Question on a 10/22 Mannlicher Stock... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
OMCHamlin
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question on a 10/22 Mannlicher Stock...

OK, I have a 10/22 Mannlicher, and am thinking about a Green Mountain tapered sporter barrel that is 16" long on the idea that it should be more accurate then a stock barrel. Now, as most of you know, this would require shortening the mannlicher stock some 2 inches. I'm looking for ideas to "terminate" the stock, should I try to set the metal end cap back 2 inches? Should I just gracefully round the end of the stock off and not use any end metal? Perhaps a black tip of some sort? I'm thinking to not use any end metal that would touch the barrel for accuracy purposes, does that make the most sense? Throw your thoughts back at me on this please.
Thanks!
Chris
Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 PM
RangerM9
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
given the value of the stock itself i wouldn't modify it.

I would look for a different stock.

that's my two cents.....not that you can get much for two cents anymore.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 AM
OMCHamlin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerM9 View Post
given the value of the stock itself i wouldn't modify it.
That thought HAS crossed my mind, actually. As an alternative, I wonder if anyone makes a better grade barrel (slightly stiffer, no sights) that is the same length as the factory barrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM
cjsdad
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to cjsdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin View Post
That thought HAS crossed my mind, actually. As an alternative, I wonder if anyone makes a better grade barrel (slightly stiffer, no sights) that is the same length as the factory barrel?
There are several mambers that are accurizing factory Ruger barrels with some impressive results. You might look into one of those. From what I understand they only shorten the barrel .2 inches so it would be almost invisible as far as how it fits the stock.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby

This is a duplicated factory stock with the tapered bull in it. The black tip is just paint, but that is very hard to tell just from its appearance. It was taped off and a couple of layers of paint applied, giving it a smoother texture appearance and feel, much like a genuine ebony tip.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:51 PM
jbird714
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OMC,

I have a Mannlicher stocked rifle that nemohunter accurized. Set back and rechambered the barrel, reduced headspace, etc. on the bolt and a trigger job. Only had to remove a small amount of the front end of the stock to match the end cap to the slightly shorter barrel.

This is the rifle before I set the end of the stock back to match the barrel. As you can see, not much of a difference in length and only took about an hour of careful work with my dremel and a sanding drum to fix.

This is the muzzle after the stock has been shortened. Still may go a little shorter, doing too much shooting now to bother with it for a while.

The barrel work was well worth it IMO. Combined with the bolt and trigger work it has made a huge difference in groups and overall consistancy. Here are a couple of groups, I'm still not done tuning ( bedding, etc.).
Federal Gold Medal 50 yds
Wolf MT 50yds

Jay

Last edited by jbird714; 09-29-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:16 AM
OMCHamlin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, NOW you've shown me something! That's a group my MRS. would be satisified with, I think. (This whole build is at HER request, by the way....). Who does that here at RFC? (What's the size of that Wolf group, roughly?)

Thanks!
Chris
Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 AM
slowhanddd

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
For the barrel work give Nemo a shout(PM).Also Skeeterred27 does fine work.I've seen Nemo's work and it's great.Slow
Old 09-30-2007, 12:18 PM
jbird714
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin View Post
OK, NOW you've shown me something! That's a group my MRS. would be satisified with, I think. (This whole build is at HER request, by the way....). Who does that here at RFC? (What's the size of that Wolf group, roughly?)

Thanks!
Chris
I can't remember the exact size of that group. It was one of the first I shot after the rifle was reworked. The circle around the bull on that target spot is 1" I think, so the group looks to be about 3/8" - 1/2"? Like slowhand said, nemohunter does barrel, bolt and trigger work ( he did my rifle), also skeeter27red and Randy at CPC ( one of the sponsors). All have great reputations, I'm a little biased towards nemohunter given the results with my rifle. Take a look through the Superstock forum and you'll see several more rifles with accurized barrels, bolts, etc. I would definitely keep the stock as is and rework the factory barrel, JMO. Good luck with the build and POST PICS!

Jay
Old 09-30-2007, 10:54 PM
gravy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passinby View Post

This is a duplicated factory stock with the tapered bull in it. The black tip is just paint, but that is very hard to tell just from its appearance. It was taped off and a couple of layers of paint applied, giving it a smoother texture appearance and feel, much like a genuine ebony tip.
i like your rifle passinby
Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 PM
dbagnola

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hi im thinking of installing a running bore target barrel in my Mannlicher stocked 10/22 my stock barrel is 18 1/2 inches and the running bore barrel is 22 inches . tell me what you think
Old 01-06-2009, 11:19 PM
woody1981

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbagnola View Post
hi im thinking of installing a running bore target barrel in my Mannlicher stocked 10/22 my stock barrel is 18 1/2 inches and the running bore barrel is 22 inches . tell me what you think
I think that would look GREAT! I say go for it. I love the muzzleweighted barrels. I have always thought the 22" ones were a little long... but I bet in a manni that would look perfect.

We will expect pictures of course.

- Woody