Stray from rimfire and regret it. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:26 PM
jackknife
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I strayed from 22's, and have finished up with 32 as a "second standard."

I found the 380 too snappy in a Beretta 84, and now have a Beretta 81 in 32ACP that is fabulous. I also have a Sauer & Sohn in 32ACP, and a Single Seven in 327Federal Magnum that can go all the way down to mouse-fart 32 Wadcutters if you just want to be gentle.
I've toyed with the idea of a .32 as a pocket size gun, like the little Key Tec. I really want to stay with the small pocket size gun for real world every day carry. And I've made a real commitment to everyday carry.

As attractive as the .32 may be, the .22 magnum in the NAA black widow, Charter Arms Pathfinder, Ruger LCR, and Smith and Wesson 351 all give me a small .22 magnum revolver in a convenient pocket size. The S&W 351 gives me 7 rounds on hand, and the NAA black widow can be had wth two cylinders for both .22mag and .22lr.

I think I'll just dotter off into old age with a small .22 magnum revolver in my pocket.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot almost all rimfire, but I wanted something with a little more power for carry. I settled on a J frame and a Taurus 856, both in .38 special. I'm only 37, but my shooting hand has begun to have the family arthritis, and full power 38 special is painful to shoot. So, as a compromise I carry full wadcutters.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:28 PM
jackknife

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laylow View Post
I shoot almost all rimfire, but I wanted something with a little more power for carry. I settled on a J frame and a Taurus 856, both in .38 special. I'm only 37, but my shooting hand has begun to have the family arthritis, and full power 38 special is painful to shoot. So, as a compromise I carry full wadcutters.
I'll tell ya now bud, from my experience, it doesn't get any better. The arthritis runs in my family as well, and I started having rouble in my 40's. Act now and sell the center fires, and use the $$ to get a few .22 mag revolvers. The recoil is hardly more noticeable than a .22lr, yet you get a way nastier round with more power and damage on the receiving end. Plus, the S&W 351 gives you 7 rounds to the .38's 5 rounds.

I wish I had done that years ago, and saved myself the hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
I'll tell ya now bud, from my experience, it doesn't get any better. The arthritis runs in my family as well, and I started having rouble in my 40's. Act now and sell the center fires, and use the $$ to get a few .22 mag revolvers. The recoil is hardly more noticeable than a .22lr, yet you get a way nastier round with more power and damage on the receiving end. Plus, the S&W 351 gives you 7 rounds to the .38's 5 rounds.

I wish I had done that years ago, and saved myself the hassle.
I've thought about it, but I really enjoy snubs, and there's only so many rimfire options. For now wadcutters are doing the trick, but you're right, I have noticed my arthritis getting worse over the years, so eventually I'll have to give in.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:07 PM
jackknife

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I've thought about it, but I really enjoy snubs, and there's only so many rimfire options. For now wadcutters are doing the trick, but you're right, I have noticed my arthritis getting worse over the years, so eventually I'll have to give in.
Oh...I don't know. If you want a little variety in cubbies, theres pretty much the same choices in the .22mag. Theres the afor mentioned S&W 351 with 7 rounds. If you want a change to the most modern snub, theres the Ruger LCR and the Ruger LCRx. You can get the hammerless snub, or with a little increase in size, get the LCRx that has a 3 inch barrel, but most imputably nice adjustable sights and an external hammer for deliberate single action shooting. Theres the Charter Arms Pathfinder with snub or 4 inch barrel and adjustable sights.

But the best for last, the North American Arms Black Widow. A full 2 inch snubbie, it can be had with both .22mag cylinder, and a .22lr cylinder for more economical practice and plinking. A good mate for the Black Widow would be the 4 inch barrel mini master in both .22mag and .22lr.

If you want real nostalgia, the NAA can be had with a top break in .22mag and .22lr, in either snub or 4 inch barrels now. Top breaks have always been a draw, shades of the far flung Britsh Empire!

Those should keep you busy shooting for the next decade or so!

