Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 PM
idahoron

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Setting up a CZ 527 varmint

I ordered a CZ 527 varmint with a threaded barrel in 17 HH. I started looking at what I needed to reload, WOW!
I find out that I can get a RCBS pilot for 17, but I had to order a Redding cutter. Then I needed a new funnel. I got some Hornady 20, and 25's. So I think I am ready there.
So I am thinking I got the hard part done. I want to put a Vortex Diamindback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope on it. So I start looking for a set of Leupold High mounts for the 527. Looks like they don't make them any more? I dig and dig some more and think I will go with a rail. DIP is the only rail I could find available. I found others but they were out. The DIP is aluminum and I am not a fan. I go back and try to find some Leupold High mounts in 30mm. Well I found a set and ordered them. I got the scope coming. I am thinking about a week and a half I will get it all together and maybe get out to shoot it in 2 weeks. Man scoping a CZ should not be that hard.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First I agree that scoping a CZ 527 shouldn't have to be that hard. That said it's way easier than it use to be "way back then". At least you've done the work and in a couple of weeks when you get to shoot it you will know it was worth it. There are three things about the 527's that people shy away from. First is the extended box magazine, it's not aesthetically pleasing. Then there's the safety. This shouldn't be an issue. It's no harder to learn to use a CZ 527 safety than to go from a Remington side safety to a Winchester side wing safety to an original Mauser over the top wing safety then to a Ruger tang safety. Just another variation on the same thing. And you have discovered the third, scope mounting. People go on line and read the problem stories and decide that they dont want the hassle. Your about to find out you've made the right choice though.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The dip rail is high quality aluminum . Not pop can quality. Youre almost there. And then it will alll be worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 09:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used a DIP Inc pic rail on one of my CZ 527's and it turned out well, in fact I sold that particular gun to a buddy of mine and he's been slaying coyotes with it since.

I've also used Leupold and Warne scope rings that are specific to the CZ 527's, I believe the CZ groove is 16mm, and I prefer these over using the rail because it keeps the scope mounted lower. The comb on the factory stocks of these CZ's is fairly low so you'll want to keep the scope about as low as you can get it without touching.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:55 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 527's & Warne Rings

I think my first CZ 527 came with rings . . . since then I have used Warne's rings for all my 527 as well as many of my 45x rimfires. Their steel rings come in 1" & 30mm - high & medium versions as well as a QD if that's a requirement. I've never had any problems with any Warne rings on any of my CZ's.

https://warnescopemounts.com/product-category/rings/cz/
Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used some DIP stuff on CZ 452's and a 455 but never there scope rail for the 527's. There products that I have used have been very good. Rings for the Tikka rifles with there 16.5mm dovetails are suppose to work for the CZ 527 16mm dovetail if you remove the recoil stop pin. Warne offers 30mm high ring for the Tikka with a .570" height. I've not done it myself so I cant say for sure but Tikka rings may turn out to be another option for the 527 rifle.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:34 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
With the newer 527's with the lowered bolt throw there's no reason to use anything but rings in my opinion and that's all I've used on all 11 that I've owned.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 PM
staggofdryvalley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hear ya on the setup for reloading , don't have a 17 but its the same deal for 204 ruger nothing fits .Same for maintenance / cleaning

as far as scope mounting I only use Talleys on my CZ's 45x or 527s they fit the gun and are purposely made for it not some 1/2"a"""s retro fit of an existing product . and I will happily grind a bolt handle before using a rail.

I have been considering a 30mm scope for 527 and am very disappointed in the day and age of multi axis CNC machines the crap for rings they want to sell to put $500-$1000 scope on a nice sporting rifle .
Old 11-10-2019, 12:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased one of the 17 Hornet Varmints when they showed up locally. It has a (20) 13 date stamp and had the lowered bolt handle. At the time I didn't even know CZ had modified the bolt handle. I'm not exactly unknown at our local CZ dealer and the clerk mentioned it as a selling point. Even though I ought to know better I straight away mounted one of the Redfeild/Leupold 6-18 power scopes on it. I used either CZ factory or Burris rings (probably Burris) as I wanted to shoot the rifle and I couldn't find any of the medium Warnes locally. Tried to reinstall the bolt and almost made it. Bolt hit the silly knurling on the objective. This bolt handle has been ground twice and re-blued once. First time to clear this scope in it's original mounts and again when I purchased the lower Warne mediums. I'm almost into the bolt lock hole on this bolt handle. Personally I'll take grinding over a rail as I prefer my scopes as low as possible, hence a preference for the Warne mediums. Grinding the bolt handle, reshaping the bottom metal and magazine, adjusting the trigger to eliminate the set feature and replacing the trigger pull weight spring and finally redoing the little dab of epoxy that CZ put in for bedding and actually centering the barrel in the channel are all expected when I buy a 527. Talley make better looking rings than Warne but there still to tall.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:28 AM
idahoron

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a tough time finding the Warne rings. I knew I probably would need tall and 30mm.I saw the ring I needed on the Warne web page but not on any sellers. Maybe I was not diligent enough looking but I didn't see a tall 30mm talley either.
I set my mind on the scope. I knew I wanted the Vortex diamopndback Tactical 6-20x50 FFP. I have that scope on my air rifle and it is a super nice scope.

