Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:43 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody Bought Remington Ammo Lately?

I see a lot of the 525 packs again at Walmart again. I used to buy them sometimes for hunting with then were $10 a brick. Some bricks were OK but some had a lot of duds and defects. Not sure if I want to spend near $30 investigating current Remington quality. Anybody buy a recent 525 box at Walmart that can comment on their accuracy and consistency?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:07 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Friends dont let friends buy Remington .22 ammo.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:07 PM
dave19113

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to dave19113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I see a lot of the 525 packs again at Walmart again. I used to buy them sometimes for hunting with then were $10 a brick. Some bricks were OK but some had a lot of duds and defects. Not sure if I want to spend near $30 investigating current Remington quality. Anybody buy a recent 525 box at Walmart that can comment on their accuracy and consistency?

Nope... for me its the 550 Federal 36gr hp.... Works great in all of my 22's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Golden Bullets are OK

recent production, packed in boxes, not "bulk buckets", are just fine. My Rem Nylons love GBs.

I would stay away from Thunderbolts though.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:17 PM
retiredsarge48

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
No Remington here.....For Dave 19113, I used to like the Federal 550 packs but the last ones I bought functioned just fine but the accuracy was like shooting a scatter gun. In fact I'm will be selling the two unopened boxes that I have.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Mike09
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
recent production, packed in boxes, not "bulk buckets", are just fine. My Rem Nylons love GBs.

I would stay away from Thunderbolts though.
I've been running the GBs for 2 years or so in my 10-22 and Rem 597. Accuracy is decent but groups are slightly larger than Mini Mags or Aguila SX through the same guns. No failures although I have detected what sounds like a light load of powder on rare occasions.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:11 PM
rinardman

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've been buying the 525 packs of Golden Bullets, since the local WM started getting them on a regular basis. I shoot them mainly in my RAR and GSG Firefly pistol. They shoot good in both. In fact, the Firefly is really picky, and the GBs are about the only thing I've found that it will shoot reliably. I have an occasional FTF in the Firefly, but not enough to worry about. I don't recall ever having any problems with it in the RAR, and it shoots reasonably accurately for normal ammo.

I'm sorry if that upsets any Remington ammo haters, but that's just my experience.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:14 PM
dave19113

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to dave19113
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredsarge48 View Post
No Remington here.....For Dave 19113, I used to like the Federal 550 packs but the last ones I bought functioned just fine but the accuracy was like shooting a scatter gun. In fact I'm will be selling the two unopened boxes that I have.

Yes, I have seen the inconsistencies with the Fed 550. For me its just plinking ammo. I do see some boxes better than others. When I find a good box I put it aside.

Then just use the rest in my 617 or henry For 25 yard clay bird shooting
Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 PM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I haven't bought any Remington rimfire ammo since 1990, and I don't intend to start now. Or never.

≡✪≡
Old 08-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Friends dont let friends buy Remington .22 ammo.
There oughta be a law!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
There oughta be a law!!!
Why a law? Just exercise good judgement!

Actually, Crappington shoots better than Federal has in my rifles here lately. I bought one box of Golden Bullets awhile back, and tried them in various rifles I have. While the reports were noticeable in their variety, they shoot fairly well, versus a couple different flavors of Federal I was trying at the same time.

However, I won't be buying any more Crappington or Federal. I have better results with Winchester, Browning, CCI and Aguila. For some oddball reason, they charge a minimal premium for Crappington, it's usually a couple bucks MORE per hundred. Either way, filthy Remington or horrible Federal, won't be sullying my rifles any more.

Last edited by glennasher; 08-05-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I haven't bought any Remington rimfire ammo since 1990, and I don't intend to start now. Or never.
Same here, with the exception I bought 300 rounds of Golden Bullets back here a couple years ago at the end of the most recent "Great Ammo Shortage". Desperation over ruled common sense. Never again. Still junk like it was 20-30 years ago. It's now at the point I refuse to buy Remington center fire ammo. The worse part about it all, Remington doesn't care. Profit for the share holders is all that matters.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:35 PM
jkingrph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, and probably will not. I still have numerous bricks of Winchester superx from years back that I paid $10.00/brick, along with a quantity of CCI mini mag, and I just recently got two cases of Geco for bolt action, my guns seen to like that stuff.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Antonio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only decent-priced bulk ammo currently available here are Winchester 555/333s and Remington HP GBs & Thunderbolts. The Winchesters have some issues in some of our guns, specially fitting in the chamber and/or extracting ('60s Walther PPk, FN SA-22, Zastava Precision Mannlicher and others) but same guns won't show those problems at all with Remingtons.
Haven't personally tested the GBs yet but some friends have and report no problems. Decent accuracy for both models for casual target practice or plinking, considering price and past reputation. We still remember the early '00s lots and those were surely dangerous crap since faulty powder loads resulted in quite a few bullets stuck in the barrels and even bulged ones when shooter wasn't careful, and down here that meant a useless firearm since those spares aren't imported, but with recent production it seems like Remington got its act together for good.

Last edited by Antonio; 08-06-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have not had any problems with remingtons golden ammo..
In my Nylon 66s..
Works good in my Ruger standard markll pistol.