Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:31 PM
spook24

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
10-22 mach 2 barrels Any for sale

Guys I am wanting a 17 mach 2 barrel for a 10-22. Would like to have a heavy bolt handle as well. I was seeing if anyone had one or Knew where to get one at. It is becoming my favorite round.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Whistle Pig does barrrls and possibly ER Shaw. There is a guy on a couple of the Ruger FB pages that sells bolts and bolt/barrel kits. Can’t think of his name. Have seen some people machine out a spot in the bolt and replace it with heavier metal...Tungsten I believe. Can’t remember the weight they take it to. Good luck, great round ime.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
You could possibly ask Fred at Federsen Barrels. He is a great guy; makes awesome barrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's my favorite round as well.
I PMed you yesterday check it out.

SS
Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When the 17HM2 was first released there was a demand for 10/22 barrels for it. Then the problems started with the conversions. The heavy bolt and other home remedies didn't fix the problem of out of battery firing, case splits, and other similar problems.

It was surmised that the the 10/22 was a poor choice for the much different pressure curve of the 17HM2 verses the 22LR. The 10/22 works perfectly with the mild gas pressures of 22LR. It is a rather crude gun for the high pressures and gas vs time curve of the 17HM2. Several manufacturer of the barrels backed away from the conversion and dropped providing barrels. Several gun manufacturers dropped plans to convert their 22LR semi-automatic guns to 17HM2. Then there were the case splitting problem with the 17HM2 ammo used in any gun.

I have no idea if anyone solved either the case splitting (big Hornady/CCI ammo problem) or the conversion process of the 10/22 to 17HM2. But I would do a bunch of research, if I were you, before spending a dime on such a conversion. It is not plug and play.

As an aside, at the induction time of the 17HM2 cartridge, I bought a CZ bolt gun in 17HM2 and found that Eley ammo was twice as accurate as the Hornady/CCI 17HM ammo. Remington ammo split the difference. I understand that both the Remington and the Eley ammo are no longer available. But I found even the Eley was no more accurate than a good 22LR ammo in a gun that liked that ammo. Hunters claim it offers a big advantage for them (high velocity, pointed bullets, usable at longer ranges, faster kill due to more energy dumped into prey) which I believe is true. But it was a disappointment to me because I don't hunt and was looking for that laser accurate round which the 17HM2 is not.

LDBennett
Old 09-21-2018, 05:05 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I converted my 10/22s from 17HM2 back to their original .22LR and threw most of the 17HM2 related parts away to avoid any potential personal injury litigation. I kept a couple of 96/17 barrels from GM in case I want to rework them to fit a different action, like a Remington 580 series or a Winchester 320.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:13 PM
917M2Sfan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
When the 17HM2 was first released there was a demand for 10/22 barrels for it. Then the problems started with the conversions. The heavy bolt and other home remedies didn't fix the problem of out of battery firing, case splits, and other similar problems.

It was surmised that the the 10/22 was a poor choice for the much different pressure curve of the 17HM2 verses the 22LR. The 10/22 works perfectly with the mild gas pressures of 22LR. It is a rather crude gun for the high pressures and gas vs time curve of the 17HM2. Several manufacturer of the barrels backed away from the conversion and dropped providing barrels. Several gun manufacturers dropped plans to convert their 22LR semi-automatic guns to 17HM2. Then there were the case splitting problem with the 17HM2 ammo used in any gun.

I have no idea if anyone solved either the case splitting (big Hornady/CCI ammo problem) or the conversion process of the 10/22 to 17HM2. But I would do a bunch of research, if I were you, before spending a dime on such a conversion. It is not plug and play.

As an aside, at the induction time of the 17HM2 cartridge, I bought a CZ bolt gun in 17HM2 and found that Eley ammo was twice as accurate as the Hornady/CCI 17HM ammo. Remington ammo split the difference. I understand that both the Remington and the Eley ammo are no longer available. But I found even the Eley was no more accurate than a good 22LR ammo in a gun that liked that ammo. Hunters claim it offers a big advantage for them (high velocity, pointed bullets, usable at longer ranges, faster kill due to more energy dumped into prey) which I believe is true. But it was a disappointment to me because I don't hunt and was looking for that laser accurate round which the 17HM2 is not.

LDBennett
Beyond 50 yards, my 1502 with Eley 17HM2 has been consistently more accurate than any .22LR ammo in my Remington 37s or Winchester 52s.

When Eley was making 17HM2 it was my impression that the Eley 17HM2 was about as accurate as their mid-grade .22LR ammo. Without Eley in the market, I'd like to see CCI/Hornady raise the performance of their 17HM2 ammo.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If Eley is no longer available then isn't its accuracy at any range academic moving forward? Hornady/CCI was the worst of the then available three (4) ammos. If that is all you can get today haven't we lost?

My CZ Varmint in 17HM2 is a great gun. Too bad I did not buy it in 22LR. But I do have my Anschutz Silhouette (64 action with two stage trigger) that is a laser accurate rifle. I also have my CMP Kimber 82 Government that shoots well, too.