The CZ527 was the only 17HH I considered. I have an American M1 in 223 and like that gun a lot.

I never thought for a moment that rings were going to be a problem. I figured either rings or a rail would work. But then I saw that the steel rail that CZ had was no longer available. I really didn't like the idea of the set screws going down to secure the rail. I might have been over thinking it.

Has anyone tried this rail on a 527? This was the one I was going to order.

http://www.egwguns.com/hd-rifle-scop...e-mount-0-moa/
Old 11-10-2019, 09:29 AM
idahoron

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am very nervous that the bolt will not clear the scope.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:44 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
If it doesn't clear, James Calhoon has Hunker mounts for the CZ and you can trade your bolt handle + cash for one that is re-profiled.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
I am very nervous that the bolt will not clear the scope.
idahoron sir I have a few CZ 527s in my collection...and I did have one of my rifles with the early style bolt that almost touched the scope Ocular so I bought a new bolt from CZusa store for $35 dollars and it took less than two minutes to change...but my rifle was an early model...all the newer ones will have the lower bolt.

Now for scope rings all my scopes are 1" tube so I have no experience with 30mm rings...I don't think your going to have a problem with getting some to work. I have plenty of experience trying to scope CZ rifles.

Do you have any big name guns stores like Sportmans, Bass Pro shop or Scheels where you can go and buy a set of rings from them...if the set of rings you ordered does not fit then run down there and take your rifle and scope and buy a set from them...you can pick and choose what brand and style they have and the price you want to pay and have them bore sight it while they are at it.

Look they have plenty of brands to play with and it's faster than playing the guessing game if this or that will work and look good. It might cost you a few more dollars...but it will be done and you won't have to eat or send back two or three sets of rings that did not make you happy...trust me that sticks. Been there done that.

CZ does have or did make a rail I bought one and it makes my scope sit two miles about the barrel...it lasted like five minutes and now it's collection dust in the safe.

Imgur is down right now but I will post pictures when is comes back on line.

Signalman
Old 11-10-2019, 11:17 AM
idahoron

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
idahoron sir I have a few CZ 527s in my collection...and I did have one of my rifles with the early style bolt that almost touched the scope Ocular so I bought a new bolt from CZusa store for $35 dollars and it took less than two minutes to change...but my rifle was an early model...all the newer ones will have the lower bolt.

Now for scope rings all my scopes are 1" tube so I have no experience with 30mm rings...I don't think your going to have a problem with getting some to work. I have plenty of experience trying to scope CZ rifles.

Do you have any big name guns stores like Sportmans, Bass Pro shop or Scheels where you can go and buy a set of rings from them...if the set of rings you ordered does not fit then run down there and take your rifle and scope and buy a set from them...you can pick and choose what brand and style they have and the price you want to pay and have them bore sight it while they are at it.

Look they have plenty of brands to play with and it's faster than playing the guessing game if this or that will work and look good. It might cost you a few more dollars...but it will be done and you won't have to eat or send back two or three sets of rings that did not make you happy...trust me that sticks. Been there done that.

CZ does have or did make a rail I bought one and it makes my scope sit two miles about the barrel...it lasted like five minutes and now it's collection dust in the safe.

Imgur is down right now but I will post pictures when is comes back on line.

Signalman
I called Sportsmans and they didn't have any rings for the CZ 527. I was really bummed out by the guy I talked to. He said they normally carry Warne but they were out at this time and that was the only rings they carried. Hopefully it sounds like the Leupold should work. I will see when they get here.
I am betting my rifle has been sitting for a while. I am not sure how old it is but it is new from Bud's. I am excited for this little cartridge.

I bought this gun to celebrate my new job. I worked in a feed mill for 35 years. I fell off a ladder and ended up having to change jobs. I am really enjoying the new job so the one gun I wanted the most was a 17HH.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is my CZ 527 Varmint 204 that I used to have. I used a DIP Inc rail with low 30mm rings (I think they were Weaver or Burris but I don't exactly recall) to mount the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 scope that I used on this rifle.

With any scope that has a 50mm objective you'll need high rings or you'll have to use a rail and low rings, but it'll still be a little high for the comb height of your stock and you find you have to lift your head up to see through the scope. Lifting my head up off the stock to get a full view through the ocular just doesn't cut it for me so I put an adjustable cheek piece on my stock and all was well.

Second pic is one of my 17 Hornets with a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 using Warne medium rings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1056.jpg (435.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 17 Hornet #2.jpg (423.6 KB, 12 views)