First impressions of the Federal Black Pack 36gr HV - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First impressions of the Federal Black Pack 36gr HV

A little review on the Federal Black Pack 22lr 36gr HV ammo. I've been hearing vague comments about the ammo but never a review of specifics. I got my ammo a couple of days ago and have been waiting for the weather to break so I could test out the ammunition. Today was the day where I had a window.

The weather of partly cloudy, in the mid 50's with winds to 9 mph. Mostly head on to my bench at the 50 yard range. I brought with me a CZ455 training rifle. It is topped with a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4-12x40 BDC. I also brought my Ruger Precision Rimfire topped off with an Athlon Neo 6-18x BDC. Both used the same bipod with a sand filled leather rear bag. Both had been cleaned several weeks ago after my last outing.

Prior to testing the ammo using 5 shot groups, I shot at a separate sighting in target until the groups settle down. That was usually around 15 rounds before they started to group. I shot the groups at different action screw torque settings. They were 15 in/lbs, 20 in/lbs, 25 in/lbs, and 30 in/lbs. I use these settings to find where the different types of ammo seem to group best for that particular rifle. I'll then add or subtract 2.5 in/lbs to see if that also tighten up the groups or not.

My first impressions of the ammo was that it looked much like the CCI Mini-mag 36gr. The ammo loaded fine in both my Ruger magazines, and my CZ455 5rnd magazine. I did not have any failure to fire (FTF) in both my rifles. I had issues with the last round not feeding at times in my RPR 10 round magazine. I'm thinking it might be my error for not winding the spring up enough the last time I took it apart. 100 rounds of ammunition were fired. 50 per gun.

My CZ455 trainer seemed to do best with this ammo at a torque setting of 15 in/lbs. The best five shot group was .36". As I increased the toque in increments of 5 in/lbs. the groups began to loosen up. The first round after the torque was a flier. The following 4 were within a group. I resorted to shooting a sighter round after each torque adjustment before shooting for groups. The remaining groups with the CZ were always 4 rounds in a group with 1 flyer. The largest group was just a smidge over an inch. I'm thinking that this particular gun needs several shots after the torque setting to settle down. The best group was achieved after firing 15 rounds at the 15 in/lbs setting at the sighting in target.

My Ruger Precision Rimfire seemed to do best with a torque setting of 25 in/lbs., and 27.5 in/lbs. I didn't get as tight of a group as the CZ455 but they were more consistent. The consistent groups (two of them) were at 25 and 27.5 in/lbs. The group size both measured at .56".

Final thoughts on this ammo is it's not bad. It's not the greatest but I think it would work for minute of squirrel, steel plates, pistol/revolver. My personal opinion is it would be just a tad below CCI Blazer which seems to shoot more consistently in all my rifles and handguns. I'm going to see if the Neal Waltz dies I just got will help this ammo out.

Photo #1 CZ455 Trainer

Photo #2 Ruger Precision Rimfire

Edit: I just cleaned both rifles and did not see any noticeable issues with residue. In fact they both seemed rather clean. Then again I only shot 50 rounds per rifle.

Last edited by Gmww; 11-27-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Tsb3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Pretty respectable...

For a Black Friday priced bulk pack HV ammo, that feeds and fires reliably, can't complain about that.
Thanks for the review.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:36 PM
wtn1271

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the report and details on the torque settings. Always interesting to see how small changes in the gun, weather, ammo type, etc affect accuracy.
I saw the ammo on Black Friday but wasn't familiar with it....now I know.

Last edited by wtn1271; 11-27-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 10:48 PM
65BR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock screw torque

Thanks for the report and details - would like to know more about what tools you folks use for torque settings. Thanks much. Anyone else on accuracy results on this ammo, also appreciated.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 PM
Gmww

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BR View Post
Thanks for the report and details - would like to know more about what tools you folks use for torque settings. Thanks much. Anyone else on accuracy results on this ammo, also appreciated.

Wheeler Engineering FAT (Firearm Accurizing Torque) Torque Wrench Screwdriver

Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 AM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Package Pictures

And my test. 25 yds, 3 shot groups, out of my scoped (set at 12x) Ruger 10/22 with Green Mtn 16" SS fluted bbl.

Also, it works in my Walther P22. So, I bought more.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 11-28-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Thanks, guys. Always fun to see whot the other person's results are and I've not had the opportunity to shoot any of the black pack ammo I purchased, yet.

To the OP; that 9mph head wind could account for some of the vertical stringing shown very easily, IMHO. Also found it interesting how you go about 'tuning' your rifles for a specific ammo.

