Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 AM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
new barrel or new gun?

Hey y'all, I have a question for all you 10/22 modifiers. I own a 10/22 with a tapco t6 stock, but I am getting 3" at 50yds. I have gotten an itch to have smaller groups. I would like something that shoots fairly cheep ammo into at least a 1" bull at 50 yds. Is that accuracy attainable by any of green mountains bull or sporter barrels? Or should I buy a different gun? My friend has a marlin model 60 that shoots that well with Remington GB, and I am having a difficult time deciding if I should go with one of those or a new barrel.
I don't want to spend a fortune on a barrel. (<$120)
By cheap ammo I mean stuff that costs less than $25 a brick.
I am using a 3-9x scope.

Thx for helping me out!

Last edited by ilove22; 09-29-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Don Hanson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes, a GM barrel will get you there, or have your factory barrel reworked, a number of members here offer this service.
Acctually, any aftermarket barrel should get you sub 1" at 50.

Also don't forget the trigger pull, hard to get a decent group with a 5 lb+ pull, easily fixed with a drop-in hammer or DIY
Old 09-29-2008, 11:50 AM
skipm
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed that you are using a Tapco T-6 stock, have you checked to make sure that the stock is not putting pressure on the barrel anyplace? That is one of the most common factors that makes an inconsistent grouping from my understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 11:53 AM
skipm
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just looked (I too have a Tapco T-6) and the action on mine doesn't fit that great, almost like it needs to be bedded. If you still have the original stock you might be able to put the action back in it and see if it holds a group any better. Just a though, Skip
BTW, I have only mounted my Tapco so I can't say anything about the way it shoots yet.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Komitadjie

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Send a message via AIM to Komitadjie
I second the statement about the GM barrel (sporter or bull, they'll both shoot very well) and trigger. I'd personally look for a good used GM, they come up on the forums here a lot, and pick up a SwampF0x trigger kit. I've got one of those on mine, and it did a WONDERFUL job for very little cash.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Corelogik

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Corelogik Send a message via MSN to Corelogik Send a message via Yahoo to Corelogik Send a message via Skype™ to Corelogik
I'd start with an inspection of the rifle/stock first, like others have said. See if anything is applying pressure or too loose,.. Shoot it!

Get some good ammo.
Shoot it!

Then put in a hammer/trigger kit.
Shoot it!

Then get a new barrel.
Shoot it!

Basically shoot it with good ammo in between each step, the minute accuracy improves you will know better where the problem was,...

Steps are listed in order of cost from lowest to highest.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 AM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thx for the responses. My reciever is a very tight fit into the tapco. The barrel was touching the stock a little, so I sanded it out.