Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 AM
D1kco

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 17WSM initial testing and thoughts

Finally got a bit of free time to see how my new Ruger 77/17 in 17WSM goes and to test some of the Federal Eagle 20gn ammo.

Initial impressions:
- well made firearm that feels like a centre fire.
- factory trigger was absolutely putrid, worst factory trigger Iíve ever experienced. Fortunately, my local gun shop worked it over for free and now itís super, virtually zero creep and about 800g on the scale.
- scope is Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 in #5 rings. The comb is a touch too low but workable. Canít go lower due to the bolt lift.
- bolt lift on first impression requires a little effort, to compress the heavier spring. Didnít notice it after a while.
- fore end is very round & quite narrow. Did the tikka trick for a pineapple.
- magazine release is not cool initially but Iím getting the hang of it now, push it up with my thumb and grab the mag at the same time.
- action felt a little rough at first, smoothed out heaps in 50 rounds and with a little grease in the right places.
- 100% reliable feed.
- 100% ignition out of 50 so far.

Was spewing this morning, last few days have been cool and still. Very gusty today however I persisted and was pleased with the results overall. This was at 7:30am.

Thoughts:
- the little projectile is quite affected by wind, however I knew that would be the case.
- First few groups were not impressive at all, so I did a quick action screw & scope ring torque check, with immediate improvement.
- no recoil, handy size with the short 18-1/2Ē barrel.

First group top left shows before the re-tension.

Immediately down to under moa after that for 5 shots. The wind was very frustrating, I reckon this is around 3/4 Moa rifle & cartridge combination in ideal conditions.

The wind was coming across just about 90 degrees

Bottom left group the only one shot where it was still for the whole group.

Canít wait to get out and use it a bit! Average 1.1 MOA in the gusty conditions today is pretty good! Especially with me behind the butt.

Since I had a little time over the last few weeks, I went ahead and floated the barrel and bedded the action. Very easy to do. I might get excited and put pillars in, donít think I need it but it should help with consistency.

Under the first inch or so of barrel:

Behind mag well and tang:

I am very pleased, will be a laser and evidently very effective. Few hares poking about will be the first test.

Ta.

Regards,
Dicko.

Last edited by D1kco; 12-09-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 AM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the write up with pictures. It likes like youíve got/made it a good one.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:09 AM
D1kco

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuy50 View Post
Thanks for the write up with pictures. It likes like youíve got/made it a good one.

Yes, Iím very happy with it! Will be a handy and effective rifle, if only the ammunition was a little more readily available. Though I will pick up 2,000 rounds next week.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:13 AM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you seen a price change over the last year? Online prices have dropped dramatically in the USA for Federal American Eagle 20gr.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 AM
D1kco

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The best around at the moment is $150 Australian for 500 rounds.

About $100 USD.

Single packets around $25-$30 Australian. Seems to be in most shops though not at bulk prices.