Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
MYGOODWOOD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Black paint scratched and chipped from receiver

How do I touch up the receiver where a cheap Tasco scope scratched and chipped black paint off the top of the receiver? It should not have scratched so easily. I am definitely not pleased about this. Otherwise, I am enjoying the new Henry.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
horseman1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is chipped too. I put a scope on it to see if it was the sights that were messed up. It shot so far to the left with the scope or the sights, I sent it back for repair. They received it the other day according to UPS, so we'll see what they do. I'm interested in the answer you get as well.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Wrench Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If they're still offering their fabulous customer service (haven't heard they're not?),call or Email them and they'll send you a new cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
When clamping rimfire rings on the dovetail of a painted receiver cover you have to expect some damage to the paint. After all it is just paint. You can touch up things like that with any number of products depending on the severity of the cosmetic damage. They range from a sharpie marker for minor scratches to stripping and refinishing the cover. Many people on this forum have refinished their covers with excellent results, ranging from faux case colored to polished or even Duracoated. Sometimes we as owners have to take the blame for damage to our rifles and correct them ourselves. That being said, I'm sure Henry will replace the cover if you request it, but what about the next time you mount a scope on it? You wouldn't expect them to replace the butt stock if it got scratched getting out of the truck would you? I have three Henrys myself and two have Leupolds on them. I have no doubt that if I were to remove the rings my covers would be chipped also. I look at it as an opportunity to try it as a "Silver Sheriff". I am glad you are enjoying your Henry. They do make a fine rifle. Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll stick around because there are a lot of enthusiasts here that you can pick up something here or there from. I have certainly benefited from my participation in RFC in general and the Henry forum specifically.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 AM
JoeGun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can touch up things like that with any number of products depending on the severity of the cosmetic damage. They range from a sharpie marker for minor scratches to stripping and refinishing the cover.

VetsVette,

That's what I was a Thinking myself. I mean,, minor Scratch's,, and all this Whineing,, My Goodness...

How about that BirchWood Casey AlumaBlack? I've been thinking about getting some of that.

I mean Come On,, over time,, the Paint is Bound to start Chipping and Falling Off of the Aluminum. Well I better take that back for those that just Admire the Beauty of The Henry's,, and don't ever Actually use them, it may not!!!

Joe
Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
aka108
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I owned a Henry for about 8o years. Accurate and slickest action ever. The painted reciever did chip and scratch very easily. Only fix I could think of was to remove the reciever, roughen up the surface and paint with epoxy paint. Someone wanted to buy it so I sold it and never got to try the epoxy. The Marlin 39A I bought new in 1955 has been used and used but metal still looks near new. Guess that's the difference between blued steel and painted alloy.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
usmcchet9296
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to usmcchet9296 Send a message via MSN to usmcchet9296 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcchet9296
I missed drilled a hole when I was putting a tang sight on my Henry. It was my fault not Henrys. You put a scope on a rifle and it scraches the reciever its not Henrys fault. Reciever covers cost 35 bucks so its not a bank breaking cost. That being said like my Kimber Rimfire 1911 the paint does scratch easy so you need to be carefull with your henry.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Old Dutch
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No sympathy here. When we/you screw up, sometime we have to pay the price. I don't think Henry should have to bite the bullet on this one. I see no way not to scratch the paint during this operation. Just my opinion.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Hardcase
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at it this way: it's not going to rust!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Craigs1001

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
vetsvette, JoeGun, usmcchet9296, Old Dutch......EXCACTLY !!

I'm afraifd one day the "Henry good nature" is going to run out because of issues like this.

Go enjoy the gun and if the chip bothers you, buy some testers model paint and and touch it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsvette View Post
When clamping rimfire rings on the dovetail of a painted receiver cover you have to expect some damage to the paint. After all it is just paint. You can touch up things like that with any number of products depending on the severity of the cosmetic damage. They range from a sharpie marker for minor scratches to stripping and refinishing the cover. Many people on this forum have refinished their covers with excellent results, ranging from faux case colored to polished or even Duracoated. Sometimes we as owners have to take the blame for damage to our rifles and correct them ourselves. That being said, I'm sure Henry will replace the cover if you request it, but what about the next time you mount a scope on it? You wouldn't expect them to replace the butt stock if it got scratched getting out of the truck would you? I have three Henrys myself and two have Leupolds on them. I have no doubt that if I were to remove the rings my covers would be chipped also. I look at it as an opportunity to try it as a "Silver Sheriff". I am glad you are enjoying your Henry. They do make a fine rifle. Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll stick around because there are a lot of enthusiasts here that you can pick up something here or there from. I have certainly benefited from my participation in RFC in general and the Henry forum specifically.

