Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 03:07 AM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
64ms, Single shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Allow me to pose this question here, as I don't know of a better place to put it.

Aside from target rifles and older Mausers, what do you consider to be the best single shot bolt action sporter type .22 rifle? I know that Anschutz produced some with a 64 action in the early sixties, but I don't know the model numbers. Some of you know that I've gone into the deep end of the pool with fully optioned Canyon Creek Annies, but I started more than fifty years ago with a basic pre-war Stevens single shot bolt action, so I have a liking for that simple type of rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
64 MS was one of them -- Similar to their MSR but a 64-action single shot rifle in their thumbhole stock.

I wouldn't exactly call it a, " sporter." It doesn't have a thumb hole stock. McMillan calls it a BR50. Factory spec: Non thumb hole, stippled, Silhouette.

Some people call them , " 64MS" others call them MS64. However, It is marked on the barrel, " Model 64 Silhouette ." Depending on year.
It has also been referred to as a " Metallic Silhouette."

Far as I know, Anschutz discontinued this single shot in the 1980;s.
The gun is old.

This one has a two stage trigger grouping and can break at 5 ounces or so, like butter. From a small hole in the stock , much like the newer MPR'S it can be adjusted.

It is an excellent cold bore shooter. Grouping in the 1's or less from a first shot fired cold bore, after days and hours of being un-fired. Given the right conditions. Unlike Lee's gun that shoots less than 1's under any variables, rain or shine, no matter the cause and effect, condition. It's probably the most accurate rimfire in the world. If that were true. Which it isn't, and never has been.

In my world, the first shot counts. You get no warms up's or sighters. If your gun flings the first shot. or two, here there and everywhere, then your gun is not accurate.

Moving right along : This gun is probably older than me. I am not the first owner. I bought this gun used about 12 years ago. I paid 600.00 for it.

Edited: Steve part taken out. I remember when he first started his book. He put many hours of research into it pre-publication. This goes way back to shooters.com. Not sure if this forum was here yet. Back then lots of rimfire guys hung out there.
After re-reading my post , it almost looked like I was discrediting Steve. For that I apologize. Not my intention.

You guys gonna laugh at this. The gun is wearing a Barska 6-24x44 swat scope. I bought it about 10 years ago. I am a scope snob believe it or not.
Shooting thru the barska is like shooting thru a tunnel. The eye box is perfect for this with 0 edge shading ( always centered). It has lots of glass elements and a very shallow FOV. It's heavy and adds weight to the setup ( good stuff). The optics aren't bad, and it holds 0 mark to a dot.

At any rate, this gun is superbly accurate. It is pillard with aluminum. Using Lapua and SK it is 1's or less off sand bags on the right day. Unlike Lees gun which achieves 0's at 50 yards under any condition.

You can look at this gun and see that I use it. She and I have a symbiotic relationship. We are at one.

I would guarantee a win against Lees gun, with Lee shooting it, in real world adverse effects on accuracy over a 2 days period. He better know how to dope is all I can say. If not, he will be lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Kiss.

TS.

Last edited by TheShootist; 11-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist View Post
I wouldn't exactly call it a, " sporter." It doesn't have a thumb hole stock. McMillan calls it a BR50. Factory spec: Non thumb hole, stippled, Silhouette.

Some people call them , " 64MS" others call them MS64. However, It is marked on the barrel, " Model 64 Silhouette ." Depending on year.

The gun is old.

This one has a two stage trigger grouping and can break at 5 ounces or so, like butter. From a small hole in the stock , much like the newer MPR'S it can be adjusted.

It is an excellent cold bore shooter. Grouping in the 1's or less from a first shot fired cold bore, after days and hours of being un-fired. Given the right conditions. Unlike Lee's gun that shoots less than 1's under any variables, rain or shine, no matter the cause and effect, condition. It's probably the most accurate rimfire in the world. If that were true. Which it isn't, and never has been.

In my world, the first shot counts. You get no warms up's or sighters. If your gun flings the first shot. or two, here there and everywhere, then your gun is not accurate.

Moving right along : This gun is probably older than me. I am not the first owner. I bought this gun used about 12 years ago. I paid 600.00 for it.

There is most likely some carbon in that barrel from years and years of shots.
Obviously, light streaks of carbon coloring, in an otherwise exceptional bore, have 0 to do with cold bore fliers. As mentioned previously in other threads, this, Mythical, cause of inaccuracy, is all too often parroted. And it is not only misleading. It is a lie.

Yes I know. Steve wrote a book. Before he wrote his book , guess where he was getting his info from. Anybody? Way wayyy back. Shooters dot com. And guess who were informing him and giving him tips for his book? You guessed it. People like you.