I've been a very long time user of the North American revolvers, and they are top notch guns. But best of all, I can't hardly rack the slide on the Ruger Lap and after 50 rounds can hardly sign my name. But I can shoot the little NAA .22mags for 100 rounds with no problem at all, and no after aches and pains.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cute as the NAA's are, I just cant get a good hold on one......
Some time back we picked up the snub CA Pathfinder in 22LR as a similar counterpart to the S&W 38Spl Airweight. The abbreviated rubber grips on those is enough in the hand for good control and double action point and pull is for sure for us a certain plus.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Some time back we picked up the snub CA Pathfinder in 22LR as a similar counterpart to the S&W 38Spl Airweight. The abbreviated rubber grips on those is enough in the hand for good control and double action point and pull is for sure for us a certain plus.
I got a Pathfinder recently as well. I'm pretty surprised how nice the trigger is, especially compared to my Smith 437.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 PM
jackknife

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I got a Pathfinder recently as well. I'm pretty surprised how nice the trigger is, especially compared to my Smith 437.
Charter Arms has been a roller coaster ride form their start in 1964. They were great out of the gate, then got sold and had a bad chapter in the 1980's, then they got sold again or something about new management, and now they are very good again.

I remember when they first hit the market in the 60's, one of the gun magazines ( Guns and Ammo maybe???) did a head to head test with he Charter .38 undercover vs the S&W Chief's special that was its prime completion. The did all kinds of shooting, which was inconclusive as the little Charter held its own. Then they put them on a dry fire cycle machine to see which one would break first.

After 40,000 some cycles of the action, the trigger return spring on the Smith and Wesson broke. They were amazed at this but continued the test on the Charter just for yuks. At 50,000 cycles they stopped and disassembled the Charter. All they found was polishing on all the bearing surfaces of the action. No galling, no real wear, nothing broken. The writers were very open in their praise of the Charter Arms.

The Charter Arms makes a very rugged and reliable little revolver.

Last edited by jackknife; 11-19-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:11 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
I agreed with you until I got one of the folding grip models Gcrank.

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/accessories/ghg-m/

Makes it easy to shoot and folds up into a compact extremely safe package. Clips into my jean's pocket like a medium size folding knife.

Frank
Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 PM
jackknife

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
I agreed with you until I got one of the folding grip models Gcrank.

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/accessories/ghg-m/

Makes it easy to shoot and folds up into a compact extremely safe package. Clips into my jean's pocket like a medium size folding knife.

Frank
The big problem with the folding grips is, theres no way to get the gun into action quickly. Like fast enough to just pull from pocket and shoot. Having to unfold the darn thing like a pocket knife is insane in a true self defense situation.

The whole point behind a pocket gun is, being able to slip a hand into that pocket and have the gun in hand, ready to go.

The folding grip defeats the whole purpose of the guns small size. If you need morello hang onto, just put an over size grip on the gun, or use the old under cover cops trick of wrapping rubber bands around the grip. Works like a charm. I use thos big blue rubber bands that come on celery and asparagus. About three or 4 of them changers the whole grip dynamic to a more filling and grippy thing.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

< snippo >
Yeah, they are tough to hold, but I have a 22 Short that is Just. So. Cute. that I don't care.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I'm not a big fan of plastic guns, but----S&W did a great job with the Shield 380 Ez and they named it right. Everything about it is easy. The RIA Baby Rock is another 380 with mild recoil. It's basically a miniature 1911 and my favorite semi-auto handgun is a 1911.

I have arthritis in my wrist and it's done away with me shooting anything with hard recoil but neither of these pistols cause me any pain at all. I shoot both to the same point of aim and with the same accuracy.

A friend showed me his brand new Browning 380, another miniature 1911, last Saturday. It's very nice but I didn't get to shoot it.
I bought one of those 380EZ and is a favorite to shoot I like it a lot.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:26 PM
Slowalkintexan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of those

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Yeah, they are tough to hold, but I have a 22 Short that is Just. So. Cute. that I don't care.

....in 22 short,, and all my buds nd all the online experts tell me it isn’t worth. ‘’’cra’’’. To shoot someone with...
Funny thing, none of them have volunteered to let me shoot them with it to prove they know what they are talking about.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Quote:
You can find your self a beretta 380 with a tip up barrel and beat that arthritis and keep shooting a centerfire pistol.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I bought a Pathfinder target (4"barrel) a few months ago and I have a few thousand rounds through it. It has a nice trigger and is accurate. What more can you ask when it has had no failures of any kind?