Last edited by Craigs1001; 09-23-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Rick-F
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOODWOOD View Post
How do I touch up the receiver where a cheap Tasco scope scratched and chipped black paint off the top of the receiver? It should not have scratched so easily. I am definitely not pleased about this. Otherwise, I am enjoying the new Henry.

I just stripped ALL the black paint off. Now I'll never worry about a paint chip I caused again.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 PM
horseman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont know who you are directing all this whining to but just to be really clear for everyone:

I sent my gun in because it shoots to the left.
I didn't mention any receiver paint issues to Henry on the tag.
I put a scope on the gun to make sure it wasn't the iron sights at fault
I don't want Henry, you or the guberment to fix it for free
I don't need or want another receiver cover
I just wanted to know about paint.

The OP never said anything about getting anything for free either. The only difference between they and I is that I knew it would scratch it when I put a scope in and I thought (no big deal) you nice folks would be able to help me with the paint question. I see someone else asks the question already. I guess it turns into a big deal.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Craigs1001

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
gloss black paint pencil or Testers black model paint with do the trick. Thin the model paint a tad and put a couple coats on there and you'll never know it was chipped.

Now, I don't think anyone was directing anything at you. There just seems to be a rash of self inflicted problems that Henry agrees to fix and then it snowballs once posted. As an owner of several Henry rifles, I don't want to see the prices go up or the "bend over backwards" service for ligitimate complaints tighten up because of it.

You mention it shoots to the left...how much and at what distance is this happening at? Is it consistant with different ammo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman1 View Post
I dont know who you are directing all this whining to but just to be really clear for everyone:

I sent my gun in because it shoots to the left.
I didn't mention any receiver paint issues to Henry on the tag.
I put a scope on the gun to make sure it wasn't the iron sights at fault
I don't want Henry, you or the guberment to fix it for free
I don't need or want another receiver cover
I just wanted to know about paint.

The OP never said anything about getting anything for free either. The only difference between they and I is that I knew it would scratch it when I put a scope in and I thought (no big deal) you nice folks would be able to help me with the paint question. I see someone else asks the question already. I guess it turns into a big deal.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 PM
horseman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Craigs,

Its a H001TM. It shoots about 3 or so inches to the left at 25 yards. These are rough estimates on my part. Consistently, with different types of ammo. The groups were awesome though, so I really didn't want to send it back... Like one ragged hole. Plus, the gun has sentimental value to our family, but that's a long story.

The first thing I did was try to drift the rear sight. No way, it wouldn't go that far over. Then I put a bore sight in and could see why that wasn't going to work. Then I put a scope on it and the windage adjustment wouldn't go that far either to line up with the laser. Must be the barrel.

I emailed Henry and they sent me a UPS return sticker right away and I sent in the gun for repair. Don't anyone get after me, but they paid for the shipping to send it to them. Then, I saw this post about receiver paint and remembered the little chip of paint on the receiver and how it would be nice to be able to fix the paint up that the scope rings had chewed on a little bit.
Plus, I miss the gun and I think I want to do something involving it while I'm waiting. Heck, I bought more ammo too. Then the ruckus began about us wanting free things for my mistake and people like me being the cause of someones rifle prices going up . Bit of a stretch if you ask me.

I stopped at the mailbox on the way home tonight and there was a letter from Henry saying that they had received my rifle for repair and had determined that it indeed had a accuracy problem. That was nice of them.

I cant wait to get it back from them. I think it will become a Silver Sheriff in the end. Those look really great and I wont need any paint.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Horseman 1. I wasn't directing my comments (rant maybe?) towards you or any individual. It was just a general comment about my take on some things. I see you sent yours back to Henry after exhausting all possibilities, and it was obviously the right thing to do. If they received it yesterday you should be shooting your repaired rifle by the middle of next week. They DO have outstanding customer service and I've seen several posts speaking of their fast turn around. Enjoy your rifle and keep us posted on how it shoots.

Last edited by vetsvette; 09-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.