Good shooting & big grins to you both.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM
65BR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good info folks. Thanks for Torque wrench info.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Gmww

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Second time out with Fed. black pack

It was sunny but cold. Temp. was 41 degree F. Winds were light and variable from front to back and visa versa. Distance was 50 yards using a bi-pod and leather rear bag filled with sand for rear rest. I was shooting from a solid wood bench sitting on concrete. Both targets show the in/lbs on the left column which indicates how much toque was used on the action screws. Across the top is the amount of turns excerpted after screwing down the Neal Waltz dies. It represent how far of a turn was made after the bullet comes in contact with the bottom of the die adjustment.

Both rifles had previously been cleaned and 10 fouling shots were done which coincided with the each groups settling down and barrel warmed up. After comparing the two sets of targets it appears that 15 in/lbs on the action screws seem to show the most consistent groups for each rifle. The Neal Waltz dies did not appear to be significantly better than the control first 5 shots without any swaging.

IMHO the Federal Black Pack 36gr was consistent in ignition. I did not have any FTF. I had one or two fliers that I could not account for. I have not weighed the loaded ammunition or measured for case thickness. I did notice while using the Neil Waltz dies that some of the bullets were of varying lengths. This prompted me to only measure the amount of turns (downward pressure) after the die came in contact with the top of the bullet.

For my purposes of hunting ground squirrels I think this is pretty good economical ammunition. As I've mentioned before I think it's just a bit less in overall performance than CCI Blazer 40gr. However it is a hollow point and it might add that little extra thump down range.

Target 1 is a Ruger Precision Rimfire with a stock barrel, topped with an Athlon Neos 4-16x40 BDC scope.

Target 2 is a CZ455 Trainer rifle. It is topped off with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4-12x40 BDC scope.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 AM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmww View Post
It was sunny but cold. Temp. was 41 degree F. Winds were light and variable from front to back and visa versa. Distance was 50 yards using a bi-pod and leather rear bag filled with sand for rear rest. I was shooting from a solid wood bench sitting on concrete. Both targets show the in/lbs on the left column which indicates how much toque was used on the action screws. Across the top is the amount of turns excerpted after screwing down the Neal Waltz dies. It represent how far of a turn was made after the bullet comes in contact with the bottom of the die adjustment.

Both rifles had previously been cleaned and 10 fouling shots were done which coincided with the each groups settling down and barrel warmed up. After comparing the two sets of targets it appears that 15 in/lbs on the action screws seem to show the most consistent groups for each rifle. The Neal Waltz dies did not appear to be significantly better than the control first 5 shots without any swaging.

IMHO the Federal Black Pack 36gr was consistent in ignition. I did not have any FTF. I had one or two fliers that I could not account for. I have not weighed the loaded ammunition or measured for case thickness. I did notice while using the Neil Waltz dies that some of the bullets were of varying lengths. This prompted me to only measure the amount of turns (downward pressure) after the die came in contact with the top of the bullet.

For my purposes of hunting ground squirrels I think this is pretty good economical ammunition. As I've mentioned before I think it's just a bit less in overall performance than CCI Blazer 40gr. However it is a hollow point and it might add that little extra thump down range.

Target 1 is a Ruger Precision Rimfire with a stock barrel, topped with an Athlon Neos 4-16x40 BDC scope.

Target 2 is a CZ455 Trainer rifle. It is topped off with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4-12x40 BDC scope.

I like those dime targets, I donít suppose you would share the jpg file?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM
aczrad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The federal black box work fine on ground squirrels, I found out this morning. Out to about 75 yards
Old 12-11-2018, 01:51 AM
Airtool
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWarhawk View Post
I like those dime targets, I donít suppose you would share the jpg file?
They're here on RFC:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=95056
Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM
VGEHTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In an indoor range,I found firing these in a .22 Goldenboy were no problem.
My MK IV had a few stove pipes,my Buckmark Plus again no problems.
Matched against Blazer’s,the Blazer’s were more accurate. But these Federal’s appeared to shoot “cleaner”.
Not bad for an el’Cheap O bullet.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally got out a few days ago and ran the Black Pack through a couple of pistols. Function was a little sketchy through my S&W Victory, ignited reliably, the next round would always make it to the chamber but occasionally the spent brass wouldn't make it all the way out of the ejection port. Accuracy wasn't bad but couldn't compete with Blazer, which this gun really likes.

Then, there was the 617-6. This gun is scoped and I was shooting rested at 25 yards, though the rest left something to be desired. I usually get about 1" groups with Blazer through this gun so the Black Pack is a nice surprise.

Last edited by TrblShtr; 12-28-2018 at 06:40 AM.