my life time. Probably over 250 25 record bull IR50/50 targets. I have a total of three bragging groups pinned up to the cork board above my desk. They were shot with iron sights during the RFC 50 yard BR matches. The best is 0.10", the next is 0.13" and the last is 0.16" and I guess I may have a few more up North, but the laws of statistics are such, you would expect some of this with enough shots taken. Can I do this constantly, Hell no. I wish I could. I have never even shot a perfect score on an IR 50/50 target. The rifles used for my groups were, in order, a Winchester 52C, a Savage/Anschutz 64 and a Remington 40X, all with excellent sights.
And that's the question to ask about these light sporting rifles - are they going to be consistent from group to group, day to day, week to week. I too have gotten some really good groups out my Browning and Winchester 52 rifles. There are days when my best one may shoot with any gun I have. But there are days when it doesn't do so well....they seem to be pretty temperamental as compared to the more dedicated target guns. That pencil barrel is probably only part of the issue. But when things are right, some of these guns do amazingly well.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Consistency & barrels

I have not found much, if any, relationship between the length or thickness of a barrel and the consistency of the shooting day to day. A thin barrel will heat up faster, mostly a problem with centerfire rifles. Harmonics may be greater, but the harmonics are usually consistent. My thin barrel Winchester 52B & the very long and thin barrel CZ Ultra Lux shoot well and if they don't, it is me doing poorly. Having said that I will also say that the heavy barreled Anschutz 1413 Super Match I used to own did not shoot any better than the lighter Savage/Anschutz 64, and the S/A was more consistent, so I sold the Super Match. And my standard barreled Remington 40X is more accurate than the heavy barreled one I used to own.

I think consistency of the rifle, not counting ammo issues, has to do mostly with the way in which we hold it and pull the trigger and some rifles are forgiving of what we do, and others are not, picking up and magnifying any of our inconsistencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You make some good points. Come to think of it, some of my most consistent and accurate rifles are several CZ 452 variants....including the UL. Long thin barrel indeed.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Dave K

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just brought home Winchester 52R ser. no. 10NR802660. Satin finish, screw under forearm.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:19 PM
birddog541

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
hey guys I have Winchester BS 2721,utah centennial 100ut0679 curly maple 10np800104,browning,03092nz496 thanks.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the update, birddog541, and welcome to the Winchester 52 side of RFC.
You have a nice variety in 52Rs there.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM
260remguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixonrt66 View Post
Hello All!

I was looking back at all of the threads having to do with questions we have all posed regarding the manufacture, serial number sequence, finish and barrel variations and different models of the 52 re-issue rifles. I though that once and for all we could begin to enter the known data that we have by starting a poll that answers each of these five questions about the re-issue rifles that we all own. It may serve to give us a better understanding of the time frame for the various serial number types as well as answering a few other questions. The five questions I would like to ask for those of us who own re-issue 52 rifles are:

1. Is your rifle a Winchester or Browning marked rifle?
2. What is your rifle's serial number?
3. Does your rifle have a glossy or satin finished stock?
4. Which variants do you have? (ie: pencil barrel, heavy barrel, Fajen stock, Utah Centennial, other ?)
5. When did you purchase your rifle and was the rifle new or used?

Please submit your data if you own one or more 52 Re-issue rifles so that we can begin putting this database together.

Many Thanks!

Kix
Still have this one:

1. Winchester
2. 100UT400
3. Satin
4. Utah Centennial
5. New, Don't have the date handy

No longer have this one:

1. Browning
2. 01543NZ496
3. ??
4. ??
5. New, Don't have the date handy

Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 PM
4951tomm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning 52R

1. Browning
2. 01747NZ496
3. Satin
4. Pencil, OEM stock
5. NOS in 2012
Old 07-20-2014, 05:13 PM
bn12gg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning M52

Serial # 02532NZ496 Browning
Stock - satin
Barrel - hooded sporter, pencil I guess
Preowned -- I purchased 4/19/14

Says "sporter" on trigger guard base plate

Shot it for the first time this a.m. Dialed in the Leupold 3 x 9 - 40 @ 25 meters. After a half hour of minor adjustments, pretty much one ragged hole. Pristine, sweet shooting rimfire rifle. Wish I had had more time to take it out to longer distances-- maybe later this week.

David
Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Parks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fajen serial number

Winchester Fajen 10NP801000. I just saw this rifle and noted the serial number. I kind of thought it was unusual with all of the other serial numbers that have been posted.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
Winchester Fajen 10NP801000. I just saw this rifle and noted the serial number. I kind of thought it was unusual with all of the other serial numbers that have been posted.
Parks,

Welcome to RFC!

Is that a "10NP801000" or "10NP800100"? The Fajens were in the first of the 10NP80 family and have have all been under 400 so far. I would expect the SN 1000 in the 10NP series to be a standard Winchester pencil barrel.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 PM
cquist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Browning with a serial number 02815NZ495. It has a satin finish with a pencil barrel. Stock wise, I am not sure which it is since I have not seen the different variations.

I purchased the rifle around 1999 or so from a small gunshop in Oregon City, OR.

I had seen these come out and wanted one very bad, but price wise, they were out of my price range at anytime that I have seen them. I was driving by this store and my wife was with me. This gun was sitting in the original box on a cabinet in the shop. The pistols in the store were displayed by hanging them on wood dowels by their trigger guard. The dowels were angled slightly upward. This rifle must of sat below them opened in the box. Someone had dropped a pistol on the buttstock so that the stock now had a crescent shaped moon indent. I was looking at this mark and asked the guy behind the counter told it and he explained it to me. They were asking $325 because of this mark. I just stared at this gun. My wife asked if that was a good price. I told her that it was unbelievable and if I bought the gun, it would be a shooter anyway. I would rather not have the crescent moon mark, but could care less since I would shoot it as often as I could. She said then why don't you buy it, so I did. I have never looked back on this purchase and will be mine until I die. I have a Leupold 2-7x RF scope on it. I am now saving up for one of the 6.5-20x EFR scopes.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 PM
cquist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What are the diameters of the barrels which are found on the 52Rs? Specifically looking at the pencil barrel information, but any data would be helpful.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:27 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52R Barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquist View Post
What are the diameters of the barrels which are found on the 52Rs? Specifically looking at the pencil barrel information, but any data would be helpful.
Here is what I have written down:
Pencil Barrel:
Receiver: 0.96 Muzzle: 0.55

Zanders Heavy Barrel:
Receiver: 0.96 Muzzle: 0.675

By comparison, the numbers I have seen for original sporters were:
Receiver: 0.83 Muzzle: 0.555