This is not to discredit Steve. His book is informative and he put a lot of time into it. When it comes to this carbon ring myth, unless its built up to the point of not being able to load a projectile, this part of the book in incorrect.
It also means that you have let this build up for many many years,,,,,and years......and years. Oh and guess what. The projectile is going to go as consistent as the barrel lets it. It's entirely possible that someone has a gun with a carbon ring somewhere.......firing accurately, and then INaccurately after scrubbing the bore and chamber to new geometry. You won't find that in Steves book.

We have moved into a world where and when the truth offends, it must be silenced. This is usually due to the outcry of followers. Not leaders. It goes up the chain of command, until someone at the top disagrees with truth and opinion. It is then silenced. This doesn't make it any less true.

You guys gonna laugh at this. The gun is wearing a Barska 6-24x44 swat scope. I bought it about 10 years ago. I am a scope snob believe it or not.
Shooting thru the barska is like shooting thru a tunnel. The eye box is perfect for this with 0 edge shading ( always centered). It has lots of glass elements and a very shallow FOV. It's heavy and adds weight to the setup ( good stuff). The optics aren't bad, and it holds 0 mark to a dot.

At any rate, this gun is superbly accurate. It is pillard with aluminum. Using Lapua and SK it is 1's or less off sand bags on the right day. Unlike Lees gun which achieves 0's at 50 yards under any condition.

You can look at this gun and see that I use it. She and I have a symbiotic relationship. We are at one.

I would guarantee a win against Lees gun, with Lee shooting it, in real world adverse effects on accuracy over a 2 days period. He better know how to dope is all I can say. If not, he will be lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Kiss.

TS.

I'm not quite sure what to make of TS's post...... Anyway, that is a very nice pic of an MS64...or is that 64MS?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
I'm not quite sure what to make of TS's post...... Anyway, that is a very nice pic of an MS64...or is that 64MS?
A late Friday night post on Thanksgiving weekend that may well be removed when the OP finds what he's done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2018, 09:19 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
OK, I'll jump on the skinny limb. I have one like the OP pictured, and I am steered in the direction by the sticky that it is a Talo Silhouette 1983. Accuracy with the tuner:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...42#post9861842

Very well built and one of my "keepers". My borescope tells me this one has been well taken care of. ......... AH
Old 11-24-2018, 01:25 PM
KREEPY

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got one as well and it’s in my top 3 favorite shooters! It’s a great offhand rifle. Mine only says silhouette no mention of metal.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:39 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Problem is that too many States legalized dope! brings out all types

I still think the Feds should make you take a test before you are allowed to buy a gun

Lee
Hardy har har.
As not funny as that was, I agree with you.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Siloshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

The gun is old.

Edited: Steve part taken out. I remember when he first started his book. He put many hours of research into it pre-publication. This goes way back to shooters.com. Not sure if this forum was here yet. Back then lots of rimfire guys hung out there.
After re-reading my post , it almost looked like I was discrediting Steve. For that I apologize. Not my intention.

Kiss.

TS.

==================================================
I have one that looks like the photo. Mine also has "64 Silhouette" stamped on the barrel and the hole in the side of the stock for trigger adjustment. I have never seen a picture of a 64 MS with a thumb hole stock. If someone has one please post a picture.
Like others have stated, these guns are extremely accurate. Mine is too and I was more than pleased the first time I shot it. My gun likes SK Standard +.

The balance and feel of the 64 MS is about perfect. It is a svelte, comfortable rifle. The gun seems to naturally balance from a standing position and remain locked on target. I'm using mine for the first time in a Silhouette match Sunday. Don't know why Anschutz stopped making this model and the 54 MS. You don't see these rifles come up for sale too often. People seem to hold on to them.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:48 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KREEPY View Post
I got one as well and itís in my top 3 favorite shooters! Itís a great offhand rifle. Mine only says silhouette no mention of metal.
Yep. Also, no mention of "Talo" either. I got the "Talo" from the sticky. Fine rifle it is. I keep records of the torque settings, and I have 4 different ones that work. It is just a fine rifle. ...... AH
Old 11-25-2018, 03:14 AM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Yep. Also, no mention of "Talo" either. I got the "Talo" from the sticky. Fine rifle it is. I keep records of the torque settings, and I have 4 different ones that work. It is just a fine rifle. ...... AH
The gun is stamped on the barrel , right side, as you look down the barrel from a shouldered position : Anschutz Model 64 Silhouette

Left side in the same area : Cal .22 Long Rifle

I have no idea what Talo refers to.
I know that the gun is at least 29 years old.
It probably has some carbon, somewhere, in the barrel. Or the chamber. Or both.

When I clean the barrel, I use pull through patches with a solvent. I have never put a rod down it, nor a wire brush, brass or whatnot.

This is what it does from a cold bore. Shots 1-8 at 5:02 PM - 11/24
And shots 1-5, four hours later at 9:07pm - 11/24

Im fond of its vertical hold. Even with the slight change in angle, the groups nearly mirror each other.

Equipment used: Sand bags. The target bull is .25 of an inch.
Conditions: Calm.
Ammo : SK standard plus. Unsorted.

