Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Cloud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning SemiAutos

I went looking for a Browning SemiAuto last year and got the Grade I, in the take-down model. I know that many years ago, there was a second semi-auto in the Browning line, called the BAR-22, with a long tubular magazine at the bottom.

I was wondering which rifle is mechanically better, the current take-down model or the discountinued tube-fed BAR-22?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:33 PM
fullchoke
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Browning .22

Cloud

I have no experience with the Bar-22, not sure I've ever seen one.

However, I have had the takedown for 40+ years. It's a Grade 1, Belgian made. It's as good today as it was the day I bought it. I have never seen a good reason to own any other semi-auto in .22 caliber.

This doesn't really answer your question,but in my opinion you have a fine rifle.

Also there is a reason they dis-continued the other model.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Shooter
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Shooter
I have a 22mag Browning BPR, the pump version. I wish it was a semi. The BAR is a very nice 22 semi. The extra weight makes it easier to shoot than the ATD.

My bonus this year provided some "gun funds" and I seriously considered the Browning ATD. I found new ones on the shelf for $375-$400. Belgiun guns started at $550 and went up. I didn't want one bad enough to spend that kind of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 06:46 PM
fullchoke
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shooter

Shooter, Have to agree the ATD isn't nearly as easy to shoot today as when I was younger. This will make you cry. I paid $72.95 for that rifle when I bought it new. I think I still have receipt around here. I know I still have the owners manual.

I saw a Belgian made the other day at my FLGD. Had a price tag of $700.00. And in my opinion it was rough. He trades a lot of guns, so his used gun prices are usually inflated.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Hairtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Shoreline of Erie before the Great Black Swamp was drained
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In the 1980's I purchased a pump version of the BAR-22 known as the BPR-22 Mine is in 22lr but the 22mag version is easier to find.
My BPR-22 shoots real well although it has been stuffed in the back corner of the safe for quite some time
Old 05-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Joe
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the BA-22 I picked up for about half of what they were going for new in the store and it is in immaculate condition. I got it for trade fodder on some future deal, but like it so much, I've decided to keep it. Makes a great lightweight alternative to my 597 HB and is much easier to carry around in the PD fields for a quick shot or two.

It likes CCI mini mags, both solids and HPs and I just got the Paco Kelly Accurizer to try. (haven't tried it yet tho)

It also shoots Velocitors really well.

Joe