Rimfire guy writes a noir novel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:50 PM
fredcdobbs
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Rimfire guy writes a noir novel

Hi folks.
Just letting you know that I wrote a novel. A murder mystery, sort of a modern noir story.
It's out for free on Kindle Unlimited or for purchase on regular Kindle. The paperback book comes out December 3, now only preorder. It just came out and has three five star reviews. It will be interesting to see where that goes.
As a shooter I did get the guns right. Something I don't always read in books.
Anyway. Just doing some bootstrap marketing. If it sounds like something interesting, you can read a sample on Amazon books, also the third chapter for free on the website I created for the book
www.jamespatric.com
I'm donating the first several hundred dollars of profits. (I make $5 a book) to my Kiwanis club that supports children's charities in my town. I guess at some point I'll stop that but for now I just want to get the book out there and encourage people to read it.
Expecting to even get your publishing costs back on a self published book is a slim proposition. I wrote it for a personal challenge and for fun.
The name of the book is "What You Wish For."

Last edited by fredcdobbs; 11-22-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:25 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just downloaded it on my E reader
sounds like a great plot.
will report in a few days.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:27 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharold View Post
I just downloaded it on my E reader
sounds like a great plot.
will report in a few days.
Thanks, I'm always interested in people's honest feedback. Learn, learn, learn.
I hope you enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 03:27 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ok, I finished your book at 0ark thirty last night.
I have been reading books on Kindle Unlimited for a few years.
A Person can only read so many stories taking place in the Florida Keys, there must be seven or eight authors that base their books there.
I found your book to be one of the best plots and with unique characters I have read.
story plot so original, his interaction with his daughter was beautiful.
every time I thought I had it figured out, along came a twist I had not expected.
a five star read for sure.
my wife is reading it now and she had good comments before she got to chapter 3
thank you,
Old 11-25-2019, 04:14 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Jharold

J, Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Self publishing a book is like pushing a rock up hill with no top to the hill. It's all self promotion, whatever you can do. I would greatly appreciate a review on Amazon. It will help move that rock a little bit further, heh.
I found out so much doing this, it was really an education. I thought women might not like it, but then the vast majority of book buyers and readers are women and so far, men and women have liked it.
The reason for all the Armenian characters is that they are about forty percent or higher of Glendale's 200,000 population. If it's about Glendale, it should be accurate.
Except for a recent Story by Michael Connelly and the old classics by James M. Cain, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce, etc. Not many stories have been set in Glendale, (Although you see Glendale all the time filmed in TV stories). I thought I'd try to do that. It's a quiet low crime city adjacent to L.A. Except for the serial killers like Efrain Saldivar and the Hillside Stranglers. (Kenneth Bianchi tried to become a police officer in Glendale and got failed out early in the process.) Then there was the arsonist firefighter John Orr who worked for GFD.
I have a nephew who is in the LGBT crowd. A brilliant lawyer, he told me that I handled that subject well. That was good to hear. Can't sell books and go around offending people in the age of the internet.
Now I have to think up a second act. Hmmm
Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 PM
jbeachler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just ordered it on Amazon. It'll be a few weeks before it makes it to the top of my reading list.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:37 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Thanks

Thanks for the nice Amazon review. I really appreciate it.
Self publishing a book is a lot of work then you are just one of over a half million self published book that are generated each year.
If this thing gets any legs, it will have to start with some pleased readers posting reviews.
I long ago gave up on the financial aspects of it. You may as well lock your money in Thelma and Louise's trunk and watch it go over a cliff. There's a reason it's called "Vanity publishing).
By the way. If you are a constant reader, you may want to sign up on www.bookbub.com Pick your reading preferences and they will send you seven or eight suggestions daily for under $2.99
Some great authors and some clinkers as usual.I found Jonathan Moores Electric Noir series there.
Now I have to get working on a plot second book that's busting my brain.
Maybe someone would like the book for a Christmas present. (Always sell the soap.) heh.
My thanks again. j
Old 11-26-2019, 02:09 PM
TCBeard
Veteran Fire Fighter Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Just downloaded from Amazon...
Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well done Fred.....I look forward to reading it. I will be happy to send you notes on anything that needs editing if you like. I do this for another writer on another forum. His publisher is getting better but I still find a few items that need addressing. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to reading your book. 1917
Old 11-26-2019, 07:25 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Well done Fred.....I look forward to reading it. I will be happy to send you notes on anything that needs editing if you like. I do this for another writer on another forum. His publisher is getting better but I still find a few items that need addressing. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to reading your book. 1917
1917, Please send me your notes. I really do like constructive notes and do not resent help. You can't learn if you can't take on other people's observations.
My email address is in my profile.
I had one character named Lance, I changed the name from Bob to Lance at some point and apparently missed changing all of them with two "Bob" comments floating out there somewhere. heh.
Bookbaby charges $50 for one error correction and $3 for the others in one bunch. If I accumulate enough, I'll fix it.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:01 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is extremely difficult for an Author to read and correct their own work I am told. You have become too familiar with the story and will simply skip over something that isn't correct. This other fellow reviews his work ten times, his wife reviews it, his friends review it....and I still find problems and probably don't get them all either. They are usually simple things like the wrong tense, a word that isn't spelled properly. I don't rewrite any paragraphs but one time he did have something out of order and had to correct that. I wouldn't know where to begin in writing a book but I can at least read. My hat is off to you. The smartest people write books. 1917
Old 11-26-2019, 08:10 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
It is extremely difficult for an Author to read and correct their own work I am told. You have become too familiar with the story and will simply skip over something that isn't correct. This other fellow reviews his work ten times, his wife reviews it, his friends review it....and I still find problems and probably don't get them all either. They are usually simple things like the wrong tense, a word that isn't spelled properly. I don't rewrite any paragraphs but one time he did have something out of order and had to correct that. I wouldn't know where to begin in writing a book but I can at least read. My hat is off to you. The smartest people write books. 1917
I believe to proof something, you first have to read it for entertainment so you don't get hooked into the story, then read for content errors. That said, it didn't help me. My wife is a professional librarian, her friends are librarians who read constantly, some teachers and one author. All of them read it, made their comments and missed a bunch. I paid one proofer that a friend author used. She did good for what she did and missed half of it. I finally hired a guy who proofs for Disney and the Getty museum and while he did a great job, still missed a couple things. When you submit your manuscript to Bookbaby for conversion to book text, they send you a proof, several of them and you have to read your screed yet again. MORE MISTAKES!
If you figure the letters, punctuation and format in a 71,000 sort novel that extrapolates to a million million possibilities to screw up! Dang. No wonder I missed so many. Next time I'm going right to the professional proofer and saving myself the aggravation. heh
Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Book

Hi folks, I just want to express my thanks to those of you who have downloaded the book and read it.
It looks like Amazon is late with having the print version. Should have been out December 2 but now the end of the month. Grrr.
I'm still donating profits to my Kiwanis Club.
Happy Holidays.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just downloaded it. I'll submit error reports for any goofs you missed!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:51 AM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Just downloaded it. I'll submit error reports for any goofs you missed!
Thanks. I'll give you a head start. Page 1, substitute 8 ball Lodge for Lucky Lodge
And Page 183 and 241, substitute Lance for Bob.
It's a plague.
heh.