Im still waiting.

Don't make me put My Cooper on you Lee.

T.S. - Registered Trademark -Copyright 2018

Last edited by TheShootist; 11-25-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:31 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter;11242211[B
]From your posting it looks like you went and read all my post from the past.as you mentioned some key words that you never before have.
I am honored to have you as my first [U]TROLL! after nearly 8-years nobody ever trolled me. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I AM DEEPLY HONORED!
in your honor 100yds. 1-shot at each groundhog, the ARA sighter is for reference as to how big the center of the bull is

by the way I shoot at a range with others who can see my results and as this pictures shows can have some wind, care to share pictures of your range where you shot those targets
IBS side match 50yd relay see the targets in the distance they are at 300 yds. CFBR shooters in a sanctioned match so they saw that target at a 100yds.

now you want a challenge go join the NORTH AMERICAN RIMFIRE POSTAL MATCHES contact Bill and he will set you up
[email protected]
now you need to have someone score you targets( to keep things honest ) and I assure you I have access to IBS/USBRA match directors to score mines

unless you are going to be there in March at Rio Salado where our scores will be posted Nationally for everyone to see!

Lee
Nah, Im not trolling you. Maybe polkin at you a little but im not a very good stalker. The Key words? I dont know. 8 long years and no Trolls? That's almost unheard of if you frequent the internet. Probably some kinda record.

Anyways, thats a pretty nice rig you got there. Im particularly fond of the rest.
I need to get me one of those one of these days.

Targets are good. Cherry picked, but still good. Im assuming you only shoot when you can get to the range?

My range is not nearly as formal. Its the back yard. The rest I use is not nearly as nice as yours. Just some caldwell sand bags. I dont think they use real sand. More like a cat litter by product,,,,,or foam beads or something. They were cheap. I had a good pair of san angelo bags, with real sand. But over the many years of practice, they degraded and I havent been able to locate a new pair. For a while I was sandbag-Less and used some of these things you find in the back of cargo trailers that absorb moisture ....but after a while the powder turns to mud and they get ripped and start leaking. It's just a mess. So I finally broke down and let 25 bucks squeak out at cabelas.

Weathers pretty nasty around here lately so the range doesnt look so great.
Most of the time it looks like this. You cant see it because its on the far right side over by the treeline.

I can go back about as far as I want. All that back there is mine. I have Otters, Gators, Hogs, Deer, turkey, Beaver, rabbits, bobcat, bear, ducks, and three days ago I was watching two bald eagles at about 110 yards away. Ive also watched Osprey dive for fish here.

So yeah, im not as formal. To me an accurate gun, is one you can count on the first shot......if it flings the first shot from a cold bore...its useless to me.........And well, I dont have a garden. But I can surely shove it in the ground out there somewhere.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:49 AM
KREEPY

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Do the Turkeys have large talons?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Huh?

Quote:
.....To me an accurate gun, is one you can count on the first shot......if it flings the first shot from a cold bore...its useless to me.

Every hunting rifle I've owned gets sighted in for a cold bore shot.

Target rifles get sighted in with a warm barrel ...Tom
Old 11-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Wahoo57
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Shootist, try using shotgun shot. I fill my bags with #9 shot left over from my days of trying to shoot skeet. The lead shot does not deteriorate nor does it attract or hold moisture. Small shot can be packed in there until you can't dent the bag or you can leave a little slack. Shot larger than #7 doesn't seem to pack as well as #8 or #9.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:02 AM
KREEPY

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
But do the turkeys have large talons?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:33 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Yes that is a fact if you hunt you zero for a cold bore first shot.
ask any sniper trained shooter they know where that first shot will go regardless,if it is their rifle they are shooting.
Lee
That would be nice if it were possible with a rimfire.
Unfortunately, with rimfire, the cold bore flier phenomenon doesn't allow for sighting in the money shot as the first shot can go anywhere, left , right, up, down, angles to the right and high......or low left and any combination thereof. That's the problem. If the first shot from a cold bore in a rimfire went to the same POI every time, it would not present a problem.

But this is not what it does.

Here is a list of rifles that exhibited this trait.

Two 10/22's
One Sako P94S
One Kimber SVT. Yonkers.
One remington 513 T.
Three CZ's- will never own another one.
Every NS-522 I ever owned, except one, and I had about 6 of them.
This is the short list over many years. There were more.

Not to mention the numerous complaints about this phenomenon from many other guns, both here on this forum and worldwide on the internet. So its not a rare problem. It's a frequent problem. Again, not to mention those who do have the problem; and don't even know it because they never tested for it.
This would include some of you.

As to the turkey talon question from the bird expert , above. They have spurs. And if you're trying to troll me, have fun trying. It will be a massive failure. You probably have a better chance of being struck by lightening, or knocked unconscious by a small comet.

Copyright- T.S.

Last edited by TheShootist; 11-29-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Closed Thread