Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2020 vs 1960 tech.

I'm still in awe of the engineers who made this stuff with slide-rules and pencils. Any schmuck can do it with computers, lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 11-28-2019, 11:36 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It is amazing what they accomplished in that era. Look at the SR-71.

Matt
Old 11-29-2019, 06:24 AM
Jinx D'jinn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In 1960 (I was 7) we, a family of 6, had ONE telephone, stuck on the WALL and don't you know that sucker had a semi-coiled handset cord that must have been 30 feet long (when you got all the knots out. If my sister was talking to a boyfriend that sucker would end up just being a ball) and still wasn't long enough. But at least it wasn't a party line. 1960 rural Tenn. my grandmother had a party line (She still used an outhouse but she did indeed have a telephone). I'm not sure how we got anything done under those conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 10:58 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
My all-time favorite airplane. I got to run my hand along the edges of one ~30 years ago at Edwards AFB.

I recently bought a nice example of the type of watch issued to A-12 (SR-71 predecessor) pilots by the CIA. Similar to this one, worn by LtCol Frank Murray when he flew them...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bu...lane-ever-made
Old 11-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slide rulers and interpolation Next thing youll be pining for is an abacus and cuneiform tablets.

My cars better, my computers better, my appliances better, than anything i had in the 60 s, except im not
Old 11-29-2019, 11:27 AM
farrlarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
My cars better, my computers better, my appliances better, than anything i had in the 60 s:

If you cared for them reasonably, most of those things from the 60s would still be running fine today. What do you think will be the case for today's stuff?

"A man has to know his limitations."
Old 11-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Slide rulers and interpolation Next thing youll be pining for is an abacus and cuneiform tablets.
I have them. I love a man in cuneiform...

Old 11-29-2019, 12:03 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When did we lose our vestigial wings?
Old 11-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Jinx D'jinn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrlarr View Post
If you cared for them reasonably, most of those things from the 60s would still be running fine today. What do you think will be the case for today's stuff?
Good point...but.

Remember that those '60s cars had space to work on them (I remember sitting on the fender of my first Buick to be able to reach across the engine) and that they weren't full of proprietary connectors and software. And documentation was easy to get.

As a component level repair technician of comm gear I remember a very heated discussion with a Motorola rep about their going to board swapping instead of giving us what we needed to do the repair in the shop. Of course I was tilting at windmills but the same things apply, I think.

If a gadget is ultrasonically welded at the seams I can't get it open so I can't fix it, so it's disposable.

But, if one wants an ever growing economy then I can't be allowed to buy one gizmo and keep it operating flawlessly for 40 years by repairing as needed. (Of course excepting firearms. I suspect there's a 1911 out there with a double digit s/n that's been operating perfectly for over 100 years).

Where I come from we got a saying, "this is like this because that is like that". I suspect if I want to keep getting my SS payments and others want to keep getting regular pay raises we will need an ever expanding economy. To have an ever expanding economy we all have to average buying a new car every 3 years, buying a new fridge every five years, et al, etc. What kind of economy would we have if, when I went off to the Army, my Dad gave me a watch that close to fifty years later I was still wearing (I know, there's absolutely somebody out there that has been wearing a watch they inherited from their father 50 years ago but most of us have a drawer somewhere containing a bunch of watches).

Now personally I have enough resources to stop having my personal economy need to be constantly growing. As a matter of fact I'm trying to figure out how to die with a minimum amount of STUFF left over. And yet, I keep buying more stuff. (Uh Oh, I'm starting to sound like George Carlin) But I'm willing to stipulate that a lot of folks wouldn't like that so maybe we need a different solution.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
In 1960 a computer was gigantic, weighed hundreds of pounds or even tons and cost millions of dollars. Inputs were done by geniuses of science and mathematics, not the average bozo off the street. Very few computers existed. Now they're available inexpensively to most people and easy to use. You can buy a hard drive with more storage capacity than all of the computers in existance in 1960 for less than $200.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:22 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Millions of people, including myself, would be long dead now if not for the advances made in medicine since 1960.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Millions of people, including myself, would be long dead now if not for the advances made in medicine since 1960.
Me and the wife too.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx D'jinn View Post
As a component level repair technician of comm gear I remember a very heated discussion with a Motorola rep about their going to board swapping instead of giving us what we needed to do the repair in the shop. Of course I was tilting at windmills but the same things apply, I think.
You and my Dad would probably have gotten along well. He was an electronics engineer at Hughes Aircraft for 42 years. He fixed everything around the house that he could, and cursed newer products where he couldn't replace individual components.

Quote:
....if, when I went off to the Army, my Dad gave me a watch that close to fifty years later I was still wearing (I know, there's absolutely somebody out there that has been wearing a watch they inherited from their father 50 years ago but most of us have a drawer somewhere containing a bunch of watches).
The type of watch I show above (Bulova Accutron 214) is one of relatively few 50-60 year old transistorized, mass-marketed consumer devices still in wide, everyday use. Most surviving/working examples have their original components (Transistor, resistor, capacitor and two coils), which can be easily replaced if need be.

Yes, watches - especially ones that someone paid a lot for - are things that many folks toss into a drawer when they break, probably with the thought "I'll have to get that fixed someday."
Old 11-29-2019, 01:40 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would probably be a widower today if not for the advances made in medical science since 1960. to science.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:32 PM
RichJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post

Matt
Most amazing aircraft, there’s one in Kalamazoo’s Air Zoo. I go there periodically just to see and touch it. Had a couple models of it hanging from the ceiling in my office, would tell people it travels at better than Mach 3. No reaction, then I’d say as fast as a 30.06 bullet and unlike the bullet it just keeps going.

Rich

Me Too, modern medicine........heart valve and synthetic aorta ( radiator hose )
Something to give thanks for