While a bit disappointed in 17HM2 ammo, I still have a supply of original Eley ammo. with the little I shoot the gun, it should last longer than me.

LDBennett
Old 09-21-2018, 09:07 PM
917M2Sfan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
If Eley is no longer available then isn't its accuracy at any range academic moving forward? Hornady/CCI was the worst of the then available three (4) ammos. If that is all you can get today haven't we lost?

My CZ Varmint in 17HM2 is a great gun. Too bad I did not buy it in 22LR. But I do have my Anschutz Silhouette (64 action with two stage trigger) that is a laser accurate rifle. I also have my CMP Kimber 82 Government that shoots well, too.

While a bit disappointed in 17HM2 ammo, I still have a supply of original Eley ammo. with the little I shoot the gun, it should last longer than me.

LDBennett
I have over 12,000 rounds of 17HM2 on the shelf; CCI x5,000, Eley x2,800, Hornady x2,250, Remington x1,950, and a dozen or so open/partial boxes from all four manufacturers. But I have 9 rifles chambered in 17HM2, 4 that I shoot fairly regularly, and I sincerely hope that it won't last longer than me!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:08 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just past the national average longevity age so I am pretty sure my beneficiaries will still have ammo left after my demise the very little I shoot my one 17HM2 rifle.

LDBennett
Old 09-22-2018, 04:20 PM
917M2Sfan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
I just past the national average longevity age so I am pretty sure my beneficiaries will still have ammo left after my demise the very little I shoot my one 17HM2 rifle.

LDBennett
I'm only 63 and the men in my family tend to live into their mid-90's, so I figure that I'm only 2/3 of the way through with at least 30 years yet to go.

Neither of my kids are interested in shooting sports, or outdoor sports in general, so I plan to reduce my firearms accumulation down to a manageable level somewhere in the 150 to 200 units range over the next decade or so.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:09 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both my kids have an interest but my girl just loves guns. She just keeps buying guns. Her and her husband make my collection (which is plenty of guns) look like that of a pauper. She is signed up to get all of my guns except for a few I have already given to my son and his kids.

My family's longevity is a mixed bag. My Mom lived into her late 80's but my Dad left us in his 60's. His parents both live into their 90's as did my Mom's mother but my granfather on my Mom's side only made it to his 60's. With the bunches of pills I have to take, no telling what my fate is.

LDBennett
Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917M2Sfan View Post
I converted my 10/22s from 17HM2 back to their original .22LR and threw most of the 17HM2 related parts away to avoid any potential personal injury litigation. I kept a couple of 96/17 barrels from GM in case I want to rework them to fit a different action, like a Remington 580 series or a Winchester 320.
I've got a 96 22/17Hm2 combo, at present it's sporting the 17HM2 unlike the 10-22
the 96 (never as popular as 10-22) fires from a locked breech... no need for a heavy bolt and it's accurate never a split case on that one.I had several barrels the only
difference was 2 cuts on the barrel face on 96 vs one on the 10-22 I can't remember now if the 96 had a twin extractors?
Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reason there are no problems with the 95 and 17HM2 is the locked breech action of the 96. But...... The 96 is a lever action and that is why the breech is locked. A bolt action gun also fires form a locked breech.

The point of this post was converting a 10/22 to 17HM2. The 10/22 is a blowback operated gun where the breech is NOT locked during firing. That feature is the main problem with the 10/22 conversion to 17HM2. There is also the crudeness of the 10/22. It was never designed to handle the different and excessively high gas pressures from the 17HM2 cartridge.

If you don't really care if the the cartridge is laser accurate (as it was advertised to be) and you need the hunting performance of the 17HM2 then a bolt (or lever action) will fit your needs. For the rest of us this cartridge was a big disappointment. Sales and availability kind of indicate our disappointment.

LDBennett
Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The reason there are no problems with the 95 and 17HM2 is the locked breech action of the 96. But...... The 96 is a lever action and that is why the breech is locked. A bolt action gun also fires form a locked breech.

The point of this post was converting a 10/22 to 17HM2. The 10/22 is a blowback operated gun where the breech is NOT locked during firing. That feature is the main problem with the 10/22 conversion to 17HM2. There is also the crudeness of the 10/22. It was never designed to handle the different and excessively high gas pressures from the 17HM2 cartridge.

If you don't really care if the the cartridge is laser accurate (as it was advertised to be) and you need the hunting performance of the 17HM2 then a bolt (or lever action) will fit your needs. For the rest of us this cartridge was a big disappointment. Sales and availability kind of indicate our disappointment.

LDBennett
I have no quarrel with anything you say about the 10-22 and the HM2. I like the caliber and still use it in a converted 10-22. my barrel and Heavy bolt were made by E Arthur Brown Company, they did a good job of it. I have not experienced split cases in this barrel. Granted the 17 HM2 works best from a locked or semi locked breech. It is a varmint getter in both my 96 and a Savage MK II and unfortunately was not the optimum in the blow back 10-22.
Yes I totally agree with you in sales and disappointment.
I was sad at the demise of the Thompson R55 in that caliber as well.

SS