RAR accuracy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Rick_W
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RAR accuracy

I picked up (as in held) a RAR Target .22LR in the store the other day and really like the way it felt in my hands.

Was not crazy about the trigger. - it was considerably heavier than the Savage MK II.

I don't expect match grade accuracy but I don't want to wonder if it's me or the rifle.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:59 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have one and haven't gotten it shooting where I want it yet. Throws odd fliers. Working through its issues --it has slipped to the bottom of the pile while I work on other stuff. Mine is stainless, and I have heard that I shouldn't judge it until 500 rounds are through it. I do like that it comes threaded and uses Ruger's familiar 10-round rotary mag. But mine isn't winning any any accuracy contests so far.

Edit: BTW, the trigger can be improved with a minimum of effort. Removal of one spring and you are down to a crisp 1.5 lbs.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I have one and haven't gotten it shooting where I want it yet. Throws odd fliers. Working through its issues --it has slipped to the bottom of the pile while I work on other stuff. Mine is stainless, and I have heard that I shouldn't judge it until 500 rounds are through it. I do like that it comes threaded and uses Ruger's familiar 10-round rotary mag. But mine isn't winning any any accuracy contests so far.

Edit: BTW, the trigger can be improved with a minimum of effort. Removal of one spring and you are down to a crisp 1.5 lbs.
Thanks for the info.

I do prefer the Ruger magazine as I have a few already. That said, I prefer accuracy.

Is it cost effective, or even possible, to swap barrels on the RAR?

I believe it's possible to swap barrels on the RPRR but I don't like the "chassis".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 05:31 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
On the barrel-swap, in my opinion no. RAR bbls are pressed and pinned. They can be swapped, of course. But ordinary mortals like me would need a smith to do it. I haven't given up on the rifle, but it shoots at its price point, and a 10/22 is easier to work on. Just my opinion of course. My hope is that RAR owners who are doing well with them will chime in on this thread and share what has worked for them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
On the barrel-swap, in my opinion no. RAR bbls are pressed and pinned. They can be swapped, of course. But ordinary mortals like me would need a smith to do it. I haven't given up on the rifle, but it shoots at its price point, and a 10/22 is easier to work on. Just my opinion of course. My hope is that RAR owners who are doing well with them will chime in on this thread and share what has worked for them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:01 PM
rswink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man and machine must work in harmony.

I have over 1000 rounds in this rifle and I am very pleased with it. I think it could be better but I am not sure what to do to improve it again.

Oh, and foul the barrel, it sure doesn't like to be squeaky clean.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswink View Post
Man and machine must work in harmony.

I have over 1000 rounds in this rifle and I am very pleased with it. I think it could be better but I am not sure what to do to improve it again.

Oh, and foul the barrel, it sure doesn't like to be squeaky clean.

Nice target.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the rifle.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:09 PM
rswink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your welcome. I will say that I wanted to sell it for the first 200 rounds. I was thinking it was a horrible rifle. But, it worked its way into a great little rifle.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 AM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
I picked up (as in held) a RAR Target .22LR in the store the other day and really like the way it felt in my hands.

Was not crazy about the trigger. - it was considerably heavier than the Savage MK II.

I don't expect match grade accuracy but I don't want to wonder if it's me or the rifle.

Appreciate any feedback.

It is adjustable. It also responds well to a bit of polishing and a lighter spring (I use a pen spring). Mine now pulls about 1 1/2 pounds and felt a lot better than my MK!FVT.
The barrel is pinned as mentioned but the "chassis" or stock can be changed. I will work with any RAR aft6ermarket stock Boyds or Stockys and some others by using a rear action block from a standard RAR.
my RART in a Boyds Provarmint. KM

Last edited by mwagon; 07-08-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagon View Post
I will work with any RAR aft6ermarket stock Boyds or Stockys and some others by using a rear action block from a standard RAR.
Nice looking rig!

@mwagon: did you find that changing stocks improved your accuracy or group size? Been thinking about a stock swap myself as a way to improve groups. Still on the fence though. . .
Old 07-08-2019, 12:46 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure feels better! May have helped steady due to weight and design, accuracy is more consistent now. It did shoot very well with the factory stock so difficult to quantify. The factory Target stock now has my RAR standard 22 inch barreled action in it and works great for squirrel hunting.
KM

Last edited by mwagon; 07-08-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
I swapped a Savage 93 WMR for an RAR Compact WMR, one of the best moves I've made. Much better built, better design, more accurate.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:02 PM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
I swapped a Savage 93 WMR for an RAR Compact WMR, one of the best moves I've made. Much better built, better design, more accurate.
I must have gotten three bad ones. .22 and ,22 mag. I must be a bad shot.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:12 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
I must have gotten three bad ones. .22 and ,22 mag. I must be a bad shot.
Don't feel bad, I went through 5 bad Savages.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Don't feel bad, I went through 5 bad Savages.
LOL ! BEAT ME BY 2.